Options

d300s battery issue

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited February 16, 2013 in Cameras
Ive had my d300s for almost 2 years now. Since that time ive had a grip installed. When the grip is installed the display will normally show the strength of the battery in the grip lit up (until its dead) and the battery strength of the battery in the camera grayed out, until its being used. Lately ive noticed the the battery in the camera doesnt show the battery strength, just an outline of the battery, even though the battery has a full charge. Like it sees the battery but the battery is dead even though thats not the case. If remove the grip and then reinstall it, it then shows the battery strength dimmed out. But if I turn the camera off and let it sit for a while, after turn on its back to not showing battery strength. So far if i leave the grip off it sees the battery strength fine. Any ideas what could be going on? connection issue? with grip or with in the camera?
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013
    Are the batteries nikon branded? What does the battery life cycle meter on tha battery page say about the battery condition?
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2013
    Yes batteries are Nikon brand. meter says....d300s bat meter 81% pic meter 11 battery age 0, mb d10 82% pic meter 101 battery age 0. i dont know if thats good or bad.
    D300s D90

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,841 moderator
    edited February 15, 2013
    Clean all of the contacts; battery contacts, camera body side and grip side. A fresh red pencil eraser is best for this but don't let any eraser dust remain in any of the chambers. Then use a fresh, plain white paper towel to burnish any contact surfaces.

You don't have to be rough or use a lot of pressure. You're just trying to remove any corrosion, oxidation and dirt on the contact surfaces.

Test after re-assembly. If the same results as before, purchase all new batteries and test again.

If you continue to have problems after trying all of the above you have either a grip failure or a mechanical/coupling failure (which can be either camera side or grip side) and that requires sending in both the body and the grip for service and/or repair.

(You could try buying/borrowing/renting another grip and/or body to rule out which type of failure.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2013
    I will try cleaning the contacts first, thanks Ziggy
    D300s D90

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    Nikon didn't upgrade their battery door system until the D800 generation, unfortunately. (The little latch inside the compartment that keeps the battery snug up against the contacts, even if the actual door is open)

SO, on my D200 / D300 / D700, I usually put a layer or three of thick tape (packing tape, gaffers tape) on the inside of the battery door to give the battery a little extra push up onto the contacts. This seems to solve the problem.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum