Options

Light Metering not working in Manual

ellcueellcue Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 1, 2013 in Cameras
Hi Everyone, I only shoot in manual mode and my Canon 5D Mark II has been getting worse in its inability to show me where the light metering reading will be while manipulating the settings of exposure. The light meter constantly jumps around the meter and does not give a definitive choice. The spot meter is not being used, the camera is on a tripod and the IS is turned off. This problem used to happen only with the 70-200mm lens after using a 2 hour long shoot or longer, but is now showing up after using the camera for a short time. I usually change the battery as soon as this happens, but even that is not helpful anymore. Has anyone experienced this? Do you have any suggestions?
thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,891 moderator
    edited May 1, 2013
    The first thing that I suggest trying is a complete camera reset.

Turn off the camera and remove the battery and memory card. Now turn on the camera and wait 1/2 hour or so. Turn off the camera again and reinsert the battery.

Finally, turn on the camera again (without the memory card), set the Menu Item "Shoot W/O Card" to "On", and see if the exposure metering is improved.

If you see an improvement, reinsert the memory card and set that menu item back to "Shoot W/O Card - Off".
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited May 1, 2013
    Do you see the same behavior with all your batteries?

There are some reports of meter failure in the 5DmkII so you may need to send it to Canon for repair.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?