recently contacted

fullthrottlefullthrottle Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited April 16, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
Not sure if this is the right section for this (if not sorry), I was contacted today by someone about a chance at some work for our towns Chamber of Commerce. From what i gathered from the phone call it is for head shots of the members. Now i have packages set up for family portraits and seniors and what not but i have never been asked for head shots. So i was wondering what is a reasonable amount one would charge for such a thing (if they ask)?? would you price it per head? or as a whole?? Now keeping in mind i do not have the contract for it, nor do i know anything more then that they are looking for a photographer. Any help, and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2013
    I think you are jumping the gun and frankly I don't see the point of asking the question till you have more information.
    There is a better than even chance they are going to want you to shoot for nothing. Until you actually ask some questions and pin down what they want and what their budget is, you are flying blind.

Furthermore, the only person that can come up with a price is you. I'm pretty sure if I told you what I would charge for this you'd change it anyway with some excuse of you aren't experienced or don't have xxx equipment or things are different in your area etc so it's pointless for anyone but you to decide what you want to for your efforts. At this stage, you don't even know what they want be it Digital images, prints, what the useage is or anything else.

In the end you will ( or at least should) come up with a number you are happy with so go with that to start..... if they actually are prepared to pay you at all.

Get back to them and ask ALL the questions so you know everything you need to. If you don't know what to ask, then you are not ready to work professionally so just pass on this job and brush up on business skills till you know what to ask and what YOU want to charge.
  • fullthrottlefullthrottle Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2013
    Yes I know i am jumping the gun, for who knows i may not even get the job. No i do not know their budget, in which case as you stated it may not be anything. And you are right, you could give me a price in which "you" would charge and yes i would change the price due to the area in which i live. Anyone would, I wouldn't charge the same amount say someone in New york would charge as they can get away with a higher price. But i would not use the excuse, lack of experience or equipment as a justification to change the price. I have experience in shooting and i have all the gear i would need.

So ok lets take the pricing out of the equation, seeing as it feels i have hit a sore spot. Do you charge per head or as a group??
  • AlliOOPAlliOOP Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2013
    So ok lets take the pricing out of the equation, seeing as it feels i have hit a sore spot. Do you charge per head or as a group??

Ultimately, it is all about negotiation. You can do either depending on what benefits you and the client. I'd start by finding out what the client has in mind like number of photos, what they are going to do with the photos, what they are willing to sit for, etc. and then fill in the blanks with price, group vs individual, the budget they have (if they have no budget it is a non-starter), and the other fine details. There are no fast and hard rules to go by -- only opportunities to explore.
  • fullthrottlefullthrottle Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    I thank you for your input but after talking to the Chamber of commerce i found we were on totally different levels. I gave him a price on which i thought was fair for the amount of work they needed as well as the amount of people needing the photos but found out their budget was far to low.