Mini-Challenge #163 - Sense of Place

fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited May 5, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Mini-Challenge #163!

The theme of this challenge will be Sense of Place.

This is a theme I really like and try to accomplish but am not always successful. Essentially I am looking for images that really evoke a sense of where the picture was taken. It should draw the viewer into the image such that the place can be felt, like you could really picture yourself right there in the picture.

It is not always easy and I don't think there is any one way to accomplish this. A combination of angles / perspective, layers of lighting or motion can all contribute to this. Very challenging for SOOC, but consistent with the rules post processing is allowed.

In keeping with the last challenge we will keep this to about a week and a half. So, this challenge starts now and WILL CLOSE AT 9:00 PM (Pacific Time), May 3rd, 2013.

*** Fresh photos are welcome. If you haven't thought about this subject before, please feel free and take some photos during the challenge period.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

I was inspired last year when National Geographic included this category in the 2012 contest. Here is a link to some of the editors pics:
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/traveler-magazine/photo-contest/2012/entries/gallery/sense-of-place-week-14/#/0

Some other much less impressive examples:
i-QxQJbKJ-M.jpg
i-7NFbmQJ-M.jpg
i-gwnj9Xh-M.jpg
i-gZMh3ns-M.jpg
i-4J4z9JD-M.jpg
i-r54TtQH-M.jpg

I like this theme and l am looking forward to learning how others achieve this composition.

Good Luck!!

Jim

Comments

• superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2013
    Hmm... very interesting challenge. I like the Nat Geo stuff a lot. I "think" I get it. How's this for a start? Will update later..

p1445198792-5.jpg

p1331425330-5.jpg

One more for fun.
    p1554076472-5.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2013
    Superduckz, i think your post is consistent with the theme. I agree this can be a challenge and I hope I described it well enough to be understood.

The first image give me a sense of isolation, being alone in a wide open space. Along with the darker edges with the softening of the area around the subject works well.

The second one makes good use of the perspective. As if I could put my hands down on the rails to help peer over the hill.

This is also a good example of how both shallow deep DOF can work.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    1. Winter Trees

i-4bQCNNp-M.jpg

2. Temperence River

i-RzXTG3h-M.jpg

3. Oregon Coast

i-LkfLwkF-M.jpg
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • GrayPlayerGrayPlayer Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    Meandering.
    Alaska #1
  • GrayPlayerGrayPlayer Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    Vista
    Alaska #2
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    OK Jim - great theme - here are a few...

1. black forest waterfall
    IMG_7605-XL.jpg

2. the river seine
    IMG_9560%20-2-XL.jpg

3. the trail through paklenica
    IMG_8729_Localtone%20%282%29-XL.jpg
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    4109-000001330016%25209-21-2011%252011-51-38%2520AM.jpg
    Arizona - 1966

2358854-Looking_up_from_below-United_States_of_America.jpg
    Lighthouse

100_1431.JPG

Alaska
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    kentwaller wrote: »
    OK Jim - great theme - here are a few...

1. black forest waterfall

That's my favorite waterfall in the area!
    Hiked there last summer and will go back when the weather allows it!

Personally I am down to 11 photos. The problem is that I am not objective. When I look at the picture I remember the feeling of being there even if the photo does not give you that sense. So it is difficult to separate both. Do you have the same problem?
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    Balboa Park
    i-Xn3srCP-XL.jpg

Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery
    i-QsrF9X5-XL.jpg

Windansea Beach
    i-XbhwHZ2-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2013
    #1 - Luray Caverns
    LurayP4100076-XL.jpg

#2 - Folly Beach, SC
    FollyP4150112-L.jpg

#3 - Folly Beach, SC
    FollyP4150115-L.jpg
    edited April 26, 2013
    Here are my entries for the moment.
    However thanks for the theme. Made me think a lot and hopefully it will help me during my week in Jordan starting next saturday, and especially Petra!

1. I hope you removed your shoes
    IMG_5250%20-%20Version%203-L.jpg

2. Me, a bird and the road
    Alone%20on%20the%20road%20-%20Version%202-L.jpg

3. Let's not disturb nature
    P1090068%20-%20Version%202-L.jpg

I hope you'll get the feeling I got when I was in all those places, because that was pretty amazing.

Claire

edited April 26, 2013
    That's my favorite waterfall in the area!
    Hiked there last summer and will go back when the weather allows it!

Personally I am down to 11 photos. The problem is that I am not objective. When I look at the picture I remember the feeling of being there even if the photo does not give you that sense. So it is difficult to separate both. Do you have the same problem?

Great place - went there a second time about a month ago, actually was not bad at all - glaswaldsee still had lots of snow though.
    edited April 26, 2013
    Great place - went there a second time about a month ago, actually was not bad at all - glaswaldsee still had lots of snow though.

Oh I thought it was lower than where I live so you would have less snow. But it is probably more isolated.

By the way I love your photo paklenica. I can feel the sun on my face and tired at the idea of crossing that canyon but at the same time eager to see what comes next. Great shot!

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2013
    I especially like Kate's Oregon Coast and Claire's Me the bird and the road. I was not sure whether to say where the photo was taken or if we should just leave the photo to speak for itself. (Of course sometimes it is obvious)

I think our photos are all our babies and objectivity is difficult. I also find that reading what other people have to say about a photo, even when I disagree, helps me to be more objective. So if it helps I try to distance myself from me the photographer and think about what I would say about my photo if I were a judge. I pick all the ones I think might 'do' for a challenge and then discard any that I have doubts about. Is there too much unrelated stuff in the foreground? Is the photo too small? Is it out of focus when that's not germaine to the challenge? has some object that should be shown as a whole been cut off out of the frame? That kind of thing. Then I check to see what I have left.

When looking at other people's photos there are just some techniques that I can't like. But that is a personal preference of mine, so I try not to say that I just don't like something.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited April 27, 2013
    Wow, I am seeing some really good images. I see some perspectives and great use of light and angles that really draw me into the image. It would be tough to judge just with the pictures here already. And we have another week to go. Great work to everyone!!

Jim
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2013
    These might be slightly off the theme target, I'm not sure, but decided to put a couple of fairly recent shots in anyway.

1) The Vallee Blanche Glacier
    IMG_5549-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

2) Serengeti Storm
    IMG_0635-XL.jpg

3) Pausing for Photos
    IMG_5609-XL.jpg

Nice shots everyone.

Alan.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2013
    San Xavier Mission, Tucson, AZ
    06.01-San-Xavier-%28RAW%29---159-L.jpg

Mono Lake, CA
    _MG_0121_HDR-Edit-L.jpg

Owens Lake, CA
    Sense%20of%20Place-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2013
    Here are my entries.
    #1 Cave, Lake Rotoma (Bay of Plenty, NZ).

F201005220124LakeRotomaCave-XL.jpg

Only access is by boat (or kayak, as in my case). Would like to take some similar shots, but last time visited the lake the level had come back up and the cave was under water. Have not been over since this dry summer had, to see if lake level decreased and cave now accessable again.

#2 Sunset, Ahipara (Ninety Mile Beach, Northland, NZ)

C20080721123-2374AhiparaSunsetPeople-XL.jpg
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2013
    Wonderful theme and thank you for the link to the National Geographic.

Here is my contribution (for an XL version click on the photos)

1. Lake Atitlán, Guatemala

Lake Atitlán, Guatemala

2. Newfoundland, Canada

Newfoundland quilts

3. Panama City by taxi, Panama

Panama City by taxi
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2013

2. Newfoundland, Canada

newfoundland-quilts-4-L.jpg

I love this!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2013
    Thank you Kate :)
    kdotaylor wrote: »

2. Newfoundland, Canada

I love this!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 3, 2013
    1. Piha Beach (New Zealand, near where The Pianist was filmed)
    i-pRjh8X7-L.jpg

2. Navigating Milford Sound (New Zealand
    i-gpHPGBc-L.jpg

3. Looking for Dinner in Chinese Fishing Net (Cochin, India)
    i-NPnBW8t-L.jpg
    edited May 4, 2013
    Hi everyone. Thanks for all the great images. The challenge is now closed. I will have the results in the next day or so.

Jim
    edited May 4, 2013
    2. Navigating Milford Sound (New Zealand
    i-gpHPGBc-L.jpg

this is awesome Gretchen!
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 5, 2013
    2. Navigating Milford Sound (New Zealand)

this is awesome Gretchen!

Thank you! The weather kept changing as we made our way through the sound - the wind almost blowing a Canon 7D out of my hands at times - but that was all part of the experience.