Options

New Calibrtion has turned my monitor a blue tint - help!

den_sden_s Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited February 18, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
I'm using a Spyder 3 Pro. Yesterday I recalibrated and my images have a blue tint. I've recalibrated (over and over) and it has my brightness control to zero in order to "adjust" to its recommended settings. I've used the Spyder 3 Pro for several years and not had this problem before.

I'm using:
Windows 7
Dell 2209WA Monitor

When I click to see the calibrated view my soft warm tones of my image turn cold and blue. I've printed a number of images using the print options with SmugMug and never had an issue with the final outcome, so I've not been working with a "tilted" vision...

Any ideas why it would change on me like this? I'm normally a patient man, but this has me going a bit crazy......

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    One problem of diagnosing this issue when your having an outside vendor print is the time factor and lack of control.

I don't understand your statement of "when I click to see the calibrated view". Your latest monitor calibration profile should be the one loaded as your monitor default, and you should be using this profile all the time.

You could prepare one image using the warm profile and one using the cool profile and send it out to the printer. Don't go through SmugMug send it direct and make sure you instruct the lab NOT to color correct. When using the monitor profile (with the alleged blue tint) process the the image to look normal. If it looks normal to me and or the print matches your monitor than the calibration is correct.

If you want you can send me a processed file or link here to examples of the warm and blue images. I can view them on my profiled monitor and let you know what I see.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2013
    When Spyder has completed the calibration process, there is a place to click to see the difference between calibrated and uncalibrated. The color difference is very noticeable. I don't know how to switch between the two in order to send an example of each. What I'm puzzled with is why it has done this now, when I've used it so many times before and had nothing like this occur. The only thing I've done different with my computer is add 4 gb of ram this past week.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    Did you change the color temperature? If you let it change to a recommended color like 5000 or 5500 versus 6500, then there could be a noticeable blue compared to what you may have in the past.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2013
    It was at 6500 but has changed to 5000. I can't seem to find where to change it back. I'll focus on that and tell you if it brings it back to where it should be. This is driving me crazy looking at this.............

switched it back to 6500 and it's still blue. I can't get my brightness control on the monitor to drop enough to achieve the number the software is wanting. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    I believe it is the second page of the "step by Step" calibration where it asks for your white point. I use 6500k. Later in the step by step, it can ask you to switch to recommended settings, versus what you put in the calibration settings page, so it could be changing it during the actual calibration to the other white point.
    BTW, The calibrated view almost always looks a little bluer than uncalibrated to me regardless of which monitor or white point I use.
    I try to set my monitor brightness to 100 for best printing results, and I usually have to turn my monitor setting to less than 10%. If you cannot get your monitor down all the way don't sweat it. Just remember to use printing adjustments to bump your brightness (10-20%), and contrast to compensate when you are ready to print your images.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2013
    I switched it back to 6500, and still the same thing. What's frustrating is that I didn't have this problem until 2 days ago. I don't understand what changed from the last time I calibrated.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2013
    Sill, no answers to this. I've contacted Datacolor (Spyder mfr) and my request for assistance has gone unanswered. I'm very frustrated.....