Options

Minimal Sunset

DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited April 5, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
These are captures from lastnight while trying to see if Comet PanStarrs was visible for us up here at 44 degrees N Latitude.
Well I could not find it. Maybe in a couple days where there is another premium opportunity depending on the weather over our way.
Praying for no clouds that night too :D

#1 Pretty evening. Little chilly too. No Mars No Comet. Dang :confused Was actually hoping the camera would pick them up, either one if my eyes could not.
In this image from 07 it did pick up faint in the sunset.
Good luck to you all looking for this. May your skies be clear ones :thumb
WU1_WMweb_7752-XL.jpg

#2 With 2 flocks of geese cruising by in the distance
WU1_WMweb_7780-XL.jpg
Michael

Comments

• Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2013
    Two winners. I love the way you worked the shadows above the horizon line in the first one.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2013
    Thanks for saying Steve :D Very pleased you find these coming off so well. Makes it worth the effort.

Still no comet in my pics that I can see. This is a pic from the following night so I could study the sky
    once again for that silly have to see it comet. Not 1 of the 3 people on site could even see a star in that area of sky until well after sunset.
    But then that patch of sky is not populated with a ton of stars as found in or around the milky way.
    Thought I'd try for a new look for that viewing spot. Was wondering if I could get a nice reflection to come off decent.

28-29_LakeReflect-WU1wmweb-XL.jpg
    Michael
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2013
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2013
    What beautiful sunsets .. I too like the first 2 posted, but the last one is my favorite thumb.gif
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2013
    Very nice Michael.... the color gradients are super!
    Careful (silly comet), don't offend the Gods because when it does arrive, your signs, omens, and portents may not be good. :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    cgmcdonaldcgmcdonald Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2013
    Very nice images!
    My Site: www.cgmphoto.us
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    I agree -- two winners.
    Thank you for such nice feedback Josh :D
    Dogdots wrote: »
    What beautiful sunsets .. I too like the first 2 posted, but the last one is my favorite thumb.gif
    Thank you for saying Mary. You have to know I am pleased you are liking that
    image over the others. There was an interesting technique involved with that one. Have only used it a
    sparingly few times but I can see myself doing it again here and there.
    Earache wrote: »
    Very nice Michael.... the color gradients are super!
    Careful (silly comet), don't offend the Gods because when it does arrive, your signs, omens, and portents may not be good. :D
    I'm with you on those grads. So little push went a long ways.
    Didn't you see the memo. I am already in trouble with the gods. They sent and envoy. You've seen him yes? Blue fellow. Built like a brick house mwink.gif I've got him staying at the Y. He says he likes the
    workout there. Luvs the pool :D Me, I am working on my portents. I thought they were polished,
    perfect and powered up only to find out they are poorly perked and peckish. headscratch.gif My bad.
    cgmcdonald wrote: »
    Very nice images!
    Thank you much for saying Charles :D Am grateful to know these work well
    Michael
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2013
    DaddyO wrote: »
    I'm with you on those grads. So little push went a long ways.
    Didn't you see the memo. I am already in trouble with the gods. They sent and envoy. You've seen him yes? Blue fellow. Built like a brick house mwink.gif I've got him staying at the Y. He says he likes the
    workout there. Luvs the pool :D Me, I am working on my portents. I thought they were polished,
    perfect and powered up only to find out they are poorly perked and peckish. headscratch.gif My bad.

rolleyes1.gif What a coincidence - my wife has cajoled me into taking Water Aerobics at the Y and I'd swear I ran into your friend yesterday 'cause he kept getting into my personal space - really pi$$ed me off - I had to consume about 1800 calories afterword just to settle down. rolleyes1.gif

OK, tonite's the nite!.... awesome clear skies - high perch - 100-400mm + 1.4 TC - tin-foil helmet - wish me luck!

I always admire awesome alliteration Michael! clap.gif You crack me up!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 15, 2013
    The comet is getting a little higher in the sky through, I think, the 18th. Happens about 30 minutes or so after sunset and can be seen near the rising moon.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    The comet is getting a little higher in the sky through, I think, the 18th. Happens about 30 minutes or so after sunset and can be seen near the rising moon.

Yes, I imagine by now... providing your local weather has been good to you that there is a fine
    crescent moon + PanStarrs Comet image in your stable. That would be awesome. Me, I battled clouds fighting for scraps of anything that might be the comet in the vicinity of the moon. We didn't know exactly where per say. We knew south of ... or just exactly left of the moon. So we figured a couple 3 moon widths to get us started on the search... Charts are not always so accurate :D turns out it was about 7 degrees left. Considerable distance on perfect game day 12th of March. Moon about 4 percent illuminate. Beautiful
    crescent and sweet earth shine on it. That is so cool the earth shine. The lions share of what we see of the moon being reflected light from earth. Tonight the moon will be quite a distance from the comet.
    We will not get to see it tonight for another night in a row. These tools you know have been helping out.
    http://cleardarksky.com/csk/prov/Nevada_map.html?Mn=eyepiece
    Spaceweather.com
    http://www.world-timedate.com/astronomy/moonrise_moonset/moonrise_moonset_time.php?city_id=33
    I dislike posting my sorry image but I will... providing I can come up with a sad story :D and I can cause it was. LoL
    Michael
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2013
    Hey Michael,

There's a certain quietness that happens when our part of the world goes to sleep. I get that feeling when I see your images here.

Good job thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    JoReJoRe Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2013
    bowdown.gif Your pictures makes me think of summer, the evening turning into night, the need to close up the boat while you still want the moment to last. Great job! iloveyou.gif
    Jon Reveman
    http://blog.jonreveman.com - - My little blog around photography, tutorials and short stories
    http://reveman.smugmug.com - Photo gallery
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Hey Michael,

There's a certain quietness that happens when our part of the world goes to sleep. I get that feeling when I see your images here.

Good job thumb.gif
    Thank you very much Randy. Your comment reminds me to smell the roses along the way. Breath in
    everything. Am tempted to put that very sticky on my dashboard and leave it there the rest of my life.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2013
    JoRe wrote: »
    bowdown.gif Your pictures makes me think of summer, the evening turning into night, the need to close up the boat while you still want the moment to last. Great job! iloveyou.gif
    Super nice thing to say and just what I needed to hear just now. Thank you :D:D:D
    I get this feeling you know your boat so well you could easily put it to bed in very little light at all.
    Michael