Options

Can't figure out why cheap triggers work better than PW's...

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited March 8, 2013 in Sports
So, I have approximately 8 (I had 12 but some stopped working or broke) Cactus V5 triggers. I also have some PW (2x Multimax, 1 PW3, 1PW2 Transciever and an old Transmitter and Receiver pair, oh, forgot a TT5 too!)

I was doing a backboard cam the other night, so, used the logical choice (even though it ended up failing, but that's another post!) I used the Cactus. I forgot to change the speed of my camera from H to L (10fps vs 5fps, I think is how I have it configured. I know the high is correct because I need to be at 1/1000 or better to get 12fps) Anyway... Fired off a few shots and every one of the 8 or so shots I fired the flashes all went off. If I do that with my PW,I will get one shot and then nothing. That's using the PW3 as transmitter and Multimax's as receivers. From what I read, the PW3 supports 14.5fps, I'm pretty sure the Multimax is 12 (newer MM with USB.) Not only that, but I had a ton less flash mis-fires with the Cactus than the PW.

Honestly, I'm just confused. For the longest time I thought it was my battery packs causing the issues with missing flashes, but it almost seems like it's the PW's.

A little more tech details.. I have the PW connected to 580EXII's via a splitter and going into the PC on the flash with the exception of my 580EX which doesn't have an external PC I used a hotshoe -> PC converter. I've been gaffer taping them on just to make sure I'm making damn good contact. Only reason I'm using a splitter is because I can't for the life of me (which is why I'm calling PW tomorrow) figure out why both ports don't always fire,which from my understanding of the MM they should.

Just curious to see if anyone else has run into anything like this?

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    Msn that was tricky to read.... Let me ask a few basic questions...

1. The Multimax is probably the best trigger on earth. Why are you using a PW3 as your trigger?
    2. How are you connecting the PW to your camera? Are you just sticking it in the hotshoe or is it connected to the 10-pin connector?
    3. Are you triggering both a remote camera AND remote lights at the same time? You talked about using a backboard camera but then talked about speedlights so I am confused.

Hopefully, your call to PW will get you squared away.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    I too have a love hate relationship with PW as a camera trigger. I only have TT5s. They do not have much range at all outside. Maybe 50-100ft? I need to look into this and get more distance outside.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    I too have a love hate relationship with PW as a camera trigger. I only have TT5s. They do not have much range at all outside. Maybe 50-100ft? I need to look into this and get more distance outside.

I've triggered PWs outside at about 130 yards. And indoors at about half that distance. And even with that, I've never invoked the built in long range mode. Not sure what you guys are doing though.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    Perroneford, what version are you using? My lights are fine. It is camera triggering that is my issue with the TT5
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2013
    Msn that was tricky to read.... Let me ask a few basic questions...

1. The Multimax is probably the best trigger on earth. Why are you using a PW3 as your trigger?
    2. How are you connecting the PW to your camera? Are you just sticking it in the hotshoe or is it connected to the 10-pin connector?
    3. Are you triggering both a remote camera AND remote lights at the same time? You talked about using a backboard camera but then talked about speedlights so I am confused.

Hopefully, your call to PW will get you squared away.

I know.. Sorry, I was exhausted and had a few beers. So.. Yeah, my bad there.

Answers:

1. Figured the MM would be just as good at receiving as they are transmitting, plus eventually when I figure out why both ports aren't firing I will not need splitters. Which is why I use the PW3 to transmit (well, I did last night) Normally I'll use 1 PW per light, so that's 2 MM, 1 PW3 and 1 PW2 Transciever, fired with the TT5. Now, noise sniffing with the MM shows that the channel I'm using has no more than 045, which according to PW is Excellent for receiving.

2. PW direct on hotshoe

3. Ignore that. Backboard was the other night.. and like I said, another thread. I'm talking simple firing consistency here.

- After using the Cactus, I had about 90% less missfires of my lights than I do with my PW setup.
    - I have a direct line of sight to my receivers and flashes at all times.
    - As mentioned, noise on any channel I use (via the MM Noise Sniffer) is never above 050 which is excellent

I'm just a little confused about it. Wish I could call PW today, but it's going to have to wait till tomorrow.

And while I thought maybe the MM has something like the PWIII does, I guess it doesn't matter much. There is the HSR mode on the PW3, but it's only for 14.5fps as per PW website:

7. HIGH SPEED RECEIVE
    Normally, the Plus III is capable of triggering lights or cameras at a sustained rate of up to 12 frames per second (FPS), a standard for PocketWizard radios. Set the Plus III to High Speed Receive Mode (HSR) and trigger at rates up to 14.5 FPS, beyond the capability of most of today's cameras. This mode can also help high FPS triggering compatibility for any flash.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2013
    Perroneford, what version are you using? My lights are fine. It is camera triggering that is my issue with the TT5

I am using TT5, PW3, and MM. All with latest non-beta software.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2013
    A few things here...
    1. Figured the MM would be just as good at receiving as they are transmitting, plus eventually when I figure out why both ports aren't firing I will not need splitters. Which is why I use the PW3 to transmit (well, I did last night) Normally I'll use 1 PW per light, so that's 2 MM, 1 PW3 and 1 PW2 Transciever, fired with the TT5. Now, noise sniffing with the MM shows that the channel I'm using has no more than 045, which according to PW is Excellent for receiving.

Ok. I was just curious. I also noticed you are shooting Canon. RF noise on these. I wonder if the might be messing you up.

2. PW direct on hotshoe

I've never had luck with this. I trigger by cable. Hot shoe works in studio at 1fps.
    3. Ignore that. Backboard was the other night.. and like I said, another thread. I'm talking simple firing consistency here.

Understood.

- After using the Cactus, I had about 90% less missfires of my lights than I do with my PW setup.
    - I have a direct line of sight to my receivers and flashes at all times.
    - As mentioned, noise on any channel I use (via the MM Noise Sniffer) is never above 050 which is excellent

I'm just a little confused about it. Wish I could call PW today, but it's going to have to wait till tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2013
    A few things here...

Ok. I was just curious. I also noticed you are shooting Canon. RF noise on these. I wonder if the might be messing you up.

That only applies to the TT5/TT1 from my understanding. Besides, the PW are mounted a good 12-18 below the flashes with long PC cables. That is more than enough to get away from any RF noise. Again, from my reading.. it's only the TTx series that has this issue.

I'm going to do some tests tomorrow, I'll try the PW3 off camera and see how it does... vs the Cactus.
  • Options
    bluesman grahambluesman graham Registered Users Posts: 254 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    A bit off thread but I have recently started to use Yongnuo RF-603n's (c for canon), because of failure rates in my PW's & i've never had a failed signal yet!! (I even use 602's for sports remote cameras now). These units are £40 ($55ish) for 4 with dedicated conection cables!!! you can afford to throw them in the bin once (if ever) they start to miss!. Kind regards Graham.
    Graham.

C&C most welcome

Nikon D3s,D3, D2hs x2 Nikkor 70-200 2.8, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Nikkor AF-SII 300 2.8, Nikkor 1.4 & 1.7 converters etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesmangraham/
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2013
    Well, I figured out there are some issues with the Cactus (which normally work just fine) UNLESS you put the pin down (locking it) into the receiver. Problem is there is no hole for the locking pin on the Cactus transciever, so what this does is raises the flash contacts and no longer fires the flash. So lock it in, get no flash, don't lock it, get flash..
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2013

I might be heading up north this coming Wed, you're welcome to play with my Odins.