How to do PC Controlled macro photography with Canon S5iS or A510 ??

dcs01dcs01 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 9, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
I wish to do some macro photography with either my Canon S5IS or my A510. I need to be able to take the photos, and see how they look before going on to take another photo. I'm used to using PSRemote (version 1.5.8) with general photography - and that is what I want to do. Take a photo and have it shown full screen ~ instantly. The PSRemote software can not work with the cameras macro mode however.

Does anyone know of software that would allow me to do PC controlled photography using the macro mode of either camera ?

Another option - if possible - I haven't seen it is though - is to manually shoot the photos, with the camera set to immediately save them to PC (via USB of course).

To be clear - what I want to avoid is taking a photo, connecting to the PC, downloading the photo, and going back to take another photo.

Thanks !

Comments

• ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2013
    2 choices. Tethered capture in lightroom. Or an eye fi card.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 7, 2013
    Sorry, I don't have any of your hardware or software, so the following are only things I suggest trying.

Breeze Systems has a couple of support options you may wish to explore:

User forum
    Direct E-Mail support

If you can't get your answer from these two sources it likely doesn't exist.

For a more direct solution, a Canon dSLR can definitely be remote operated by computer for acquisition, including the use of a true macro lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dcs01dcs01 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    2 choices. Tethered capture in lightroom. Or an eye fi card.

A Newegg buyer of Eye Fi asks ... "why would you need an internet connection to simply upload your JPGs to your local computer?" Newegg is littered with negative feedback on product. This question is 2+ years old. I would hope that is not the case as it is not a workable solution. I asked their company tech support to clarify.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 7, 2013
    dcs01 wrote: »
    A Newegg buyer of Eye Fi asks ... "why would you need an internet connection to simply upload your JPGs to your local computer?" Newegg is littered with negative feedback on product. This question is 2+ years old. I would hope that is not the case as it is not a workable solution. I asked their company tech support to clarify.

I am not a company representative but I believe that I can answer this question. The Eye-Fi "Pro" cards allow an "Ad-Hoc" connection, which means that you can send the image files directly to a nearby wireless enabled computer.

More information here:

http://support.eye.fi/cards/networks/ad-hoc-networks-pro-cards-only/eye-fi-card-support-ad-hoc-wi-fi/

We have a discussion thread for Eye-Fi Pro cards here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=133873
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2013
    Lots of people rave about the Eye Fi. I think it all depends on where you are buying. Newegg is not a camera place, so you might not get the best reviews there. Different expectations you know what I mean. I am thrilled to get an Eye Fi for use with my new 7100 and linking to my Ipad. There are some very good uses I see for events for me. Not really for high speed stuff. But instant results posted to Facebook. Could be very smooth for a few things for me.

For you, the Eye Fi would get your pics to your screen on the computer without cords and I think will be plenty fast enough for what you are doing. What software are you using for photos now?
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2013
    The Canon "ImageBrowser" software that came with your camera doesn't do this?

According to the online pdf manual for your S5 IS, I believe it should after skimming over it. With your camera connected to your computer via usb, launch the ImageBrowser application. What your sensor sees should display on the screen and allow you to operate the shutter with your computer and show you each image captured with the choice to save or delete. I have done this with my Canon 550d. It is VERY useful when shooting macros at odd anygles where I can't see through the viewfinder.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0900009887/01/IB5.8-EN.pdf <--- Direct link to the manual from the Canon website. Page 41. Is that what you're needing to do?
  • dcs01dcs01 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2013
    I knew this worked ... but it does not support the "Super Macro" mode :(