Options

Author - Head Shot

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited April 11, 2013 in People
For the back of the book.

Lighting set up, session, post work and selection: 30 mins. Just the way I like it!

Maybe should have side lit him a touch more, but he was pretty happy.

The antique D-100 still gets pretty good images.

i-6RKB9H2-L.jpg

i-sfJL9dq-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Like #2 the best, but wished his eyes got more light
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Ditto on the eye light and like the masculine lean. Neat.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    Lighting is excellent. #1 is a better pose for the back of a book. #2 looks like he's running for office. #1 is also warmer, which works well.

The eyes aren't a deal breaker and I personally would not have even noticed if it wasn't mentioned. It's a 10-second fix in post, but eye-brightening is tricky. I always err on the side of too little, so as not to make them look like one of the Avengers. Nothing you don't already know, I'm sure. If he's happy, it's a done deal. There's always something that you could have spent more time on.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    I prefer #1 as well - the pose and "twinkle" are engaging. Nice job, Bryce - you do have "classic portrait" down pat!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    Nice job Bryce. Really like #1.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2013
    Like #2 the best, but wished his eyes got more light

Thanks for the input. Didn't even notice the eyes.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Ditto on the eye light and like the masculine lean. Neat.

Coppin the scene with the masculine lean...
    jpc wrote: »
    Lighting is excellent. #1 is a better pose for the back of a book. #2 looks like he's running for office. #1 is also warmer, which works well.

The eyes aren't a deal breaker and I personally would not have even noticed if it wasn't mentioned. It's a 10-second fix in post, but eye-brightening is tricky. I always err on the side of too little, so as not to make them look like one of the Avengers. Nothing you don't already know, I'm sure. If he's happy, it's a done deal. There's always something that you could have spent more time on.

Thanks for the input! My favorite for back cover is one as well.
    divamum wrote: »
    I prefer #1 as well - the pose and "twinkle" are engaging. Nice job, Bryce - you do have "classic portrait" down pat!! thumb.gif

Why thank you your Divaness.
    Nice job Bryce. Really like #1.

Grassyass my friend.

Now, in an effort to please the critics, :D number one with an eye rework.

i-fNrBHvv-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2013
    Yup - definitely adds some more sparkle. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    Nice job Bryce. Its solid work as we have all come to expect out of you... But when I see pictures like these there is a part of me that dies a little. Inside I groan a bit and say "Dear God! Will the 70's never go away?" The unbuttoned shirt, the gold chain, the hairy chest - I mean really?... It has been fully 33 years since the last year of that accursed decade faded into the past. I think now that your lighting and posing is darn near perfect, you have to start fine tuning the wardrobe in your pre-shoot consultation. It would be one thing if this were a retro 1970's gimmicky type of image with bell bottoms and bandannas, but since its a head shot...I don't know, it feels a little bit like a cruise ship musician or bartender.

In the end I know its not really up to you as your client picks the clothes, but do what you can.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    Dreadnote, its cause your livin on the Left Coast Man!!!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    Bryce,

My only comment is that the skin tones look off to me? Too warm or towards the orange side?

Does anyone else see this or am I getting color blind?

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Nice job Bryce. Its solid work as we have all come to expect out of you... But when I see pictures like these there is a part of me that dies a little. Inside I groan a bit and say "Dear God! Will the 70's never go away?" The unbuttoned shirt, the gold chain, the hairy chest - I mean really?... It has been fully 33 years since the last year of that accursed decade faded into the past. I think now that your lighting and posing is darn near perfect, you have to start fine tuning the wardrobe in your pre-shoot consultation. It would be one thing if this were a retro 1970's gimmicky type of image with bell bottoms and bandannas, but since its a head shot...I don't know, it feels a little bit like a cruise ship musician or bartender.

In the end I know its not really up to you as your client picks the clothes, but do what you can.

Title of Book:

Disco: The Forgotten Era

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifDrolleyes1.gifrofl

Good thing I hid the gold Italian horn on the end of the chain or you would have really went off the deep end!
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    Sam wrote: »
    Bryce,

My only comment is that the skin tones look off to me? Too warm or towards the orange side?

Does anyone else see this or am I getting color blind?

Sam

You might be right here Sam, they may not be perfect.

I stopped worrying about "perfect" skin tones for digital display unless they are going to be used for that exclusively. And I do tend to err on the "Kodak Warm" side. I have three different monitors, calibrated, and none are exactly alike when it comes to skin tones.

If the image is such that the lab which does the printing, which adjusts for skin tones on people portraiture, is able to print it right, I've done my job in my mind.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »

I have to say I agree 100% (including your comments about Bryce's top-notch posing and lighting - the technicals are beyond solid thumb.gif). BUT.... Bryce and I have kicked this discussion around a few times and know that his taste leans to that "classic", "traditional" style. It's not what I shoot, and as a photographer I prefer a different kind of look, but I also know there is still a market for it, which begs a question I've asked in other contexts: are styles changes in photos driven by clients or photographers? I don't actually know the answer, but I do often wonder. Food for thought headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    I have to say I agree 100% (including your comments about Bryce's top-notch posing and lighting - the technicals are beyond solid thumb.gif). BUT.... Bryce and I have kicked this discussion around a few times and know that his taste leans to that "classic", "traditional" style. It's not what I shoot, and as a photographer I prefer a different kind of look, but I also know there is still a market for it, which begs a question I've asked in other contexts: are styles changes in photos driven by clients or photographers? I don't actually know the answer, but I do often wonder. Food for thought headscratch.gif

In seriousness, regarding not only this particular setting, but style changes, I think it should be client driven.

Take this individual for example. This is who he is and how he dresses. This wasn't wardrobe he picked out for a photo-shoot, it's how he presents himself every day. Would it be right to completely change his look for a portrait he is going to use to portray who he is?

As far as shoot styles, as with clothing styles, there are many. Me, I'm kind of a Brooks Brothers guy. Other guy's are Eddie Bauer types and yet others buy at Hollister and the Gap. It's up to the consumer to decide what they want to wear and where they are going to shop.

With photography, the consumer should pick one with a style that they are comfortable with. Older folks have an idea what "professional" portraiture should look like and it leans to the classic. If you provide them with a different look than that, they most likely won't be pleased. Younger folks have their own ideas and it leans more trendy. If you give them "classic" they won't be pleased.

Tweens and Teens, forget about it, I don't think I even want to try to make them happy!

Luckily, moms and dad's still pay for the senior product. Guess what? Most mom's and dad's still pick the classic looks over the trendy ones for the senior portraits.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    If they are paying for a session I'll do what they want. I always advise but you gotta go with what the client wants.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    Thanks, Bryce, for taking my comments in the spirit of discussion they were intended - you know I'm a HUGE admirer of your work and skill! I will say, too, that even though many of my opera clients tell me they want an airier "fresher", more actor-y style, they will often pick the more traditional "diva shot". I always try to offer both in a shoot (particularly since my own taste leans to the more "modern" style), but that doesn't mean they always choose it.... :D
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    I thought that this article might have some bearing on our discussion:

http://digital-photography-school.com/clothing-for-portraits-how-to-tell-your-subjects-what-to-wear

So, after looking at that article, which if I am not mistaken is common knowledge, best practice family portrait stuff, how would the suggestions there be different, if at all, from single subject portraiture?

So it follows that if it is reasonable to suggest muted colors to a person who is by nature more flamboyant for the sake of the portrait, or perhaps a longer shirt to a subject who's regular habit is the "muffin top", or long sleeves to those that never wear them, then wouldn't it make sense to suggest that a variety of shots be taken? Shirt buttoned, shirt unbuttoned? You get the idea.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2013
    The FAQ on my website has a bunch of info about clothing, and when they put down the deposit I give them another batch of info, as well as a "makeup for photographs" article which I wrote up to give those who don't want to use a pro makeup artist.

Main thing I stress about clothes is to BRING LOTS OF CHOICES. That alone has solved so many problems (I've certainly been caught short before when the client has brought something ghastly and I wind up "having" to work with it). But when they bring 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 changes (or combinations.... as long as they have ONE outfit I like, it doesn't matter if I do or don't use the others. I seldom use more than 3 (often only 1).

Where things get much more complicated is if one simply doesn't care for the client's "style", or if somehow that goes against the mood of the photographic. I've been pretty lucky - I have a very specific market, and few people come to me without having carefully gone through my blog/portfolio, so I think they have a good idea of what to expect (and, presumably, see themselves fitting into that style... which is why they chose me).

Lest this make me sound like Little Miss Goody Two Shoes who never has a problem - HA!! You've got be kidding. At the moment, one-shoulder, asymmetrical gowns with big foofy bows and zhuzzh on the shoulder make me crazy, and I'm not entirely crazy about sleeveless on 90% of women. As mentioned earlier this week, ill-fitting men's jackets are also a MAJOR pita (ugh, the photoshop work required to make them look good).

Good fodder for discussion, Dread - thanks for posting thumb.gif

ETA: Here's an article that was linked off the one you posted, Dread. Definitely worth a read :)http://digital-photography-school.com/what-clothes-should-subjects-wear-in-portrait-photography
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    Certainly agree with the above comments.

All I'd add is possibly a clone removal of the three white lint spots on the jacket.