Mini Challenge #160 Chairs - RESULTS

travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
edited April 15, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
I enjoyed some wonderful chair images in this challenge. It was really hard for me to decide which one to choose :)

I finally chose 10 that caught my eye most. Here they are:

Honorable mentions:

1. DsrtVW

I have to say that I like all your entries, for the great eye in observing details, textures and atmosphere - I feel like I'm there myself. I chose this one for the close-up and the story -

Tonapah Nevada

i-f46dMLT-L.jpg

2. DonRicklin

I really like your find in "Piano keys chair" great eye

IMGP3940-L.jpg

3. grandmaR

Your chair with the handwork is totally unique in this gallery

IMG_8088.JPG

4. TonyCooper

I like the contrast and perspective in this image

I PREFER TO STAND

2013-03-10-103-L.jpg

5. davev

This is really funny and creative

big%20chair-X2.jpg

6. Gatto

For some reason I always liked the chairs upside-down, especially these kind :) I really like the colors and the light on them and the perspective

7333522292_c931ce78b7_b.jpg

7. Midknightc3

What a great find, this distressed lonely chair in the middle of nowhere... wonderful depth of the field with the mountains in the background!

Solitude, Atacama Desert, Chile

i-Lw6rRSb-L.jpg

And the Winners are.... :scratch

Third winner: billseye

Wonderful composition, light /shadows and B&W processing!

Rocking Chair

Rocker-L.jpg

Second winner: superduckz

Gorgeous image of the empty lifeguard chair looking at the sun setting on the horizon - I like the light on it and the red color contrasting surrounding dark blue!

Beach Chair

p1359425972-4.jpg

First winner: richtersl

Although I always loved your first entry Linda, this image is really speaking to my heart. I like the serenity, composition and especially the way the light coming from the window is shinning on that very particular object which is the chair

Window Seat

IMG_7730_edited-1%20copy-L.jpg

Congratulations :clap:clap:clap

Linda, it's your turn now :)
Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
VegasGreatAttractions.com
Travelways.com

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Oh wow! What a nice surprise. Thank you. That one was a last minute switch for me.

Stay tuned, everyone. I will let you know shortly what the next Mini-Challenge theme will be. mwink.gif
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Congrats Linda!

I totally agree with the 3 winners.
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    I agree - three wonderful photos. And I am thrilled that one of mine made the HM category.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Wow! I just now saw this. A runner up finish! Thanks much! My best finish yet! And a very deserving winner. Very fun category. Thanks.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    Terrific choices! Kudos, Linda... I like your shot and your take on the new Mini!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    Congrats to the winner(s)...I can't believe I got mentioned :)
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    Kudos to the top three. And thank you for the mention.

Don

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2013

Grrrr! Why is it that I never can see any of the pics uploaded by travelways (i.e. neither any of her entries for the past MC I judged, no presumably the winning pics here for this chair challenge)?

I have no trouble viewing any of the many other pics posted by folks here (or anywhere on SM), but never hers. I've mentioned this before, but am still wondering what the problem might be.

Frustrating because - in the description of the winners, not only can't I see which images won honors, but - with not even the TITLES of the winning images mentioned, I can't even for example - wade back through all the entries to find WHICH of billseye's three images took 3rd place (i.e. the winning description only mentions that it's "B&W" and all three of his chair entries are b/w.)

Same for richtersl's winning entry - even going back to scroll through the entire entries thread, it turns out that richtersl has TWO entries that could meet the winning description of "...the light coming from the window is shinning on that very particular object which is the chair."

In short, I'm left with nothing to either applaud or learn from here. Can someone PLEASE address why - it seems ONLY travelways - linked images don't seem to ever show up in my browser.

I've tried not one, but THREE different browsers for this. I generally use Firefox, but also tried both IE and Chrome - NONE show any of the travelways images. ;(

But seriously. This problem takes much of the fun and learning experience out of these challenges.
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
    edited March 28, 2013
    I'm using Firefox and can see everyone's entries fine.

Have you tried clearing your recent history to see if that makes any difference? (Tools > Clear Recent History)

If you haven't done so already, you may want to post your question in the DGrin Support forum. They're pretty good about getting back to you with an answer. http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
    edited March 28, 2013
    richtersl wrote: »
    I'm using Firefox and can see everyone's entries fine.

Have you tried clearing your recent history to see if that makes any difference? (Tools > Clear Recent History)

If you haven't done so already, you may want to post your question in the DGrin Support forum. They're pretty good about getting back to you with an answer. http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Thanks richtersl, but I've tried that in all 3 browsers, with no luck. ;(

I seriously think it's something specific with travelways' website links as I think she opens/locks the pages that she links the pics to after a short time. Thus you may be seeing cached pics from when she first posted them(?)

The reason I believe this is 'cuz when I look through the page source of this thread - travelways.com links for all the winning pics are there, but... even cutting and pasting the url in a separate window in 3 browsers, I get a page not found. She also mentioned such (i.e. opening/locking pages on her site) back when I couldn't include any of her entries for the challenge I judged. At that time she said she'd change her settings so I could see them, but... sadly, that never happened and I had to judge the MC without any of her entries.

I could be wrong, but I guess I just don't understand why she wouldn't simply create a SmugMug gallery - just for her SmugMug challenge entries (and likewise use the original pic links posted by individual entrants rather than changing the source to her own SM account), and set the security/privacy to allow external links, and leave it at that. Sure, I have many/most of my SM galleries set to "no" external links for security purposes, but for my SM challenge entries, I have a separate gallery that remains open, so whatever I post here will always be available for viewing.

In short, it seems that it's a "timing" thing - you may well have viewed the winning images posted here in the RESULTS thread when she first posted them. But I'm not always able to come see the results of a challenge until a bit - sometimes several days/a week - later, and by then the travelways photo links are no longer available.

All conjecture on my part of course, and perhaps SM support might shed some light. But I've chatted with travelways about this before, and it would be great if she could shed some light on why the winning photos are linked to be viewed from her account (rather than simply copying/pasting thumbnails or whatever from the individual original challenge entry), and just what privacy/security settings she has that gallery set to.

That said, just to check my theory - could you please clear YOUR cache and then try linking to (for example) this link to one of the winning images that's in the page source here in the forum:

http://www.travelways.com/photos/i-tf6wDGM/0/L/i-tf6wDGM-L.png

Thanks for helping to get to the bottom of this digital mystery.
    TravelnLass.com
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Hi TravelnLass,

I actually did exactly what you said.

For some reason, I couldn't take the links directly from the gallery - I was able to do this before, but now it simply didn't work....

In order to save time (since I was so late with the results), I took snapshots of the selected images and uploaded them into a gallery created for this purpose. The gallery itself is unlisted (this doesn't bother the links), but the External links are ON and the Easy sharing is ON.

Sorry, but I don't know what else to do...

Does anybody else have the same problem?

Tatiana
    Thanks richtersl, but I've tried that in all 3 browsers, with no luck. ;(

I seriously think it's something specific with travelways' website links as I think she opens/locks the pages that she links the pics to after a short time. Thus you may be seeing cached pics from when she first posted them(?)

The reason I believe this is 'cuz when I look through the page source of this thread - travelways.com links for all the winning pics are there, but... even cutting and pasting the url in a separate window in 3 browsers, I get a page not found. She also mentioned such (i.e. opening/locking pages on her site) back when I couldn't include any of her entries for the challenge I judged. At that time she said she'd change her settings so I could see them, but... sadly, that never happened and I had to judge the MC without any of her entries.

I could be wrong, but I guess I just don't understand why she wouldn't simply create a SmugMug gallery - just for her SmugMug challenge entries (and likewise use the original pic links posted by individual entrants rather than changing the source to her own SM account), and set the security/privacy to allow external links, and leave it at that. Sure, I have many/most of my SM galleries set to "no" external links for security purposes, but for my SM challenge entries, I have a separate gallery that remains open, so whatever I post here will always be available for viewing.

In short, it seems that it's a "timing" thing - you may well have viewed the winning images posted here in the RESULTS thread when she first posted them. But I'm not always able to come see the results of a challenge until a bit - sometimes several days/a week - later, and by then the travelways photo links are no longer available.

All conjecture on my part of course, and perhaps SM support might shed some light. But I've chatted with travelways about this before, and it would be great if she could shed some light on why the winning photos are linked to be viewed from her account (rather than simply copying/pasting thumbnails or whatever from the individual original challenge entry), and just what privacy/security settings she has that gallery set to.

That said, just to check my theory - could you please clear YOUR cache and then try linking to (for example) this link to one of the winning images that's in the page source here in the forum:

http://www.travelways.com/photos/i-tf6wDGM/0/L/i-tf6wDGM-L.png

Thanks for helping to get to the bottom of this digital mystery.
    Travelways.com
    edited March 29, 2013
    Hi TravelnLass,

I clicked on the link you had in your post and it went straight to the image.

Another thought just came to mind: could it be an issue with your ISP? I have a friend who lives in Laos and he occasionally has some weird internet issues similar to yours where he can't access a certain link I send him.
  • Carolina_BlueCarolina_Blue Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    I've had that same experience in another forum. If you are using Firefox like me and you have Add Ons, click on Help and then Restart with Add Ons Disabled. It did it for me. Hope it works for you and let us know.
    <begin rant="">

Grrrr! Why is it that I never can see any of the pics uploaded by travelways (i.e. neither any of her entries for the past MC I judged, no presumably the winning pics here for this chair challenge)?

I have no trouble viewing any of the many other pics posted by folks here (or anywhere on SM), but never hers. I've mentioned this before, but am still wondering what the problem might be.

Frustrating because - in the description of the winners, not only can't I see which images won honors, but - with not even the TITLES of the winning images mentioned, I can't even for example - wade back through all the entries to find WHICH of billseye's three images took 3rd place (i.e. the winning description only mentions that it's "B&W" and all three of his chair entries are b/w.)

Same for richtersl's winning entry - even going back to scroll through the entire entries thread, it turns out that richtersl has TWO entries that could meet the winning description of "...the light coming from the window is shinning on that very particular object which is the chair."

In short, I'm left with nothing to either applaud or learn from here. Can someone PLEASE address why - it seems ONLY travelways - linked images don't seem to ever show up in my browser.

I've tried not one, but THREE different browsers for this. I generally use Firefox, but also tried both IE and Chrome - NONE show any of the travelways images. ;(

<end of="" rant="">

But seriously. This problem takes much of the fun and learning experience out of these challenges.

</end></begin>
    edited April 7, 2013
    Sorry All, but I've been out of town (and had a little, uh, run-in with a shiny red motorbike whilst on the back of a xe om (motorbike taxi) in Nha Trang.

I still haven't a clue why I have trouble with only travelways (apparently her entire site, not just the .jpg links). I tried IE and it's the same thing (so it's not my FireFox ad ons which I'm not too keen on disabling anyway.)

I don't have any trouble with the usual gubberment suspects (i.e. facebook, twitter, etc.) nor any other sites/links at all. So it would be very strange were it somehow an ISP issue.

Sorry to be such a bother, but it's just a mystery why I can never see pics posted from travelways.com
    TravelnLass.com
    edited April 13, 2013
    Just happened to drop in here again just now and... though I still can't seem to access Tatiana's www.travelways.com site (nor any pics linked to it), I can now view the winning pics here - looks like they're now posted with the original links of each entry - thanks Tatiana!

I'm still baffled by why travelways.com would be somehow blocked here. It's the same on different browsers, as well as - I can't get it on my iPhone either. Her site does come up when I Google for it, but the link perpetually doesn't work. Curiously, there is a www.travelways.com.au and a www.travelways.com.sg that I can access just fine. I give up, just so very strange that would be the one and only site I'm not able to acces.
    TravelnLass.com
    edited April 13, 2013
    Just happened to drop in here again just now and... though I still can't seem to access Tatiana's www.travelways.com site (nor any pics linked to it), I can now view the winning pics here - looks like they're now posted with the original links of each entry - thanks Tatiana!

I'm still baffled by why travelways.com would be somehow blocked here. It's the same on different browsers, as well as - I can't get it on my iPhone either. Her site does come up when I Google for it, but the link perpetually doesn't work. Curiously, there is a www.travelways.com.au and a www.travelways.com.sg that I can access just fine. I give up, just so very strange that would be the one and only site I'm not able to acces.

Hi TravelnLass,

I'm not sure why you cannot access my travelways.com site...

- Does anybodyelse here have the same difficulty, please?

If this is a problem for other people as well, I will have to contact the SmugMug administration... headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited April 13, 2013
    No problem for me
    edited April 13, 2013
    travelways wrote: »
    Hi TravelnLass,
    - Does anybodyelse here have the same difficulty, please?
    If this is a problem for other people as well, I will have to contact the SmugMug administration... headscratch.gif

No Tatiana, from earlier discussions here, I believe no one else has this peculiar problem with your site. As I said it's just baffling because your site (and links to it) are the only sites I can't access on the internet.
    TravelnLass.com
    edited April 14, 2013
    No Tatiana, from earlier discussions here, I believe no one else has this peculiar problem with your site. As I said it's just baffling because your site (and links to it) are the only sites I can't access on the internet.

Unfortunately it looks like there's nothing I can do... I'm sorry for you.

Thank you grandmaR

Best,
    Travelways.com
    edited April 14, 2013
    I have occasionally stayed in a hotel where they blocked certain sites (like myspace, facebook and virtualtourist) because they felt that they weren't 'family-friendly' sites. Maybe the blockage is from your ISP (?)
    edited April 14, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I have occasionally stayed in a hotel where they blocked certain sites (like myspace, facebook and virtualtourist) because they felt that they weren't 'family-friendly' sites. Maybe the blockage is from your ISP (?)

I'm not sure grandmaR. I'm not in a hotel, but have my own apartment with wifi for the building so don't know who the provider is (nor would it be easy to find out given that I don't speak fluent Vietnamese). But again, just strange as there wouldn't seem anything "unfriendly" about travelways.com site, so I can't imagine why that one and only site would be blocked by my ISP.

It's a mystery, but I've given up trying to figure it out. But thanks for the suggestion.
    TravelnLass.com
    edited April 15, 2013
    I don't know how grandmaR came with the idea that my site may fall under the "non family friendly" websites category.

I want to state very clearly that my travelways.com site is totally, absolutely, 100% FAMILY FRIENDLY
    and I don't want ANYBODY to doubt this.

Please no further comments on this subject! - Thanks.
    grandmaR wrote: »
    Travelways.com
    edited April 15, 2013
    i agree Tatiana (enough said already). I appreciate folks trying to help, but at this point I think we've exhausted most all the possibilities and it must simply remain an unsolved mystery. If I ever track down what/why my system has this peculiar problem, I'll let all of you know. Thanks for trying to help!

That said, I'm sure that GrandmaR wasn't implying anything untoward about your site Tatiana - it's just that often in foreign countries, governments place nonsensical restrictions. As I live in communist Vietnam, that may be the case here.
    TravelnLass.com