Options

Portrait of a Lilac

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited April 1, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
It's a rather Spring-like day today in SoCal.... the cold winter weather favored the lilacs this year.

Portrait%20of%20a%20Lilac-XL.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2013
    Ummmm -- Wow...that just popped off the screen! How did you do it?
  • Options
    WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2013
    Terrific shot. Very well done.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Eia wrote: »
    ...... How did you do it?

Thanks for the comment and question AnnaMaria - the how: (sorry, it's a bit long-winded)

5D MkIII, ISO 400, 0.4sec + 70-200mm f4L IS USM @ 144mm, f14 + tripod and cable release.
    Manual exposure and focus in magnified live view.
    I cannot say enough good things about this lens - it lives-up to it's reputation.

I would have liked to shoot "on the vine", but I knew I could get better results using a table-top set-up.
    Lighting is morning (no direct sun), natural, eastern-window from camera right, and a close, white-paper reflector 45deg on camera left.
    Background is the black panel of a 5-in-1 reflector set, 4-5ft. behind, leaning against a floor/wall out of the light.
    Shooting angle is somewhat down to keep the B/G panel low, so, the subject angle is adjusted accordingly in-order to stay parallel to the focal-plane.

Processing in LR4 - clarity slightly up, vibrance and saturation slightly down - I like to use individual color-channel luminance adjustments to get the right balance of tones - my usual goal is to create as much of a 3D look as possible.
    Had to reduce (burn) highlights on the hot bits and lift the shadows a little. The wonderful fragrance was already included :-)
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Thanks for the look and comment Werner - much appreciated.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Hi Eric, the detail on this is stunning - beautiful colours. And thanks for your set-up note - very interesting.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Wow... so clean and vibrant. Impressive potency. Sweet result Eric thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Outstanding, Eric. The choices you made in the set-up for this shot really paid off...and the subsequent PP work brought it all to fore. clap.gif

Well done, my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Wow, I just have to repeat what others have said, great light and depth. Is this focus stacked or did the f14 do the trick? clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Eric, the detail on this is stunning - beautiful colours. And thanks for your set-up note - very interesting.

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks for your kind comments Richard... I expect y'all are headed for winter down there.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Wow... so clean and vibrant. Impressive potency. Sweet result Eric thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Hey Michael, thanks! Speaking of potency, I wish this was Smell-O-Vision 'cause this variety will perfume a whole room.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Outstanding, Eric. The choices you made in the set-up for this shot really paid off...and the subsequent PP work brought it all to fore. clap.gif

Well done, my friend,

Tom

Hi Tom,
    Glad you enjoyed it... It's that time of the year for flower pics, so I figured I'd get mine in early.
    Actually, I think you and I - in our respective southern corners - have a jump on Spring... I've heard they want to fire that Groundhog up north. :D
    Thanks so much for commenting!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Wow, I just have to repeat what others have said, great light and depth. Is this focus stacked or did the f14 do the trick? clap.gif
    Thanks for the feedback Cristóbal - much appreciated!
    I think the variety of textures, shapes, and angles of this type of flower helped create the depth, and the quality of natural light from this window has never let me down.
    No stacking, just f14 and care to keep the arrangement entirely in the DOF.
    Also - despite the adage that it's (often) the photographer, not the gear - I think this body/lens combination just kicks-a$$. iloveyou.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Hey Michael, thanks! Speaking of potency, I wish this was Smell-O-Vision 'cause this variety will perfume a whole room.
    I could go for that :D easy like. Could also go for the tree next to my garden chair in a warm shade. Ahhh Sweet lingering. Eyes closed. Little nap :cavig
    Did I mention this is image is even better today than I saw it yesterday headscratch.gifiloveyou.gif
    It is just so intensely illustrative and exact in every transition or expression of what I see. I am willing to
    go to every little flower bud and check it out. Sniff around. Pops right off the page. The project it took
    to get this was seriously worth it thumb.gif Clone that.
    Michael
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 28, 2013
    Simply beautiful. clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    Simply beautiful. clap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks so much Richard, for the look and the encouragement.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    Beautiful image Eric thumb.gif

Great light, colors and yes, it does have quite a bit of "3D" to it!
    Randy
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Beautiful image Eric thumb.gif

Great light, colors and yes, it does have quite a bit of "3D" to it!

Appreciate the comment Randy..thanks!
    3D without the funny-looking glasses. :ivar
    Eric ~ Smugmug