Options

Fresh website & SM thoughts (critique please)

bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
edited March 31, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
So I recently re-launched my website and stepped away from SmugMug as my front-end to my customers & the world. It wasn't an easy decision, but after much thought & research I went with a Wordpress hosted site. I initially started to build a Squarespace site, but in the end I wasn't pleased enough with their front-end offerings either. Though their back-end design, mobile capability and UI were awesome for sure!

I am sticking around with SmugMug for my client galleries, events and print sales. I don't think there is a 'perfect' website solution for me out there but SmugMug is so darn close. If they could add the following without having to pay somebody big bucks to customize I'd be sooooo happy...

• Full blog integration
  • Better image display options (more gallery/slideshow options)
  • Much more varied and 21st century front-end design templates
  • Better mobile integration
  • Better social media integration
That's it for me. Five items and I'm sold on Smuggy for life. Make it happen!

In any case, if ya'll wouldn't mind I'd love some feedback on my new site. It isn't mobile friendly yet (big bummer) but I really dig the design and function so far.

www.nicklasurephotography.com

Also, here is my 'parking' page for SmugMug now, just a simple landing page directing folks to my new site in case they land there.

www.nl-photo.smugmug.com

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited March 22, 2013
    Once it loads, it looks nice. It's slow to load the first time. Some of the navigation is a bit difficult-especially when you need to navigate to a second menu. I'm also not a big fan of the Ken Burns Effect-however, I think it works well here. Overall, the site is very clean and I like the design a lot.

You list a few commercial clients in your "about" section but don't have any examples. Be cool to include a Lifestyle category and a few of those shots-I know I've seen one or two of the publications you listed (BDC and Dirt Rag-I love that magazine). And the GoPro video is pretty cool too (I just learned a trick of putting foam under the chesty mount to slow the bounce down).

Anyhow, very nice job on the new design!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2013
    I think you need a better way to return to your home page from your purchase page
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Once it loads, it looks nice. It's slow to load the first time. Some of the navigation is a bit difficult-especially when you need to navigate to a second menu. I'm also not a big fan of the Ken Burns Effect-however, I think it works well here. Overall, the site is very clean and I like the design a lot.

You list a few commercial clients in your "about" section but don't have any examples. Be cool to include a Lifestyle category and a few of those shots-I know I've seen one or two of the publications you listed (BDC and Dirt Rag-I love that magazine). And the GoPro video is pretty cool too (I just learned a trick of putting foam under the chesty mount to slow the bounce down).

Anyhow, very nice job on the new design!

Thanks for the comments Ian. Yeah, the site definitely loads a little slow at first. The template was first published a couple years ago I think it could be a bit buggy/slow. Not sure though ne_nau.gif

Adding a section on my published work is on the list for sure. Oh and I love Dirt Rag too! My one published pic was a small one that had to do with a local meeting about trail access. Hope to get some larger riding pics soon. I'm winding down the wedding/portrait stuff and trying to focus on art/magazine stuff instead. Long road ahead thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2013
    I think you need a better way to return to your home page from your purchase page

Thanks for checking out the site thumb.gif

I agree, need to brainstorm a little and see what works best. The banner at the top takes you back, but I realize it isn't terribly obvious.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2013
    bike21 wrote: »
    Adding a section on my published work is on the list for sure. Oh and I love Dirt Rag too! My one published pic was a small one that had to do with a local meeting about trail access. Hope to get some larger riding pics soon. I'm winding down the wedding/portrait stuff and trying to focus on art/magazine stuff instead. Long road ahead thumb.gif

Lot's of opportunity. You live in an awesome part of the country too. Riding there is almost as good as the riding here :D
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited March 24, 2013
    ...if ya'll wouldn't mind I'd love some feedback on my new site.
    As the previous posters noted the site is very slow to load. If I wasn't opening it in response to your request for feedback I would have simply closed the site without waiting.

It took me a minute to realize there was a side navbar that slid out.

I find a background image annoying when I am reading text. I know the background image is muted, but I still find it detracts from reading.

The Purchase entry in your navbar takes me to a smugmug page that doesn't match your web site in any way. Dark background to white background is a non-starter. Plus there is no way back to your site except for the back button or by happening to click on the top level in the breadcrumb which takes the viewer to the home page on your smug site which provides a link back to your full site. There should be a single click method of returning to your main site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2013
    KISS.
    load was 30+ sec for me.
    the sidebar does not "invite" a visitor to click.
    Not a fan of the sliding/shrinking/growing transitions.
    most everything else already said.
    nice work, though. good luck!
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it even if I don't like what I hear thumb.gif

- The slow loading was due to my own idiocy of using basically giant files. I reduced the size of the images and it now loads within a few seconds after clearing my browser. So big thanks for pointing that out.

- I also re-worked my purchase page to darken it up and make it easier to return to my portfolio site. I got rid of the SM breadcrumbs so as not to confuse potential clients.

- The Ken Burns effect (main slideshow) and navigation menu remarks boil down to a bit of personal taste I think. I'm honestly still unsure about the Ken Burns effect, but might hold onto it for a bit longer. The nav menu I can actually make it stay put on the page. Not sure I want to, but I definitely appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Loads a ton faster!

I think it's an F5 I'm looking at BTW.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Good to hear! F5 indeed!
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2013
    One of my favorites growing up. NASA/Ames Research Center used to see pretty regular flights when the shuttle crews trained in the vertical motion facility (very cool facility btw).
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it even if I don't like what I hear thumb.gif

- The slow loading was due to my own idiocy of using basically giant files. I reduced the size of the images and it now loads within a few seconds after clearing my browser. So big thanks for pointing that out.

- I also re-worked my purchase page to darken it up and make it easier to return to my portfolio site. I got rid of the SM breadcrumbs so as not to confuse potential clients.

- The Ken Burns effect (main slideshow) and navigation menu remarks boil down to a bit of personal taste I think. I'm honestly still unsure about the Ken Burns effect, but might hold onto it for a bit longer. The nav menu I can actually make it stay put on the page. Not sure I want to, but I definitely appreciate the feedback.

I'm biased because I use it on my site, so I obviously like it. :D
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2013
    I'm biased because I use it on my site, so I obviously like it. :D

Thanks Mike! Dig your work! I'm very much looking forward to hitting Yosemite one day.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2013
    Thanks Mike! Dig your work! I'm very much looking forward to hitting Yosemite one day.

Four hours ish from SFO/OAK/SJC. Even closer from FAT wings.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2013
    Indeed! Haven't had a FAT overnight in years though.