Options

Backcountry Skiing & Snowboarding - Three Sisters Backcountry

kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited April 5, 2013 in Sports
These are some of my best shots out of four days last weekend based out of a backcountry hut in the Three Sisters Wilderness of Oregon.

5V1A6946-Edit-XL.jpg

5V1A7008-Edit2-XL.jpg

5V1A7010-Edit-2-XL.jpg

5V1A7357-Edit-XL.jpg

5V1A7379-Edit-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Fantastic! Love the roost. I saw the storm picture on Venture's Facebook page this morning.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Fantastic! Love the roost. I saw the storm picture on Venture's Facebook page this morning.

Oh that's funny. I didn't know it was there until now.
    Working on a watermark to at least identify my images when they get shared.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited March 27, 2013
    What ZD said. Fantastic.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2013
    Thank you both! When I realized I was going to be getting that backlit roost hanging in the air in front of the shadows, I was like... wings.gif
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    f***ing spectacular. I don't care about Jeeps. This is what I want to see.

What's up with the exif info though? Some wacky apertures being reported for the 70-200/4.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2013

What's up with the exif info though? Some wacky apertures being reported for the 70-200/4.

That's interesting. The exif shown by Lightroom and smugmug for the posted images is correct. All f/11 except the last which is f/4. My Exif Viewer application also read them correctly. Not sure why you are seeing wacky values...

In any case, thanks so much!
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013

I'm the same, all f2.4 except the last one which shows as f1.4.

Nice work.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2013
    If someone reading bad exif values can let me know what you are using, I'll see if I can figure it out. Smugmug, Lightroom and Exif Viewer on Mac show correct values for me.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    Ah well that is interesting:

FxIF Data is reporting f1.4 ne_nau.gif
    Exif Viewer is reporting f4 :D

so looks like the problem is with FxIF - something I will need to watch out for in the future.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    isdillyisdilly Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Digging the shots with shadows in them! Especially the black and white. #3 takes the cake I think though.

Ps. I think your sensor/lens might have been a touch dirty, mainly noticeable on the first shot.
    Travel writer/photographer. Please leave comments and Share my work, it helps me improve!
    Smugmug-DylanWyerPhotography.smugmug.com
    Tumblr-dylanwyerphotography.tumblr.com
    Website-Capturingendlesstravel.com
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2013
    isdilly wrote: »
    Digging the shots with shadows in them! Especially the black and white. #3 takes the cake I think though.

Ps. I think your sensor/lens might have been a touch dirty, mainly noticeable on the first shot.

Thanks!

Do you mean the lens flare (green spot on the top of #1)? That's from running a UV filter without a hood. I opted not to try to fix it in post and even considered enhancing it (I'm not crazy about the green blotch but some other frames in the sequence had more of a spectral flare that I liked more). Maybe I'll try to work on that and repost.

Backstory: Ideally, I would have had packed my lens hood on this day but I was packed light on the camera gear and heavier on the avy and other backcountry gear :D The hood is not heavy but it is bulky, even reversed on the camera. For space efficiency, I just carry the camera in a Domke wrap for this type of adventure.

5V1A6810-XL.jpg
  • Options
    isdillyisdilly Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Yep that's the one! About 2/3rds of the way to the right. Note, it does carry down in a second (possibly 3rd) blotch into the middle of the frame. But hardly noticeable!
    kurtw wrote: »
    Thanks!

Do you mean the lens flare (green spot on the top of #1)? That's from running a UV filter without a hood. I opted not to try to fix it in post and even considered enhancing it (I'm not crazy about the green blotch but some other frames in the sequence had more of a spectral flare that I liked more). Maybe I'll try to work on that and repost.

Backstory: Ideally, I would have had packed my lens hood on this day but I was packed light on the camera gear and heavier on the avy and other backcountry gear :D The hood is not heavy but it is bulky, even reversed on the camera. For space efficiency, I just carry the camera in a Domke wrap for this type of adventure.

5V1A6810-XL.jpg
    Travel writer/photographer. Please leave comments and Share my work, it helps me improve!
    Smugmug-DylanWyerPhotography.smugmug.com
    Tumblr-dylanwyerphotography.tumblr.com
    Website-Capturingendlesstravel.com