Corvallis Oregon

idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
Anything a must see? I will be able to travel to Newport during the trip.
Mark

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.

Comments

• ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    If you're going to come out to Newport, the big spots you probably thought of are good. Yaquina Bay bridge area including the bayfront and the state park with the old, unused Lighthouse all right there. The Rogue Brewery is just on the south side of the bridge along with the aquarium, Marine Science Center and the NOAA station.

Yaquina Head is on the north side of Newport with an active Lighthouse. This is a pay for admission park though.

Then the Nye Beach area is interesting to walk around for a bit with a lot of local shops and Cafe type places and of course the Beach itself and the Visual Arts Center. These are all within the Newport city itself, quite a bit more if you're able to drive north or south 30-45 minutes too. As for Corvallis, not to familiar with that city for photographic opportunities.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    Check out Mary's Peak. It may be snowy this time of year up there, but very well worth it. Highest point in the Coast Range. On an absolutely clear day (good luck right now) you can see the ocean in the west, the cascades to the east, and mt. hood to the northeast. Newport is a beautiful area too, everything Zblack said is great advice. The Coast range could keep you busy for years, especially this time of year. Waterfalls everywhere, fog, and everything green glows. Check out Alsea falls and Green peak falls too
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    Thanks guys!
    Mark

• WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2013
    Not sure how much time you'll have... but if head toward the coast to Waldport and point yourself south... you can get to Devil's churn, Thor's Well, and Heceta Head Lighthouse... furthest point is Heceta Head (2 hours away from Corvallis) and the other spots are not far North from the lighthouse. Or, for a shorter trip... Drive to Salem and go to the Silver Falls State park... about 1 hr, 20 minutes away... The trail of 10 falls is a great hike and just beautiful for waterfall shots. Even shorter trip? Yaquina Bay Lighthouse is just an hour away at Newport. Lots to see and shoot in Oregon, just not much in Corvallis.... that I know of. Have a great trip.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2013
    You didn't say when, which is a key. All of the places mentioned are great, but there is good stuff right around Corvallis too for the days you want to hang close.

If in the spring the tree blossoms downtown and on OSU campus are amazing. Got to hit it right though, there is nothing for a long time then they bloom then a spring shower wipes them out! Early mornings with some mist rising off the Willamette or a farmer's field. Neat vine covered buildings on campus. Roses, magnolias, rhododendrons and azaleas on campus will be spectacular in early spring.

You want tall timber, moss and ferns? So much green we used think Velvia slide film was invented just for Oregon. The aforementioned Mary's Peak is good. Drive just west to Alsea and pull off on any gravel logging road you see. You'll be deep in green quickly, but pay attention and bring some emergency food and water. McDonald forest just north of town is also a great experimental forest for OSU and a bit more accessible. Hike in a 100 yards and start shooting.

If you are on your way there any time soon you'll find out why GoreTex is considered a fashion statement. Also, with school in go shoot some of the sports like crew on the river, or rugby on Peavy field. Hit a baseball game of the two time national champions. I spent 5 great years there until they forced me to graduate and get a real job.

Have a great time.
  • idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2013
    Sorry for not listing the dates. I went Mid-Feb. Here's a shot from the trip. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=232104
    Mark