Options

Need Laptop for Workshop... ideas?

PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited April 14, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
I am taking a 5-day Yosemite workshop this summer combined with some personal photo excursions, and I am in need of a laptop for the trip.

BorrowLenses.com will rent me a MBP, but it will cost me around $500 for 10 days I will need it and that seems a bit hard to justify.

I have LR and CS5 (for Mac), or I could run Adobe's demos for 30-days, so I don't necessarily need the software pre-installed.

I've thought about picking up a used 11" MacBook Air and external HDD, but I am not sure if that will be adequate for photo editing.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2013
    A MB Air with 4gb Ram will be totally fine for field editing in PS or LR. Enjoy.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    A MB Air with 4gb Ram will be totally fine for field editing in PS or LR. Enjoy.

Thanks Andy!
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2013
    Keep an eye on Dell outlet, last year I got a inspiron 15 inch laptop with i7-2670QM CPU, 8 GB of RAM, GT325m graphics, that I got for just over 400. The downside is the monitor is just 720p, and the hard drive is a pain to replace (it's 5,400 RPM) but for that price I'm not going to complain much.

They had a similar set up just with higher specs a few months back and run the sales periodically.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2013
    Dell... Is that one of them Windows PCs?

Kidding aside, that's a good deal but most all my software is for the Mac.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2013
    If you switch to Adobe Creative Cloud you can have both Mac and PC versions installed... Creative Cloud let's make two installations of each product. Depending on how often you upgrade your owned versions of LR, Photoshop and any other Adobe products, the pricing can be in the same range as owned products.

Just a option to think about.
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    Dell... Is that one of them Windows PCs?

Kidding aside, that's a good deal but most all my software is for the Mac.