Options

G lax

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited April 25, 2013 in Sports
Finally got out to a game. Kind of a gray day. Dark, but no shadows. Here's a couple that I got...

IMG_1146a-XL.jpg

IMG_1062a-XL.jpg

IMG_1136a-XL.jpg

IMG_1181a-XL.jpg

IMG_1167a-XL.jpg
Regards

Will

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    I think I like the intensity in #1 and #2 the most. Really good crop choice in #1, emphasising the frenetic action in close.
    I like #2 because of the implied sense of power, speed and the anticipation of the run or pass. I like her expression.
    Nothing wrong with #3 ... but it lacks the energy that is evident in #2.
    If it were me (and its not!), then in #4 I would crop half the space between the left hand side and the lacrosse head. There are also three bright yellow circles along the bottom edge which I find distracting (others may not). I would look at cropping them out. I often agonize over whether to show a little bit of leg skin at the bottom of a uniform or crop it out. It's not a problem if there is a fair chunk of a players leg but when there is just a little bit I wonder if it is better to leave it or crop it. I would be keen to hear your take on it.
    #5 is all about the intensity of the player's look - and the near eye is so clear. I think your crop here is perfect ... but I also think there may be another crop that could be as equally pleasing. (and you may already have it). That is one that focuses on the player's face. Crop from just below her top hand to remove bottom half. Maybe have a look and see if you can get two interpretations out of the one image.
    Thanks for sharing. LAX is so fast ... not the easiest sport to catch. You have a terrific set here.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2013
    Wow, Will. #1 is killer. Way to go. thumb.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2013
    John: Thanks!
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    I think I like the intensity in #1 and #2 the most. Really good crop choice in #1, emphasising the frenetic action in close. ...

Which I could say I really thought about that crop, but actually it is pretty close to out of the camera... It was my favorite of the day too. I really liked the hair flying around..
    If it were me (and its not!), then in #4 I would crop half the space between the left hand side and the lacrosse head. There are also three bright yellow circles along the bottom edge which I find distracting (others may not). I would look at cropping them out. I often agonize over whether to show a little bit of leg skin at the bottom of a uniform or crop it out. It's not a problem if there is a fair chunk of a players leg but when there is just a little bit I wonder if it is better to leave it or crop it. I would be keen to hear your take on it.
    I think that is pretty close to straight out of the camera too. (Always a little unsharp mask...) I did think a little about cropping, but just decided to leave it. I think my preference is to leave the leg showing, but I'm not certain and could go either way. You're right about the yellow dots. I didn't notice them as I was going through as many other shots had much worse backgrounds. There were cars parked near the field, and I tried to get where I thought most action would be at a good angle, but here is one that didn't work out so well...

IMG_1053a-L.jpg
    #5 is all about the intensity of the player's look - and the near eye is so clear. I think your crop here is perfect ... but I also think there may be another crop that could be as equally pleasing. (and you may already have it). That is one that focuses on the player's face. Crop from just below her top hand to remove bottom half. Maybe have a look and see if you can get two interpretations out of the one image.

Good idea, I try it. I'm generally reluctant to crop too tight, simply because my old 30D doesn't have that many pixels to begin with, compared to the current line of cameras. Also, I've been partial to more panoramic type crops (think Facebook "cover' photo at the top of the page.) I don't think they are as popular of a crop with most people on this board. Here's a couple-- your thoughts?

IMG_1060a-XL.jpg

IMG_1131a-XL.jpg

IMG_1035a-XL.jpg
    Regards

Will
    edited April 8, 2013
    Concerning Post #4:
    Thanks for indulging my cropping options. I think you are right - including the top of the leg works better here.
    I like the close crops you posted - I think it emphasises the intensity of the players. But that's not to say it is the best interpretation - just another alternative.
    In the third photo, the most prominent part of the photo is the back of the girl in the white uniform. You almost see the other girl's face as a secondary item. To shift the focus of the viewer to that girl, I would crop in closer and partially cut off the white uniformed girl on the left - this is a clear indication that she is not the focus of the photo. But that is just my opinion - goodness knows that has been wrong so many times in my lifetime!!!
    Really like the last photo. Good timing here with the ball in mid-air, shooter off the ground and defenders moving in from both sides. I would crop out the girl on the far right - she doesn't add to the scene and it would stop my eye from wandering out of the real action going on with the shooter.
    Thanks for sharing - enjoyed your photos and your thinking into your decisions. thumb.gif
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    fitzfotosfitzfotos Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2013
    You are amazing .. what lens are you using . clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2013
    fitzfotos wrote: »
    You are amazing .. what lens are you using . clap.gif

Thanks. Just using an old, beat up Sigma 50-500.
    Regards

Will