Options

Lens for indoor shots

Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited March 30, 2013 in Accessories
I'd appreciate some recommendations for a lens for a crop camera (I'm considering an NEX-6).
I will need a lens that will serve me well for indoor, family shots where there will probably be some light challenge, that I can also hopefully also use one-time for close concert shots (3rd row).
I'm thinking something in the 16 or 20 mm/2.8 range would work, and that "longer" lenses might not be wide enough.
Is 20 mm too "long"--get the 16mm?
Other recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,828 moderator
    edited March 30, 2013
    According to one of your previous posts you have, or perhaps you had, a Canon S95.

I suggest reviewing your previous images with that camera, looking to see what really interests you and what didn't work. Review the images with a viewer that has an EXIF capability to show you the focal lengths, and focal length equivalence.

Actually write down the focal lengths with notes about why particular shots worked and didn't work.

Translate those discoveries into your future purchases.

I can tell you that, in my experience and opinion, a fast-aperture standard zoom is made for indoor social events. The ability to quickly transit between wide and mild telephoto is extremely handy when you need the wide to show social relationships, and then individual and intimate narrow-angle shots at the longer end.

For the concert shots I highly recommend the addition of a large-aperture short telephoto prime. Just look at what our Andy was able to do at a "Sting" and "Joss Stone" concert (4th row):

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11413

In summary, your review of your own previous images should indicate a direction for either a prime lens or zoom lens for social events. Then add the short telephoto and you should be covered for what you described as your needs in the post above.

Finally, I strongly recommend the use of an external flash and flash modifier for the social events. It's extremely rare to find indoor available lighting that is sufficient and pleasing. A flash with an AF assist lamp improves AF speed and accuracy. All of this leads to images with much better pop and a much improved keeper rate.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2013
    Thanks for the response!
    I will definitely go back through my shots with my current camera and see what focal lengths I used most with my indoor/family shots.

Unfortunately, if I do go with the NEX-6 (for really good portability and travel), there aren't any fast standard zooms, only primes.
    The kit lens is a 16-50 variable aperture that won't be fast enough for the concert.
    The primes are 16 & 20/2.8, 35 & 50/1.8.

Andy's 85/1.8 shots were tremendous!

Since the concert my daughter is going to is a 5-member group, I was worried about not being wide enough from the third row, but after seeing Andy's shots, I think it would make more sense to not go wide and try to get better individual shots.
    I'll review my EXIF data and see which would probably make more sense for me.

Thanks again!

Edit: I reviewed a bunch of my family shots, and many were taken at 6mm, which is the wide end for the S95, which has about a 4.5 crop factor (from my research online).
    That equates to approx. 27 mm, so using an APS-C 1.5 crop, it would equate to approx. 18 mm on a crop.
    Maybe I should lean towards the 20/2.8 or 35/1.8???
    I know there is no way to know ahead of time, but maybe I should start there and see how things work out.