Options

Pacific Coast Autumn 2012 - warning: image heavy

senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
edited March 15, 2013 in Journeys
I took two different trips in late 2012 that allowed me to drive up and down the west coast. I stayed on 101 as much as possible, and my first stop was in the coastal Redwoods.

A2304-XL.jpg

A2477framed-XL.jpg

A2341f-XL.jpg

A2483-XL.jpg

My first walk on the beach was more about rain and fog than ocean.

A2395-XL.jpg

A2880-XL.jpg

But as I moved up into Oregon the weather turned delightful.

A2689-XL.jpg

I took these next two shots from the exact same spot, I just turned 180 degrees. This beach was a long half mile or so walk down a hill from the highway and I had it all to myself. The Oregon coast has lots of these hidden spots that you have to work a little bit to get to.

A2581b-XL.jpg

A2558-XL.jpg

I was totally alone at this parking area as well. Just me and an abandoned pair of slippers. Looked to me that someone didn't want them back in their RV so they just walked out of them and drove off.

A2805-XL.jpg

I grew up in Oregon and we had weather like this about twice a year but we wished it could be like this every day.

A2602a-XL.jpg

I didn't get real lucky with sunsets but a couple weren't bad at all. I really messed up and didn't get the contact info. for the folks on the rock after I'd asked them if I could take their photo. I guess I didn't want to be committed if I didnt' get a good one but I wish I could've given it to them.

A2608-XL.jpg

A2677-XL.jpg

A2669-XL.jpg

Then I moved inland and met up with my favorite traveling partners on the McKenzie River. This is an 'indoor landscape' from the loft of their cabin. And then two abstracts of the river.

Loftsmallerfilesize-XL.jpg

A2756best-XL.jpg

A2764-XL.jpg

We saw our first snow of the season at the top of old McKenzie Pass. This is called the observatory I think. It's made of lava rocks and sits on a huge field of lava. Not much color when we were there, just cold blowing snow.

A2733-XL.jpg

Back to the coast. Nasty rainy rainy rainy blowing day at the mouth of the Columbia River. Admittedly, I doctored this photo for effect but the original wasn't anything to write home about. I like how the ocean seems to be falling into the jetty.

A2911crop-XL.jpg

The next three are of the 'home' beach of my youth and still my favorite spot on the Oregon Coast, Short Sands Beach. The only 20 minutes all day when the rain wasn't pouring down was when I took these and the light was magical.

A2917a-XL.jpg

A2936-XL.jpg

A2945final-XL.jpg

Three from a rainy day on the Umpqua River.

A3011-XL.jpg

A3013-XL.jpg

A3016c-XL.jpg

Originally I liked the raindrops all over the lens and the blur (handheld 1/8 sec) on this next photo because it seemed to accentuate the downpour I was out in. Now I'm not so sure.

weterfall-XL.jpg

From here on out I was pressed for time so I took a whole lot of tourist shots from viewpoints and pullouts. The next one is what half the Oregon Coast looks like from the side of hwy 101.

i%27llhavetheusual-XL.jpg

perpetua1a-XL.jpg

sealions2-XL.jpg

pots1-XL.jpg

greybeach2-XL.jpg

The next few are from Big Sur. Love the bench in this next one.

bench3-XL.jpg

bigsurscenic1-XL.jpg

viewhouse2-XL.jpg

beachwaterfall1-XL.jpg

bigsurbw2-XL.jpg

And some Elephant Seals hauled up on the rocky beaches around San Simeon.

es10-XL.jpg

es6-XL.jpg

estwelve-XL.jpg

es7-XL.jpg

And, finally, some awesomely beautiful farm and ranch land with one last view of the Pacific as I headed inland. Sorry for the huge amount of pictures, I had no idea it would be so long when I started. I should practice some editing discretion I guess.

coastalfarms1-XL.jpg
Jay

Comments

• Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Wow... what a fantastic set of pictures you posted.

4, 12,13 and 31 are my favorites.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited February 8, 2013
    The Pacific Coast offers many awesome places to make pretty pictures. Glad to see you were able to make so many.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Wow is right! All are just excellent with very creative comps and lighting control.
    13 and 25 stand-out for me.
    Nice to view - thanks for sharing.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    I love those woods, and your photos are awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    Wow....great set of pictures. I started mentally listing my favorites then gave up because I was loving too many of them. Love the trees and the beaches and the seals and the coast....like I said...I loved way too many. I've never been to this part of the country so I enjoyed each one.

Thanks for sharing.

Sherry
  • Options
    Logic 7Logic 7 Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    Really nice set. A number of these would be really awesome with a graduated neutral density filter or gradient mask
    Jeff
  • Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013
    Thanks everbody for the kind sentiments and observations. I'm glad you found something to like in the bunch.

Here's one more. In retrospect there are a couple that I'd probly not include if I were to edit them again, but that happens every time with me. This one, I could've included earlier. Thanks again for looking.

sansimeon4-XL.jpg
    Jay
  • Options
    LornceLornce Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2013
    Wonderful work.

thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    Carolina_BlueCarolina_Blue Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2013
    I'm a sucker for seascapes and sunsets so #14 is tops in my book! Lovely shots! I especially love the closeup of the seals...their expressions are priceless! Almost makes me want to create balloon conversations and make it a poster. Never been to Oregon but the somberness is what I imagine Oregon to be.