Options

Make a photo not for sale

vandrendevandrende Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
Hi,
Is there any way to make specific photos not for sale in a gallery where sale is otherwise activated?
Thanks
http://pierre-chaton.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 16, 2013
    I believe you need to create a pricelist that doesn't contain any products, then apply that pricelist to the photos that you don't want to sell.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93345-price-and-sell-your-photos

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2013
    I believe you need to create a pricelist that doesn't contain any products, then apply that pricelist to the photos that you don't want to sell.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93345-price-and-sell-your-photos

--- Denise

Thanks for the reply. I guess this would require a business subscription allowing use of multiple price lists, I have a portfolio subscription.
    Would it be possible to have some codes that would hide the "Buy" button based on file name?

--Pierre

http://pierre-chaton.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 17, 2013
    vandrende wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I guess this would require a business subscription allowing use of multiple price lists, I have a portfolio subscription.
    Would it be possible to have some codes that would hide the "Buy" button based on file name?
    The only thing I can think of is to use a collection instead of a basic gallery. Create two galleries, one set with a pricelist and a second not allowing sales. Load photos into each gallery based on whether or not you want to allow the photo to be sold. Then create a third gallery as a collection of the first two. I believe the photos in the collection inherit the pricing from the base galleries.

I'd recommend testing this in a browser where you are not logged in to verify that the photos you intend to be protected are not available for sale.

Maybe someone from smug can jump in here to verify that this solution will work.

--- Denise
  • Options
    XodusEagleXodusEagle Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2013
    Hi there. This threads a little bit old now, but it helped me figure out what I needed to know so I thought I'd drop in and comment on it. Maybe someone else in the same boat will see it and it'll help them out.

So, much like the OP here, I needed to mark certain photos in a gallery as not for sale, while still allowing the rest of the photos in the gallery to be purchasable. Several of the photos I have on my site I shot for class assignments, but I signed a contract stating that any photos I shoot using the college's equipment are not to be for profit in any way. However, I still want to display these alongside the rest of my work that is purchasable.
    Long story short, both of Denise's solutions are spot on.

I tried both methods out and they both work. The first one is a little bit easier though. Just to reiterate what you should do, here they are:

The first solution, only possible with a Business level account, is to create a separate pricelist that doesn't have any products in it. Then you just go into the gallery and set the photo(s) that you don't want to sell to use that empty pricelist. One thing to note, however, is that if you're logged in then the photo(s) will still appear to be for sale. Don't worry, it won't be available to your customers.

The second solution will work without a Business level account, but it's a bit more involved. Create two galleries, one that you upload the for-sale photo(s) to and the other that you upload the not-for-sale photo(s) to. Make sure you change the "Printable" option (in the gallery settings screen) of the not-for-sale gallery to "No". Then you create a third gallery. Go into the other two galleries you created and "collect" the photos so they display into the third gallery you created. (For help on collecting photos, see this support article: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93310)
    Denise was right that the pricing is inherited from the photo(s) original gallery. The "Buy" button is still visible on the photos that are from the not-for-sale gallery, but the option to buy "This Photo" is grayed out.
    Also, to clean things up a bit, you ought to mark the for-sale gallery and the not-for-sale as "unlisted" so visitors only see the third gallery that contains the photos from both of the previous galleries. Makes things look a little bit cleaner on the front end. :)

And if anyone who works at SmugMug sees this, you should pass word over to the developers that adding a "not for sale" button/checkbox to individual photos would be awesome. :D

Hope that helped!

-Matt
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2013
    XodusEagle wrote: »
    Hi there. This threads a little bit old now, but it helped me figure out what I needed to know so I thought I'd drop in and comment on it. Maybe someone else in the same boat will see it and it'll help them out.

So, much like the OP here, I needed to mark certain photos in a gallery as not for sale, while still allowing the rest of the photos in the gallery to be purchasable. Several of the photos I have on my site I shot for class assignments, but I signed a contract stating that any photos I shoot using the college's equipment are not to be for profit in any way. However, I still want to display these alongside the rest of my work that is purchasable.
    Long story short, both of Denise's solutions are spot on.

I tried both methods out and they both work. The first one is a little bit easier though. Just to reiterate what you should do, here they are:

The first solution, only possible with a Business level account, is to create a separate pricelist that doesn't have any products in it. Then you just go into the gallery and set the photo(s) that you don't want to sell to use that empty pricelist. One thing to note, however, is that if you're logged in then the photo(s) will still appear to be for sale. Don't worry, it won't be available to your customers.

The second solution will work without a Business level account, but it's a bit more involved. Create two galleries, one that you upload the for-sale photo(s) to and the other that you upload the not-for-sale photo(s) to. Make sure you change the "Printable" option (in the gallery settings screen) of the not-for-sale gallery to "No". Then you create a third gallery. Go into the other two galleries you created and "collect" the photos so they display into the third gallery you created. (For help on collecting photos, see this support article: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93310)
    Denise was right that the pricing is inherited from the photo(s) original gallery. The "Buy" button is still visible on the photos that are from the not-for-sale gallery, but the option to buy "This Photo" is grayed out.
    Also, to clean things up a bit, you ought to mark the for-sale gallery and the not-for-sale as "unlisted" so visitors only see the third gallery that contains the photos from both of the previous galleries. Makes things look a little bit cleaner on the front end. :)

And if anyone who works at SmugMug sees this, you should pass word over to the developers that adding a "not for sale" button/checkbox to individual photos would be awesome. :D

Hope that helped!

-Matt

Thanks for the clear and thorough explanations. For me, only the second alternative could work, but it's a bit cumbersome and will disrupt/complicate my workflow starting with export from Lightroom. Not sure either how this would work with smart galleries (?).
    I would certainly prefer your checkbox suggestion to the SmugMug team :-)