Options

Used Canon Recommendation

knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited May 6, 2013 in Cameras
A co-worker has asked my advice on which of the lower end Canon DSLRs would be good for him to look at. He is thinking about something 2 - 3 years old. I shoot with Nikon and have no idea which Canons he should be looking at. He wants something for shooting a fast moving kid and taking with him on hikes with said kid. Are there any lenses he should beware of?

I would appreciate your help in making a recommendation to him.

Knapp

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited April 26, 2013
    The very lowest used body that I recommend is a Canon 40D. It has a decent AF system (the same AF system appears to have been carried forward to the 50D and current 60D bodies) and a shutter capable of flash sync at 1/250th (better than the entry-level dRebels). I see 40D bodies selling at KEH.com for $340USD in EX+ condition, which should be lightly used. Make sure to choose a copy which includes a battery and charger.

Understand that in the Canon world all lenses have an AF motor in the lens body. However, not all AF motors are created equally, and for a fast-moving child I recommend a lens with a ring-type ultrasonic AF motor technology. Unfortunately, these lenses are not cheap.

A very nice standard zoom lens is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM. I have this lens and it is capable of action photography, including active children. I don't see any used copies at KEH now, but expect to pay around $1000(ish).

I strongly recommend use of a flash and flash-modifier for best results, especially indoors but a flash will help for many outdoor opportunities as well. Here the lowest recommendation I make is the Sigma DG Super flashes, and either a Sigma EF 530 DG Super or Sigma EF 610 DG Super in Canon E-TTL II should be fine. Expect to pay around $200 for a used 530 and around $225* for a used 610.

A flash like this is important indoors for several reasons:
    1) It has an AF-Assist light which greatly improves indoor AF acquisition speed and AF accuracy.
    2) It provides light to allow lower ISOs and shorter shutter speeds.
    3) Used with the above modifiers, and when they are used correctly, the light and resulting shadows are generally much more visually desirable.

For flash modifiers I can recommend a DIY "scoop" modifier which will cost around $3 each and take around 15 minutes or less to cut and assemble.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

Another useful device is a DIY "bounce card". These work best when you have a suitable white or very light neutral ceiling or wall to use as the primary reflective surface, and the bounce card as fill.

http://youtu.be/RNCmuExlHvM

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

If you follow the above advice you can expect fairly consistent results with a high keeper rate. All of the following used a similar configuration (although not necessarily these exact components) and all are active children in a dynamic situation:

i-Dv6QHjf.jpg

i-4sSnKRW.jpg

i-HVB6tvZ.jpg

i-2NZLw55-X2.jpg

*(Edit: I see that both B&H and Adorama have brand "new" Sigma EF 610 DG Super flashes for $225USD, after an instant rebate.

Adorama also includes batteries and charger with free shipping for the same $225:
    http://www.adorama.com/SG610EOSA.html

I think that B&H also has a free shipping option:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741717-REG/Sigma_189101_EF610_DG_Super_Flash.html)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2013
    Thanks
    Thanks Ziggy - This is a great help.

Knapp
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2013
    Man, for that price the Sigma 610 looks like a steal, but no external power for it kills the deal for me. Always looking to add more flashes to my arsenal for sports...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited April 28, 2013
    Man, for that price the Sigma 610 looks like a steal, but no external power for it kills the deal for me. Always looking to add more flashes to my arsenal for sports...

Right, these are not designed for a sports application. Still, they are great for family and event shooting, including weddings. The E-TTL II is very capable and compatible with Canon equipment (as long as you get the proper flash model, of course).

For sports I would consider 2 - Canon 580 EX (original) flashes plus an external high-voltage pack for each, plus a PocketWizard MultiMAX setup with sequential triggering. Heavy, but fast.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Right, these are not designed for a sports application. Still, they are great for family and event shooting, including weddings. The E-TTL II is very capable and compatible with Canon equipment (as long as you get the proper flash model, of course).

For sports I would consider 2 - Canon 580 EX (original) flashes plus an external high-voltage pack for each, plus a PocketWizard MultiMAX setup with sequential triggering. Heavy, but fast.

Yeah, I just looked 580EX are now down to about 250-275 at KEH.

I have a multimax for a trigger but will use the PW3 for receivers. Already have 3-580II's and 1-580, but I'm thinking of doing both sides of the court next year which means, lots of battery packs and lots of receivers!
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    knapph wrote: »
    A co-worker has asked my advice on which of the lower end Canon DSLRs would be good for him to look at. He is thinking about something 2 - 3 years old. I shoot with Nikon and have no idea which Canons he should be looking at. He wants something for shooting a fast moving kid and taking with him on hikes with said kid. Are there any lenses he should beware of?

I would appreciate your help in making a recommendation to him.

Knapp

Depends on the budget, if they want lightweight model for hiking then an older T3i or T2i would be good, if shooting sports then a 50D or 60D would be better.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    The Canon 60D with a 28-135IS lens isnt bad either. :)
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    cmason wrote: »
    The Canon 60D with a 28-135IS lens isnt bad either. :)

sure, Canon was selling the 60D on their refurbished site for less than $600