Options

List albums in a price list?

mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
edited February 28, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm in the process of deciding between moving from Pro to Portfolio, or just leaving SmugMug altogether.

I have a whopping four price lists (Default, two others and a forced "nothing for sale"), but in order to make the transition to Portfolio I need to move everything to just one (or disable printing for the "not for sale" albums).

So, the obvious question is... How do I know what albums are in a particular price list?

I have approximately 200 albums that are not included in the default price list, I would like to get a list of them so I can move them either to the default pricing or set them to disable printing.

Is there a simple way to get this information?

Comments

• Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    Hi mbellot,

You can go to your pricelist manager in your Account Settings. Once there you can click on the pricelist you want to inspect and click on Edit List. In any list except your default, you will be able to click on the number under the word Gallery on the right hand side. This will take you to where you can select galleries to apply to this list or view currently selected ones. To view just the galleries currently assigned to this list, click on the Selected Galleries Button in the top right corner.

If you have any more questions, please email us at help@smugmug.com or stop in and visit us in Live Chat later today. :D

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask us.

Thanks -Scott
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2013
    Thanks.

So now the question is can I generate a listing of all albums with printing turned off? I want to be sure I didn't miss anything, and would prefer not to have to go through 200+ albums one at a time to check to see if printing is turned on or off.

It would also re-assure me that I didn't accidentally turn anything off that I want left on.
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    I would recommend going into any gallery settings page, then at the top click Multiple Galleries then click All Galleries. Now go down to the Printing section and select NO next to Printable then click Save. Doing that will turn off the Buy button in all of your galleries.

Keep in mind that any new gallery you upload will have printing turned ON by default. You can make a "quick setting" that has printing turned off and apply the quick settings to new galleries as you upload them.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2013
    You completely mus-understood what I was asking.

I have several hundred (possibly more than a thousand) albums with printing turned on, and I want them to stay that way.

I also have about 200 albums that should have printing turned off.

I would like an EASY way to verify which albums have printing turned off, I do NOT want to turn off printing globally.

And yes, I'm painfully aware that SM decides to turn printing ON by default and it's on me to make sure I turn it off if I don't want them printed.

As long as we're on the subject, if/when I convert to Portfolio is there any chance of selling at cost as long as I have a default price list (above cost) set up? I'm assuming no since Portfolio only allows one active price list at a time (a truly stupid decision for a supposedly commerce account level BTW), but it would be nice to have it confirmed by SM directly.
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    I would recommend going into any gallery settings page, then at the top click Multiple Galleries then click All Galleries. Now go down to the Printing section and select NO next to Printable then click Save. Doing that will turn off the Buy button in all of your galleries.

Keep in mind that any new gallery you upload will have printing turned ON by default. You can make a "quick setting" that has printing turned off and apply the quick settings to new galleries as you upload them.
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    Sorry I misunderstood! SmugRoom may do that but I'm not positive - http://smugroom.com/tools/gallery-list/
    You could also use the Multiple Galleries tool in the gallery settings of any gallery, then from the drop-down menu select the 200 galleries that you wish to have printing turned off in. I realize that isn't ideal, but it would work.

If neither of those options work then we may be able to pull that information out of our database. It might take a little while to dig through, but if you'd like us to try and get this information for you please email our help desk and reference this thread.

As for the pricelists, if you go with the Portfolio level you can only have 1 active pricelist at any given time. You can't sell prints at the default prices and have a marked up pricelist at the same time.

In your original post you mentioned, "but in order to make the transition to Portfolio I need to move everything to just one (or disable printing for the "not for sale" albums).". This is actually not true. If you did nothing with your pricelists and galleries, then downgraded to Portfolio, all galleries would be automatically assigned to the default pricelist (the one at the top with the blue star next to it). I'm not sure if you were aware of that or if it will help you or not.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2013
    As for the pricelists, if you go with the Portfolio level you can only have 1 active pricelist at any given time. You can't sell prints at the default prices and have a marked up pricelist at the same time.

Finally, a bit of good news.

I'll look into SmugRoom to see if that has the functionality I need.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    As for the pricelists, if you go with the Portfolio level you can only have 1 active pricelist at any given time. You can't sell prints at the default prices and have a marked up pricelist at the same time....
    Kinda stabs everyone in the back selling prints at the one profit price list and also trying to sell family photos at cost.

My suggestion: (common sense :D)
    Default price list at cost and ONE profit price list seems much more logical.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Kinda stabs everyone in the back selling prints at the one profit price list and also trying to sell family photos at cost.

My suggestion: (common sense :D)
    Default price list at cost and ONE profit price list seems much more logical.

I would go exactly the opposite.

The default price list is for profit and a separate (deliberate) price list for "family" that is at cost. That way, in case you forget to assign a price list (and/or forget to turn of printing completely) the default is to make money off them.

Honestly though, ANY "commerce" account that claims to have "for profit" sales as a feature is a complete joke with a single price list.

I've "solved" the family problem (short term anyway) by making them not printable but turning on originals. Family can download full res pictures and print them at Costco, SM sees none of the business.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2013
    Well, I solved the problem of finding which albums have printing turned on or off. It was ugly, but I ended up using a C# API interface (thanks alexgh) and the evaluation version of C# 2010 available from MS. I hacked together just enough code to pull the info I needed and spit it out to a text file.

Sad that I had to go through such gyrations for what should be readily available information.