They Can't All Be Beautiful.....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited March 22, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
.....in fact, some are downright ugly.

I'm a little surprised that Wayne Carini ( Chasing Classic Cars ) would own up to owning this thing. Then again, Wayne has shown a penchant for quirky cars before. He and his partner in this car, Ralph Marano, brought it to Amelia for a showing.

This is a 1957 Spohn convertible. Spohn was a coachbuilder from Ravensburg, Germany, who was credited for building bodies for the pre-WWII Maybach luxury cars. After WWII, Spohn purchased left-over cars from the U.S. military for their chasis and continued as a coachbuilder....taking orders on a one on one basis.

Each car was built to the specific desires and specs of the buyer. There were less than 200 hundred cars built and no two were alike. This car is built on a 1939 Ford chassis with a 1953 Cadillac 331 C.I. V-8 engine, 4-barrel carb, and 3-speed Ford transmission.

Amelia%202013%20071%20-%20Copy-X2.jpg

Amelia%202013%20076%20-%20Copy-X2.jpg

Amelia%202013%20079-X2.jpg

Amelia%202013%20086-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Great Title. I guess that's another one in the third picture beyond the red one. They do have that 50's look.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Tom,

I was dissapointed in your other thread that my picture didn't show up.

Now, with this title and first line, I was scared that my picture "would" show up eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

About the car:

What a great mustache on that thing!!!
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2013
    WernerG wrote: »
    Great Title. I guess that's another one in the third picture beyond the red one. They do have that 50's look.

Yes, that other one in the third picture is also a Spohn. It must have been a barn-find car...in really rugged condition. I was scared to get too close to it; I'm told car-cooties can leap up to 5 feet.

BTW...that " skeleton " car you can see between the two Spohns is the only rear-engined Corvette ever built by Chevrolet. They exhibit it without the body so you can see all the workings. I'll feature it in another post a little later on.

See ya,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited March 22, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Tom,

I was dissapointed in your other thread that my picture didn't show up.

Now, with this title and first line, I was scared that my picture "would" show up eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

About the car:

What a great mustache on that thing!!!

You have reason for great concern, my friend. I have plans for the use of your picture. naughty.gifevil

I can't help it....looking at the front of this car makes me think of a cow-catcher.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
  • dspdsp Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2013
    Yes, that other one in the third picture is also a Spohn. It must have been a barn-find car...in really rugged condition. I was scared to get too close to it; I'm told car-cooties can leap up to 5 feet.

The car in the background is a Spohn bodied 1950 Veritas BMW, it was bought a year or two ago from the Lee Roy Hartung collection for something like $200,000. Obviously, an unrestored original.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2013
    That's a funky one Tom - cool!
    Fins and vaguely rocket-like were popular then - I can see Flash Gordon driving this in style.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited March 22, 2013
    dsp wrote: »
    The car in the background is a Spohn bodied 1950 Veritas BMW, it was bought a year or two ago from the Lee Roy Hartung collection for something like $200,000. Obviously, an unrestored original.

Yea, it seems I remember that car being a part of a show that Wayne Carini did on the Hartung collection. They obviously have not attempted any restoration yet...it's in really ratty condition.

Thanks for the visit,

Tom
    edited March 22, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    That's a funky one Tom - cool!
    Fins and vaguely rocket-like were popular then - I can see Flash Gordon driving this in style.

A funky one for sure, Eric. There's talk that the thing snuck onto the lot and tried to mate with the Batmobile until they could let the dogs loose and run it off.

See ya, buddy,

Tom