Options

Safari in B&W

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited March 25, 2013 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

Before I got into wildlife photography I did a lot of B&W photography. One of the things I enjoy about shooting in Africa is the B&W photo ops it presents.

Plus Ben made a snarky remark about B&W in my earlier thread.

D4D_1431bw-XL.jpg

800_9877bw-XL.jpg

800_9889bw-XL.jpg

800_0012bw-XL.jpg

D4D_2225bw-XL.jpg

D4D_2836bw-XL.jpg

800_0069bw-XL.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2013
    I love the first elephant photo for the action--the front foot stepping forward and the flapping of the ear. The deer photo too for the action. You captured the deer landing from a leap, but still looking up and forward for what's coming next. I also especially like the first lion shot, for its expression and fabulous mane, and well defined eyes. Oh, heck, I like them all. Keep working. Post more! Best, Pam
  • Options
    TazZTazZ Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2013
    i think there nice i like the lions
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2013
    Love them all Harry! Were these shot in color then converted to B/W? If so what software do you use for your conversions? Post more photos PLEASE!!!!

BTW...When is your next trip? I always love seeing your posts when you return from your trips!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2013
    Hey wave.gif Snarky here :D

1 & 3 get the nod from me.

#2 did you add a blue tint?

I also feel that the B&W show more clearly the hard life these Animals lead, especially the Blue Elephant!
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2013
    I have to agree with Benjamin with 1 & 3 for the best in this set for me too. #2 is a nice shot but I'm not so sure that I like the process of that image and think that having it like 1 & 3 would have me going with 1, 2 and 3 in a row. Just my 2 cents w orth Harry.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    I love the first elephant photo for the action--the front foot stepping forward and the flapping of the ear. The deer photo too for the action. You captured the deer landing from a leap, but still looking up and forward for what's coming next. I also especially like the first lion shot, for its expression and fabulous mane, and well defined eyes. Oh, heck, I like them all. Keep working. Post more! Best, Pam

Thanks Pma and I'm still processing my images from the trip so it's a safe bet to that there will be a few more.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PeterBirdPeterBird Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2013
    I love the processing of these shots, especially the first three!
    Regards,
    Peter
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2013
    Gary752 wrote: »
    Love them all Harry! Were these shot in color then converted to B/W? If so what software do you use for your conversions? Post more photos PLEASE!!!!

BTW...When is your next trip? I always love seeing your posts when you return from your trips!

GaryB

Thanks Gary, These were done in color and then converted to B&W using the most excellent Silver Efex plug-in from NIK software.

My next trip will be in June to the Galapagos followed by a trip to Tanzania in January.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2013
    bfjr wrote: »
    Hey wave.gif Snarky here :D

1 & 3 get the nod from me.

#2 did you add a blue tint?

I also feel that the B&W show more clearly the hard life these Animals lead, especially the Blue Elephant!

Thanks Mr Snarky :D

Of course I added the "blue" tint (aka Siver Efex's Cool Tone). I was getting bored and wanted to try something different.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2013
    I have to agree with Benjamin with 1 & 3 for the best in this set for me too. #2 is a nice shot but I'm not so sure that I like the process of that image and think that having it like 1 & 3 would have me going with 1, 2 and 3 in a row. Just my 2 cents w orth Harry.

Agreeing with Ben is habit one should avoid. :D

Thanks for the comments Dennis.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2013
    PeterBird wrote: »
    I love the processing of these shots, especially the first three!
    Regards,
    Peter

Thanks very much Peter.
    Harry