Options

Advise on some equipment

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited February 24, 2013 in People
Im looking to get into doing some out door portrait stuff. I found this image and it looks like a setup that would not be too expensive considering I already have an sb900 strobe. Does this look like a good starter setup? I dont really no too much about lighting so can anyone point out all the equipment being used?
Photo by: arielphotography.com
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    www.strobist.com

Go forth and reading "Lighting 101" - it will get you started!!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    I dont really no too much about lighting so can anyone point out all the equipment being used?

One hot model, red bra, white panties, super high heels.

Very expensive. Way beyond my income level. :D

Sam
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    The setup you see here is actually really inexpensive. What this photographer is using is:

https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Flash-Umbrella-Mounting-Accessories/ci/3536/N/4062040361

then all you need to do is add a light stand and a shoot thru umbrella. You wont NEED a way to sync your SB-900 because you can use the Nikon CLS and just trigger it with your pop up flash, but if you wanted to you could add in a couple pocket wizards or some other type of sync to trigger it. I would HIGHLY suggest that if you plan on shooting like this outside to get some weight bags for the stand. That umbrella will act like a huge sail and you will see your flash go flying. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    You'll also notice in the pic that you posted that the light only illuminates the center of the umbrella, so you can save even more cash than is depicted in the picture by buying a $19.99 43" wescott umbrella instead.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Not looking to spend the least amount as possible, just dont need any real fancy stuff just yet. Just looking for the basic's to get started. Looked on b&h and seems like I can get just about everything I need including triggers for like $200 or so.
    Diva, thanks for the link, started reading lighting 101, very useful info!
    D300s D90

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Sometimes it's easier to speed the right amt even though it might be a little more than buying something inferior twice. Been there tired of doing that.

Your flash would work great with a Lastolite Ezybox and adapter right for your flash.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    I agree with Charles. If I would have seen this a week earlier I would have sold you my Lastolite Ezybox. I moved on to taking my Alienbees outside so I didnt need the ezybox anymore. The only downfall to it is that its small. You wount get as much of an output like you see in this picture with it. Its not designed for full length shots.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2013
    I have a question, why would I need a pocket wizard type devise when I can fire my sb900 wirelessly now? What is the advantages of using them?
    D300s D90

• Options
    edited February 23, 2013
    I have a question, why would I need a pocket wizard type devise when I can fire my sb900 wirelessly now? What is the advantages of using them?

No disrespect intended, but if you don't know the answer to that question, then you don't need a pocket wizard. Wireless triggers are a tool to fill a need, a need that you as of yet don't have. Go without them for now. You can always get them later.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2013

You dont as I stated above. This person is using a trigger. Go into your D300s or D90 and set the flash mode to commander and then turn off the pop up flash in that menu. You will still have it open and it will fire, but it will only be used to trigger the sb-900. Turn the sensor towards you and then either set the sb-900 to TTL or manual and adjust as needed in the flash menu on the camera.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    No disrespect intended, but if you don't know the answer to that question, then you don't need a pocket wizard. Wireless triggers are a tool to fill a need, a need that you as of yet don't have. Go without them for now. You can always get them later.

I know i do not need one and can fire the flash without it but just looking for someone to explain what they are used for if most high end cameras can fire the flash wirelessly without them.
    D300s D90

• Options
    edited February 24, 2013
    You dont as I stated above. This person is using a trigger. Go into your D300s or D90 and set the flash mode to commander and then turn off the pop up flash in that menu. You will still have it open and it will fire, but it will only be used to trigger the sb-900. Turn the sensor towards you and then either set the sb-900 to TTL or manual and adjust as needed in the flash menu on the camera.

Yes Doog, I know how to use the commander mode. But you lost me with your last statement. As fas as I can see, Once the sb900 is switched into the remote (used to fire the flash with commander mode) the only options available to adjust on the sb900 itself is the zoom. None of the other features are able to be changed, falsh mode, flash power, etc......... am I missing something? Does the use of pocket wizards give you back those features?
    D300s D90

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    I know i do not need one and can fire the flash without it but just looking for someone to explain what they are used for if most high end cameras can fire the flash wirelessly without them.

One of the biggest differences to me is that, at least with Nikon, the on board wireless needs to have a line of sight to work every time. With the wizzard remotes you are not limited in this way.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2013
    LRusso, you're getting some great advice in this thread, but much of it won't make sense until you've got the basics down. When you "need" Pocket Wizards, you'll know you need them, and you'll know *why*. For now, master the basics: get a lightstand, an umbrella, and learn how to control the very capable flash and in-camera commander that you already have to give you the appropriate exposure and effects for the shot you want to take. Learn about light falloff, light direction, reflectors (to make the most of your one flash) and standard lighting setups. Once you've got that down, you can move on from there as needed and desired. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2013
    Is it that no body really knows what a pocket wizard does or no one really wants to explain what it does? You are all saying learn this and learn that....I understand and thats what I am trying to do....Im not saying im going to buy a pocket wizard tomorrow, just want it explained as to what it does other then fire a flash the same way the camera already can do? I dont understand why no one wants to explain it.
    D300s D90

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    Is it that no body really knows what a pocket wizard does or no one really wants to explain what it does? You are all saying learn this and learn that....I understand and thats what I am trying to do....Im not saying im going to buy a pocket wizard tomorrow, just want it explained as to what it does other then fire a flash the same way the camera already can do? I dont understand why no one wants to explain it.

This is a very good article that I think will answer all of your questions.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/09/pocket-wizard-vs-nikon-cls-which-is.html

This article was written some time ago (2006)and used older pocket wizzards in the comparison. Newer model of PW's allow you control (TTL etc)that wasn't available when the article was written. But none the less it covers the basics.

Biggest difference to me is not needing line of site to fire remote flash.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013

They do know and Bryce explained. The pop-up trigger on your D300 will work fine but must be line of site (IR). It is common to have issues outdoors with the remote flash not "seeing" the trigger and then not firing. This will not be an issue with a radio trigger (like pocket wizards) which will fire consistently even at a good distance.

Start with CLS and then see if you need to upgrade.

HTH.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2013
    ...or if you want it from the horse's mouth, as they say:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/videos/education/
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2013
    Yes Doog, I know how to use the commander mode. But you lost me with your last statement. As fas as I can see, Once the sb900 is switched into the remote (used to fire the flash with commander mode) the only options available to adjust on the sb900 itself is the zoom. None of the other features are able to be changed, falsh mode, flash power, etc......... am I missing something? Does the use of pocket wizards give you back those features?

Its because you adjust the output of the SB-900 from in the commander menu on your camera.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2013
    LRusso, all of these questions are answered over at Strobist, with pocket wizards getting some major discussion. By getting the basics clear in your mind, you'll start to understand these why's and wherefore's, and make an informed decision rather than just throwing money at gear that "other folks use".

A pocket wizard is simply an alternative way to trigger your external, off-camera flash than the commander IN your camera. It's different technology - PW uses radio waves, vs the IR visual signals your camera and flash use to "talk" to each other. Much of the time, IR is fine; it's great indoors, or where you're not far away, or where you can guarantee flash and camera have a line-of-sight between them. BUT if you work outside in bright sunlight or want to place your flashes somewhere the IR panel can't "see" the signal, or use modifiers that block the IR panel, PW - or other radio devices (and there are many options, from super-cheap Chinese imports, to high-end units which rival PW's solidity only with other features, and just about everything in-between) - become a more appropriate and reliable option. Both work just fine, and you'd be well advised to start with what you already have. IF you find you want radio triggers, you can invest in them after you know enough to know what you want and why. :D