Options

Transcend Wifi SD cards ?

dcs01dcs01 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 11, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
I'd like to do some Super Macro work with my Canon S5is, but want the photos saved to my PC "immediately" after every shot (I realize it may take 10-15 seconds) - so that I may "immediately" view each one and decide whether or not I need to get a better shot. I'd be taking shots, have them saved to my Windows PC, be running a photo viewer app there that would be able to pop up each shot full size.
The software I have (Canon Remote Capture, ZoomBrowser, ImageBrowser, PSRemote, ...) all do NOT support the Super Macro mode.

So I looked at some of the Wifi SD cards - Eye-Fi, Transcend, ... and some buyer comments on retailer websites report they can not do the immediately save-to-PC task I desire. I asked Eye-Fi support - and they replied yes it can. Transcend gave an answer that wasn't exactly clear - Language translation perhaps - am re-asking.
In the meantime - has anyone used these devices - in particular the Transcend models ? Do they allow easy immediate "save to PC" operations ? Any quirks one would need to be aware of ?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited March 11, 2013
    Transcend Wi-Fi SD cards are relatively new to the market, and they have a relatively small user base. Since they are a subset of Transcend, expect to encounter customer support of a rather general nature.

Eye-Fi only markets Wi-Fi SD cards and support software (for nearly 8 years), so expect their support to be much more directed at what you want to do.

Part of your solution will be determinant upon whether your computer is set up correctly for an Ad-Hoc connection. If you are not familiar with that technology you may wish to find a networking person for your local support.

Basically, it sounds like you should buy an "Eye-Fi 'Pro'" SD card, since only the Pro series cards support Ad-Hoc connection (within the Eye-Fi line of cards), and since Eye-Fi is much more likely to give you the level of support you require.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums