> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

1303132333436»

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 1, 2012
    screen shots in windows are easy, I just use the PrtScn (print screen) button on my keyboard then open up pspX2 and hit the paste as new image button. Then crop if needed and save as a jpeg.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 6, 2012
    Throwing two suggestions out for consideration.... Don't feel strongly about either one.

First, we recently moved from honoring 5 images in the dgrin challenges to having 3 place winners. Would it be possible to name two honorable mentions so that the images placing 4th and 5th would still be recognized (but without any prizes attached)? I know that the mini-challenges are different altogether, but we have honorable mentions there.... Just a thought.

Second, while the poll results are usually posted very promptly, I wonder whether it would be helpful to JAG and anyone else helping with this (as when Sherstone covers for JAG on trips) to say that the results will be posted sometime within 24 hours. I'm sure we could get used to "delayed" results if that would make life a little less stressful for moderators!

I'm heading to west Africa (Ghana, Togo, and Benin) for a couple of weeks, so I'll be away from the challenges for awhile but look forward to seeing what you all do while I'm away.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
    edited October 6, 2012
    Have a wonderful trip Gretchen!

As to any stress, there really isn't any when it comes to posting the winners. You all might have felt it, but to be quite frankly, I was dealing with some unforseen matters and had simply forgot to enter the closing poll event into my calander. Thus with all the stuff going on here, I hadn't been paying attention. So when I came in on Friday night, I noticed it had closed and I hadn't tended to it. My bad.

I think you all know that if we don't get to it right away, we will eventually will!

As for HM, that is up to you all I guess. I think everyone can see by the poll results where they placed.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 6, 2012
    Thanks, JAG. Should be a useful trip. We'll see what kinds of photos I bring back.... And I'm glad to hear that posting the results isn't too stressful in itself.

Here's an anecdote relating to the idea of honorable mentions: I recently created an album on my facebook page called "Stretching Myself" in which I posted the 5 photos that have placed in the top 5 in the dgrin challenges. I explained that I belong to an online photography group that helps me stretch myself as a photographer, etc. I did this after my 5th "win" because it struck me that I really was growing as a photographer. It is easy for me to see the progress other dgrinners are making in their development, but it is the affirmation of placing in the challenge or receiving helpful comments on my images that help me see that I too am making some progress. (That and winning 2 prizes in a local landscape contest.)

My thinking is that if having 2 honorable mention slots would help others feel the affirmation of their peers more often - because we would still be recognizing the "top 5" in one way or another, rather than just 3 images - then it might be useful. But yes, we can all see how our images did by looking at the votes. So I can see leaving it as is or adding an honorable mention category.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    what happend to the Mega Challenge? is it no longer??
    Aaron Nelson
    edited March 5, 2013
    Tango wrote: »
    what happend to the Mega Challenge? is it no longer??

It was announced last year sometime that they were no longer going to happen. That is also when we cut back to 3 prize winners. It's been awhile since we have seen you Tango!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    oh my! I'm that out of touch?!!! I've entered a few here and there but didn't even notice that the Megas are no longer...

I swear my last 3 years have been total chaos... maybe this year I can keep it together... headscratch.gif

It's a good start, I even have a shiny new point and shoot camera to play with:D (canon G1x)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited March 5, 2013
    Tango wrote: »
    oh my! I'm that out of touch?!!! I've entered a few here and there but didn't even notice that the Megas are no longer...

I swear my last 3 years have been total chaos... maybe this year I can keep it together... headscratch.gif

It's a good start, I even have a shiny new point and shoot camera to play with:D (canon G1x)

Time has a way of slipping by fast! Have fun with your new toy!thumb.gif