Canon 5D3 & 1DX Slow Focus Aquisition with Speedlite

CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited May 1, 2013 in Cameras
From Canon USA Product Advisories for Canon 5D Mark III and 1D X:

Affected Products
EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera

Details
Depending upon the shooting conditions, it may take slightly longer for the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS-1D X digital SLR cameras to acquire focus when using the Speedlite's AF Assist Beam, compared with that of the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS-1D Mark IV digital SLR cameras using the Speedlite's AF Assist Beam.

We are developing a solution to enhance the focusing feature for the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS-1D X and plan to release a firmware update based on following estimated schedule:

EOS 5D Mark III: (estimated) Late April, 2013
EOS-1D X: (estimated) Late May, 2013

Support
This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

I'm glad that this problem will be fixed soon.

Cuong
"She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited February 21, 2013
    Good to know. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited February 21, 2013
    I'm wondering if the much talked about f/8 autofocus and red blinky fix will be part of this update as well, as Canon themselves mentioned the same time period for a fix.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2013
    Cuong wrote: »
    From Canon USA Product Advisories for Canon 5D Mark III and 1D X:

Affected Products
    EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
    EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera

Details
    Depending upon the shooting conditions, it may take slightly longer for the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS-1D X digital SLR cameras to acquire focus when using the Speedlite's AF Assist Beam, compared with that of the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS-1D Mark IV digital SLR cameras using the Speedlite's AF Assist Beam.

We are developing a solution to enhance the focusing feature for the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS-1D X and plan to release a firmware update based on following estimated schedule:

EOS 5D Mark III: (estimated) Late April, 2013
    EOS-1D X: (estimated) Late May, 2013

Support
    This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

I'm glad that this problem will be fixed soon.

Cuong

haven't heard about this
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    When I got this email the other day (guess because I'm a CPS member) it made me realize the one wedding I assisted on, it wasn't me, it was the equipment. In a VERY dark reception hall it was taking forever even with the 580EXII firing it's pattern to lock focus and by then, the shot was gone or out of focus because of movement.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the much talked about f/8 autofocus and red blinky fix will be part of this update as well, as Canon themselves mentioned the same time period for a fix.

Fix will be April 30, 2013.
    http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/04/eos-5d-mark-iii-firmware-coming-april-30-2013/
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2013
    Firmware 1.2.1 for Canon 5D Mark III is now available. Auto focus with the Speedlite's AF assist beam is nearly instantaneous with this firmware upgrade.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2013
    Cuong wrote: »
    Firmware 1.2.1 for Canon 5D Mark III is now available.

Cuong

Just installed. Fixes a lot, and then some. I don't shoot video, so I can't speak to that side of the update, nor have I mounted my 580EXII on the cam yet. But I can AF at f/8 with my 400 5.6 and 1.4x Canon TC Mk. II. And at night. And with confo beep. And with red blinkies in both One Shot and AI Focus modes. That shouldn't be possible. But it is. I am a happy camper today.

EDIT: I am not a happy camper. DPP no longer functions as an editor with 1.2.1. I have another thread about this issue in this Camera forum.
    My Smugmug