Too much bokeh?

Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited February 17, 2013 in People
This was shot at f4 and 80mm. Thinking maybe f8 would have been better? I want the scope out of focus, but I think it's a little too much so...
i-h4TdcX7-L.jpg

Another version, but I like the first one better.
i-fRb5DMD-L.jpg

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Clark
I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 15, 2013
    It depends upon your intent and your "vision" for the piece. I suggest that yes, I would want the 'scope and the shooter to be in focus, with the background out-of-focus. A very good way to accomplish this in a single shot is to use a tilt-shift lens, or (better yet) a camera with complete tilt-shift movements for both the lens and the focal plane (as you have in a "view camera".)

Another way to accomplish this is using multiple exposure "slices" of different focus distances, and then using either special software "or" compositing the elements in post-processing in the manner which best suits your intentions.

To see an example of using the special software that's available for "focus stacking":

http://www.stevemackayphotography.com/section363141_130929.html

... and this example just for your image:

http://www.heliconsoft.com/images/animation/rifle/index.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    Personally, and this is just me and my tastes, I'd go for either none (everything in focus) or nothing in focus but his face.

As they currently stand, what bothers me more than the "bokeh" is the phallic type shadow on his face in number 1.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2013
    ... or nothing in focus but his face.

... or even just his 'scope eye.

ie angle / pose / pov of 2, but filling the frame as 1, lose the glasses + shoot wide open.

... but, as ziggy says, it obviously depends on what you're after ...

pp
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2013
    Optically confusing photos. At the same time too much bokeh and not enough in areas. The shadow catches your eye as well as the sky as well as the bokeh on the gloved hands. Do like the shoot thru scope mounts!!