Options

Close to home Landscapes (handful of images)

ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited March 6, 2013 in Landscapes
The past few weeks I've been trying to explore areas pretty close to home. Most of these are popular places, but with a couple friends, I was able to find even some spots I wasn't familiar with just by walking a tad further, or different times of year and even day. I've only been shooting for a couple years, so it is fun going back to all the favorite local places and looking at them with a completely different set of eyes.

C&C or any sort of thoughts/comments are always welcome.

This first shot is from Ona Beach. During the summer and such, these rocks are covered in sand, and during the winter, they are normally uncovered even more depending on the storms we've had. This year has been a pretty mild winter..... so far. This is a very popular state park with a lot of open stretches of beach with no rocks, a big grassy area with picnic tables etc... but if you walk south maybe 1/4 mile, around a bend you see this!
Ona%20Beach%20Sunset%20Feb16-46_HDR-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

This one here is from Seal Rock, which I shoot once or twice a week since I drive by it to/from work. Found this little overlook off of the trail through the forest I had not explored yet and enjoyed what I found with the tree in front. Yes it's mostly the common dead tree, but it still adds another element to the usual vast rocky seascapes on Seal Rock
Seal%20Rock%20Sunset%20Feb5-77-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

These next two are from Risley Creek road (forest service road) about 7 miles up Highway34 (Alsea Highway). I have driven up this road many times for work, since our headend equipment and antennas are on the top of the hill, but never during a time for great light. Decided to duck out early one day and see what I could find.
First one here I just love the glow from the heavy warm back light through the white alders.
ASC_0434-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg
and this one was just a tad further up the hill, and of course quite a few minutes later.
ASC_0382-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

This last one here is from just south of Heceta Head Lighthouse. There is a remote stretch of beach with no groomed trail or normal access. At the south end of the tunnel, there's a tiny tiny path through the brush that someone made and it's steep leading down to the beach. You have to go at low tide otherwise it's not safe and covered in water. Down parts of the path there are ropes that are required to go up and down, no repelling or anything, but steep and slick enough you wouldn't want to try without them. You can find the Google maps location here - http://goo.gl/maps/YIxL2
Heceta%20Head%20Feb10-80-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2013
    I really like number one. The color, composition, exposure are great.

Sam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 19, 2013
    Cool photos. I like the first two and the last one the best Zach. I love the backlighting in #3, but the color balance looks a bit off, as does #4.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    Really like #1... love that vibrant green.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    #1 is exceptional!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited February 19, 2013
    These are really nice. +1 on #1. That entire sea coast is on my must visit list.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Davis BDavis B Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    The first and third ones really standout. The third one has some fantastic light on the moss.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    quite the color. I actually like the third one but maybe just a tad less saturation...(maybe my monitor) but I think that one has mood1 but then I like dead trees.
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    Thanks for the comments everyone! The first one is one of my personal favorites, and number 3 definitely had an amazing glow with the moss.

I'll toy around with the suggestions for them as well and see what happens. Of course the color was brought out some, and I do use a cheap, but calibrated, monitor, so it's very possible I went a bit far. It seems easy to do for me lol.
  • Options
    LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2013
    #1 for me too. The green on the rocks just pops out!
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    I love the third image with the sun backlighting the alders. It's very fine.