Options

Does anyone sublet their studio? Any advice?

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited February 16, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
It occurred to me that since I only do portraits in the evening, I could in theory sublet my studio to someone during normal business hours to bring in some extra money. But then I risk giving a key to my studio and all its equipment to a stranger. So for those that have done this, what have you done to help minimize the risk?

Security Deposit? Check them out on facebook? Request references? :)

I will probably put my denny backdrops in a tote and keep those in my car, but I will probably have to leave the strobes for them to use, and the laptop for picture viewings comes home with me. Other than the strobes there isnt much of value in the studio for now until I get that large screen tv for picture viewings. :)

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 15, 2013
    create a secure lockup for your equipment so the "naked space" can be leased.

if you choose you can lease tripods, umbrellas, etc on an as-needed basis, separate from the space lease.
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013
    so have them bring in their own strobes, etc? I figured I would have to at least let them use that. :)
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    so have them bring in their own strobes, etc? I figured I would have to at least let them use that. :)

Studios here are generally leased bare and the equipment is an extra if you want it.
    They will generally provide coffee and tea facilities in the kitchen but if you want to use the kitchen for a food shoot and use the stoves, ovens and utensils, That's extra too.

You could set a price with and without gear. You would also want to keep your market and facilities in mind. Generally pro l;evel studios offer better facilities than those aimed at the keen amateurs.