HMs and Winners - Mini Challenge #161: Time Travel

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited April 9, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thank you all for giving me a hard time with this. Seriously, I enjoyed judging the entries and would like to thank all the participants for making my week. :wink

Honorable Mentions

zoomn
Oh my! I definitely felt like I was transported back to the 18th century via this image. I felt like I was a visitor approaching these two young men. The lighting that day was rather flat for you that day, but you still managed to capture some nice detail in the shadows underneath the porch.
Williamsburg_6227-L.jpg

billseye
This reminds me of a late 19th / early 20th hand tinted image. This image is proof that central compositions can work well! Great depth of field, very pleasing image.
Lotusland%20circa%202013-L.jpg

Travelways
As with zoomn’s photo, I feel like I was transported back to the 18th century via this image. I love the interaction you captured between the woman and the man wearing the tricorn hat.
end-day-louisburg-fortress-nova-scotia-2-L.jpg

KevXMan
With the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg happening this year, your image reminded me of the Pennsylvania militia units that were the first line of defense for the town during the Confederate invasion. Their uniforms were still new and they hadn’t experienced the rigors of war yet. Timing gunfire is not easy and you caught this one perfectly. I think Matthew Brady would have been very jealous.
i-n4QmsV2-L.jpg

Winners

3rd Place - isdilly
This composition is wonderfully timed. You managed to get the buggy and the destination into the composition to create a wonderful story for the viewer to ponder. The warm hues of the scene make me think of curries and spices. I can easily picture a scene like this taking place in Burma in the 1930s - 1940s.
DSC_3149-L.jpg

2nd Place - Deset Dave
Holy cow! Great B&W conversion and use of wide angle. Seems to me you broke another rule -- with the short shadows it looks as though you took this around midday, as opposed to early morning or late afternoon -- and with terrific results. I can visualize a scene like this place as I’m traveling west during the Depression era.
DSC_0029-200x200.jpg

And now the moment you all have been waiting for!

1st Place
Drum roll please! :drums
kentwaller
I guess lightning can strike twice. :wink Like billseye’s entry, this central composition also works really well. What impresses me most with your shot is a mystical mood you captured with the lighting. I don’t mind that the central point is slightly overexposed because it provides a nice anchor point for the eye. Your processing, and the costumes look to be reminiscent of the 19th century. Well done!

And I now pass the baton on to you for the next mini-challenge!
IMG_8244_Localtone-XL.jpg

Comments

• superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    I sat this one out but really enjoyed following it. Some wonderful entries and deserving winners. Bravo!
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    richtersl thank you very much!

i shot this in the gardens of ludwigsburg palace, just north of stuttgart, germany. on certain days they have actors roaming around the gardens in period dress, and i just happened to be there on one of those days :) thanks a bunch for the nod, planty of great entries in here to chose from!

i am in paris at the moment, it is early tuesday morning here, will be returning home to germany today and will get out a new challenge when i can get off this iPad and on to a real computer - no later than tomorrow i am sure.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Linda,

Thanks for the HM. Gotta say you did a great job with picking the top three!

Kudos to all!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • zoomnzoomn Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Thanks for the HM! Congrats to all the winners and to everyone who participated. Great stuff here!
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Thank you for the HM Linda. I really liked this theme and loved what everyone was contributing.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Great choice, wonderful entries and... the winners photos are at superlative!

However, the first winner is the best possible!!

- Congratulations everybody!!!

clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Desert DaveDesert Dave Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    richtersl wrote: »

2nd Place - Deset Dave
    Holy cow! Great B&W conversion and use of wide angle. Seems to me you broke another rule -- with the short shadows it looks as though you took this around midday, as opposed to early morning or late afternoon -- and with terrific results. I can visualize a scene like this place as I’m traveling west during the Depression era.

Thanks for the second place, it means a bit more to me looking at the quality of the entries here! Cograts to everyone, and first place definately deserves it.

Yeah, I'm a rule breaker all right lol3.gif That was indeed middle of the day. There were a few other photographers there doing the same thing and we all felt fortunate to have the sky we did. The title "Especially the church" was a quote from Eastwoods High Plains Drifter, which was filmed not far from there. Always makes me feel like a cowboy out there.....but then I tend to romantasize things a bit.

On a side note I haven't posted here in years, but I'd like to get involved a little more. Seems like a good group of people here.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Thanks for the second place, it means a bit more to me looking at the quality of the entries here! Cograts to everyone, and first place definately deserves it.

Yeah, I'm a rule breaker all right lol3.gif That was indeed middle of the day. There were a few other photographers there doing the same thing and we all felt fortunate to have the sky we did. The title "Especially the church" was a quote from Eastwoods High Plains Drifter, which was filmed not far from there. Always makes me feel like a cowboy out there.....but then I tend to romantasize things a bit.

On a side note I haven't posted here in years, but I'd like to get involved a little more. Seems like a good group of people here.

Yes, this is a really nice bunch of people here.

Hope to see more work from you!