Mini Challenge #161 - Time Travel

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited April 8, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Mini-Challenge #161! The theme of this challenge will be Time Travel.

Try to take your viewer back in time by submitting a photo that has nothing in it that reminds you of the late 20th or early 21st centuries. Try to include a structure, furnishings, or people in your image. Take us back in time. Make us wonder if it's 1973, 1943, 1893, 1773, or earlier. It isn’t required to submit images in sepia or black & white -- after all, folks back then saw in color!

This challenge starts now and will close at 11:59 PM (Eastern Time), April 7, 2013

*** Fresh photos are welcome. If you haven't thought about this subject before, please feel free and take some photos during the challenge period.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

Here are some examples:

1) Hibbs House, Washington Crossing, PA
IMG_3898%20copy-L.jpg

2) Injured German Soldiers
IMG_4249-L.jpg

3) Civil War Soldier
i-fW8xHbw-L.jpg

4) House in Ruins
SMUG_IMG_3748BW-L.jpg

5) Thompson's Mill, Solebury Twp., PA
IMG_0783-L.jpg

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    I had a boss that was a lot younger than I was. I showed him a photo of my family (me and my three kids, my sister and her three, and my parents) taken about 1969 - about the time he graduated HS. His comment was that he did not know that they had color film then. But I have color photos taken in the early 1940s. This is me when I was about 4 years old, so about 1942
    M0006-40022-25.JPG

My personal pet peeve is black and white photos that weren't originally black and white and don't need to be black and white.

I have tons of photos taken back in the 50s - even some that I took and probably over 1000 taken in the 1960's. But I'm assuming you don't want that - you want contemporary photos that look like they may have been taken back then.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    M0006-40022-25.JPG

Lovely!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited March 27, 2013
    travelways wrote: »
    Lovely!

Thank you

But this isn't an entry - I obviously could not have taken the photo
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    Thank you

But this isn't an entry - I obviously could not have taken the photo

I agree with Tatiana in that it's a lovely photo!
    edited March 28, 2013
    Kudos to my dad then because it is his photo :).

I've been thinking about this and I've decided to do a separate thread of my own of photos that were taken (some by my parents and some by me and some OF me) - photos separated by a number of years (sometimes 50 years - sometimes more and sometimes less). For the most part, I can't enter these here because many of them I did not take. They were taken by my parents or my husband or maybe in some cases by my sister.

Time wasting at its finest!!!!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=233283

Then and Now
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    1. Lonely Tracts
    second-0242fs-XL.jpg

2. Dinner Time
    HOUSE%207-XL.jpg

3. Candle Light
    CANDLELIGHT-L.jpg
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    May be subject to change, but I thought a few of my shots from Joshua Tree's Key's Ranch would fit this theme nicely.

20130216JoshuaTree-188-L.jpg

20130216JoshuaTree-102-L.jpg

20130216JoshuaTree-324-L.jpg
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
    edited March 28, 2013
    I've decided to give you three different things. One I took in 1968, one I took in 2004, and one I took today

IMG_8274.JPG

100_4598.jpg

This is one taken in Louisiana at the Longfellow-Evangeline State Historic Site inside the 1815 plantation house in 2004.

OLDNEW.JPG

This was taken in Key West of the conch houses (Bahamian architecture). I suppose technically it isn't a correct entry because the photo was taken in 1967. When we lived in Key West, I was taking a painting class (outdoors) and this is one of the places that we went to paint. This was the painting that I did

00900020.JPG

(I've made each of my children take some of my paintings - this one went to my daughter who lives in Florida). The houses are still the same except that trees have grown and hidden them a little bit, and they've put up a picket fence and a fancy light pole. This was taken from the car as we drove by in 2004, and isn't an entry

ry%25253D400.jpg
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    China Camp San Pablo Bay
    CGK_8201-XL.jpg
    Virginia City Nevada
    Virginia%20%26%20Truckee1-XL.jpg

SierraRoomTunnel-XL.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • zoomnzoomn Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    edited March 29, 2013
    The top two of zoomn and the bottom one of DsrtVW do not look like old to me - they look like current re-enactments/restorations of old buildings/sites because they are too 'pretty'. Beautiful pictures, but not what I thought was wanted. The black and white ones look older (although I really don't like artificial black and white i.e. photos that could have been in color but have been made black and white by post-processing). My experience with old color photos is that the color is not as exuberant in film as it is in digital. It can be very saturated, but it doesn't look quite the same.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    San Xavier Mission, Tucson, AZ
    San-Xavier-L.jpg

Ganna Walska's Garden
    Lotusland%20circa%202013-L.jpg

Withering Heights (Click for larger version)
    20130328%20Lotusland-1-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited March 29, 2013
    The top two of zoomn and the bottom one of DsrtVW do not look like old to me - they look like current re-enactments/restorations of old buildings/sites because they are too 'pretty'. Beautiful pictures, but not what I thought was wanted. The black and white ones look older (although I really don't like artificial black and white i.e. photos that could have been in color but have been made black and white by post-processing). My experience with old color photos is that the color is not as exuberant in film as it is in digital. It can be very saturated, but it doesn't look quite the same.
    Hi GrandmaR!

Actually, those images are right on target with the theme, as are yours. thumb.gif

What may look old and beat up to us now was brand new at one time. If you were to have traveled back in time to the 18th century, you would have countered a scene much like that which zoomn captured. mwink.gif
    edited March 29, 2013
    In the old days, people's clothes were not laundered or cleaned as much as they are now, so the red coat of the gentleman wouldn't have been so bright. I'm thinking of the soldier re-enacter's clothes that you have as an example. The clothes wouldn't stay new looking very long. I know my mother (born in 1909) said that her mother often wore house dresses that were torn out and baggy (although she wore corsets under them). My mother had one good dress that she wore to church, and when she got home she took it off and put it back in the closet until the next Sunday. You used your previous year's good dress to play in. We hung things out on the line where the sun was apt to bleach them.

(deleting non-entries taking back in the day)

But if you are happy with them, then that's all that matters.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    1. Dolls (I took this picture last year & distressed it to make it look older.)
    i-Fpn5br2-L.jpg

2. Boots (Taken in 2010)
    i-ShFmbV8-L.jpg

3. News boy (Taken in 2006)
    i-d4HB5Pb-L.jpg

Sherry
    edited March 29, 2013
    Tango wrote: »
    You're always so nice:D I would'a said that three snapshots of powerlines are just not in tune with the essense to this theme..... but maybe thats just because I-a started drink'g earlier than usual today...

Think about it: power lines have been around for a while. I think they started popping up in the 19th century.

Cheers! beer.gif
    edited March 29, 2013
    1.Vendor taking a break (Sherbrooke Pioneer Village, Nova Scotia, Canada)

2. BlueNose II (Lunenburg, Nova Scotia)

3. End of the workday (Louisburg Fortress, Nova Scotia)

Travelways.com
    edited March 29, 2013
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Virginia City Nevada
    Virginia%20%26%20Truckee1-S.jpg

This is wonderful!
    Travelways.com
    edited March 29, 2013
    richtersl wrote: »
    Think about it: power lines have been around for a while. I think they started popping up in the 19th century.

Cheers! beer.gif
    removing old photos

If you see no power lines, that's a sign to me that it is a restoration and not original. People didn't bury power lines in those days. It may not be 'artistic' to have them. But a photo actually taken in the 20th century would have had power lines in it unless the area didn't have electricity.

When I was looking for a photo to take yesterday in Leonardtown (and here is an old photo of the main street)

lemnst.jpg

that would look old, I didn't even consider not have electric lines in it. What I think shows that the photo is not old are things like

vinyl siding on the houses
    those big trash cans on wheels
    house numbers with five digits
    modern traffic signs
    accessibility ramps and railings in places which would not originally have had them (like moat bridges)

and of course new cars and modern clothing including wrist watches. And permapress. In the old days things got wrinkled when you wore them. If I see people dressed as colonial times and they are all fresh and crisp, I don't believe it. Those were the things I was trying to keep out of my photos.

I think this may be a difference in perspective from someone who remembers how things actually were back then. It is like that website that is titled "I am so old that I have actually dialed a rotary phone before", and I not only have dialed one, but I still have one.
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Tried to find three quite different things ... but might change my mind later.

1) Old Ways

IMG_3056-XL.jpg

2) End of Steam

IMG_6331-XL.jpg

3) Old Police Phone Box - going back in time with a Tardis!

IMG_8306-Edit-3-XL.jpg

Fun challenge, and some lovely interesting shots here by GrandmaR in my view ... good luck everyone.

Alan.
    edited March 30, 2013
    Love "Old Ways". Was it a draft horse?
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2013
    Great Challenge Theme!

Get Headquarters on the Horn
    Get%20Headquarters-XL.jpg

Sad Banjo Man
    SadBanjo-2-XL.jpg

Train Station
    Luggage%20Cart-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    1. lady and a gentleman
    IMG_8244_Localtone-XL.jpg

2. the abbey
    IMG_3122_Localtone-XL.jpg

3. rue d'vin
    IMG_4960_59_1_Localtone-XL.jpg
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    Love the theme Linda! Here are my humble submissions.

FIRE!
    i-n4QmsV2-L.jpg

Ol' No. 734
    i-CPv64mp-L.jpg

C&O Canal
    20110508-01-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    Wow, Kentwaller - terrific set!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    Timepiece:

i-XTsbtgW-L.jpg

Recreating the American Frontier

i-bWbTSV8-L.jpg

Victorian Doll

i-35f7R4Q-L.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    billseye wrote: »
    Wow, Kentwaller - terrific set!

thanks bill
  • NWPhilNWPhil Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 1, 2013
    is it me or..
    people are confusing the intent?
    - should I go dig for old pictures, or take new shots and then either or by PP and compostion make it look was taken a few decades ago at least?
  • NWPhilNWPhil Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 1, 2013
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    NWPhil wrote: »
    people are confusing the intent?
    - should I go dig for old pictures, or take new shots and then either or by PP and compostion make it look was taken a few decades ago at least?

Dont worry about it too much, do what you feel based on the Judges Theme, not what poeple are posting or comments from drugstore cowgirls & boys....
    Aaron Nelson