images for advertisign print

BrunswickBrunswick Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited April 5, 2013 in Technique
Hello,
I have a commercial client that has requested I shoot images for her to use on the web as well as for print in flyers and brochures.
How do I make sure to give her images that will not be muddy in print. Do I need to edit web and print images differently. Will I need to give her two files for every image she settles on, a print version and web version?
Thanks.

Comments

• BrunswickBrunswick Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Just changing my notification settings.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 26, 2013
    It's hard to know how to respond without knowing specifically what you have agreed to. If you have a written contract, it would be nice to know the exact wording in the contract which relates to your question.

If you don't have a contract, heaven help you. The client may ask for anything, and you may even be obliged to comply.

What sizes are involved? (Physical sizes and resolutions and/or dpi.) (For instance, the requirements for a 2-page spread are quite different from a small insert image.)

What file types and color systems are required? (JPG, TIFF, sRGB, A-RGB, CMYK, ...) Web requirements are typically sRGB, but print requirements can be anything the printer, and the print process, requires. Sharpening requirements will indeed vary by size and media.

Typically there are vastly different requirements which "may" be requested, depending also upon the specifics of how the items are printed.

It would be best to get the specific requirements from your client's vendors, to see what they need in order to comply with your client's wishes.

If the client is less specific in their request, I suggest supplying for the greatest common denominator, and perhaps in a couple of different file formats too. At least then it should be more difficult for the client to come after you later for non-compliance. In that case, make sure that your client knows that they are responsible for final-use sharpening.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    make sure you are working on a HW calibrated monitor for one.

1) edit images to taste and assume that web images will reflect pretty close to you edited images.
    2) for print, images will tend to to be slightly darker then what you see on your monitor (not sure why technically bit they just tend to) Depending on the nature of your images, you may want to give 2 sets..but in general 1 set would be okay.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • BrunswickBrunswick Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Thanks for the info. What do you mean by HW? I calibrate my monitors using Spyder4. My printers are not calibrated but I rarely use them for customers.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Brunswick wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. What do you mean by HW? I calibrate my monitors using Spyder4. My printers are not calibrated but I rarely use them for customers.

hardware. you are fine then
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com