Options

Found a new method for doing Landscape HDRs

jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited April 24, 2013 in Landscapes
So, I was messing around with photoshop and lightroom and I came up with a new way to do HDRs for landscapes.

I used the following two shots.

8674563884_fae3fff0dd_z.jpg
Overexposed Sky by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

8673460821_a015f814ba_z.jpg
Underexposed Land by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

I right clicked on them in Lightroom and did the normal Edit.. Merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop.

Then, instead of doing tone mapping in Photoshop, I simply chose the 32-bit option.

Screen%20Shot%202013-04-22%20at%2011.28.09%20PM.png

Then, saved the file and it sent me back to lightroom. At this point, the sky still looked WAY overexposed, so I just used Lightroom's Graduated Filter with the exposure slider to darken the Sky, and TADA, it pulls down the sky and because it's a 32-bit file with tons of dynamic range, I get the original Sky from the photo where the sky was exposed properly with the land that was exposed properly. Then I did my usual lightroom adjustments to make the photo pop.

The result, is something that looks very natural almost as though I used a REAL neutral density filter.

I've done this before by using layers and layer masks in photoshop, but this method was way easier and I think the results look really good.

I hope this helps others use this technique :D

8673452145_dd6043fb5e_b.jpg
Sunset Point Mt Nebo State Park by jdorseydesign, on Flickr
J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2013
    Thanks for posting your tutorial. It would be interesting if you could post a link to the original files and let people play with them to see how other methods stack up to what you discovered.

Sam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 24, 2013
    Nice results, J! Thank you for sharing your discovery. thumb.gif
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    Nice find! I love 32-bit. I haven't tonemapped in 6 months. I use Photomatix. Here is a great tutorial.

http://www.wheretowillie.com/photography-tutorials/32-bit-hdr-tutorial/

Michael
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    This looks terrific to me, and much more natural than some HDR photos. Thanks for sharing. Best, Pam
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    I had too many issues with photomatix, especially with halos. I went to Nik HDR Pro 2 (sorry, should be Google Nik now) Best $99 I've ever spent considering I own all of the plugins now thanks to googles takeover of Nik, if you bought it recently you get them all!

But, as I said, I had issued with bad halo's around trees with photomatix. I did have a similar issue with Nik the other day but figured it out myself (while on the phone with support that is, but still found it myself. D'oh) That if you use a different reference image for the "reduce movement" it can have a huge impact on if you get/don't get halo's. I was pissed because it was the first time I saw halo's in Nik, couldn't seem to find anything to change other than completely turning off the "reduce movement" until I called support and noticed the "reference image" at top for movement. Clicked a different one and it worked like a champ.

That being said, I'm not doing a hell of a lot of landscapes lately. More urbanscapes where this technique would be difficult to pull off due to no clear horizon.

p1556876654-4.jpg

As you can see, the poles sticking into the dark sky still have some artifacting going on around them, but not nearly as bad as when I had a different reference image.