Canon utilities not compatible.

Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited March 12, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
So I just picked up a 5d ii and when I connect it to my mac running Lion 10.7.5 it reads no camera found. I have to manually open up Image Capture to download the photos. Prior to the 5d II I had a 60D and it worked w/ my mac flawlessly. I would just plug it and it automatically opened. Another reason I would like to fix this issue is I would love to upload the new Firmware and when needed for any other future updates considering the current Firmware installed is a few updates behind. I dont have a compact flash card reader @ the moment. I tried to upload the utilities disk that came w/ the 5D ii but its not working. Could it be my 60D was a newer model and the 5D ii is a bit older? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 11, 2013
    Gaby617 wrote: »
    ... I dont have a compact flash card reader @ the moment. ...

The simple answer is that I recommend an external card reader as a "necessity" for reliable card reading and file transfer. You simply cannot trust using a camera body for file transfers. Even if you get it working I would not trust that method and system.

Note that on this page Canon only mentions installing firmware on a memory card via a card reader:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2012/eos_5dmii_50d_firmware_update.shtml

"2. Copy the extracted .FIR file to the root directory of a CF memory card by inserting the card into a card reader and dragging/dropping the file to the card" (Emphasis mine.)

(I believe that the PDF instructions included with the firmware say similar.)

Don't deviate from these instructions. If the firmware file is corrupted because you tried to use the camera body as common storage (it is not such a device) and if you try to load the corrupted firmware onto your camera, it can render the camera useless.

Just get a reliable card reader that works with your computer. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2013
    Thanks.. I think you may be my personnel go to guy for answers.... lol! First impression w/ the 5D ii... it may be me but seems a bit soft under the same consitions i used my crop in. Could be the difference in DOF. I learned quick the outer points arent as reliable as the center. It seems like a totaly different type of format to relearn.
    edited March 11, 2013
    Gaby617 wrote: »
    ... it may be me but seems a bit soft under the same consitions i used my crop in. Could be the difference in DOF. ...

I suspect that you will also see additional "smoothness" as a result of the extra pixel count "plus" the larger photosites (physical size of the pixels).

It could also be differences in how the two cameras register the lenses. Micro-adjustment of the focus the lenses may be in order.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=218413
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=232397
    ziggy53
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2013
    So i ran some unofficial test using some sketchy focus charts and a few of my wives figurines. It seems my less then a month old 50mm 1.4 which worked pretty good on my old 60D need a front adjustment of 10 on the 5d ii. Is this something I should be worried about? Should I send to Canon to fix? I want to run some more tests under better conditions but as of now comparing images it seems to be spot on the focus spot.
    edited March 12, 2013
    As long as you are aware of the qualities, and can gain control with repeatable and desirable results, I don't think there is any need for worry.
    ziggy53