Editing

ChaKiraChaKira Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited July 5, 2013 in Finishing School
I'm not sure how to edit these and I'd like to enter them in a competition:

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

Megan Amelia Photography

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited May 2, 2013
    ChaKira,

Your horizons are not horizontal in the first two images. That may or may not be what you want in a contest entry.....

Are you wanting cropping suggestions for these images, or suggestions for image editing to increase their pop, like changes in tone, color, contrast or sharpening?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ChaKiraChaKira Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2013
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Chakira,

Your horizons are not horizontal in the first two images. That may or may not be what you want in a contest entry.....

Are you wanting cropping suggestions for these images, or suggestions for image editing to increase their pop, like changes in tone, color, contrast or sharpening?

That is true for those!
    A bit of both. I'd like to make them as good as possible. I'm not very good at cropping photos.

Thanks for replying
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

Megan Amelia Photography
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited May 2, 2013
    I might crop your first image with the dog in the lateral third, taking care to keep his tail and his shadow, while getting the skyline horizontal. Some shots fair nicely with oblique horizons, but water usually is not one of them.

I would brighten the surround of the dog, which looks slightly under-exposed, and then lighten the dog further with a screen blend to give you something like this frame below.

Are these the kinds of suggestions you are wanting? Maybe some of our readers will suggest alternatives for your other three images.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    ChaKira wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to edit these and I'd like to enter them in a competition:

What limits does the competition place on editing? And how far do you want to go within those limits?

EDIT: For instance, would the contest allow editing to this extent? And if it did, would you be inclined to go this far ... or perhaps further? (I darkened the blue of the sky, opened shadow details on the dog's face, leveled the horizon, ran Noiseware on the sky, selectively sharpened subject and foreground, added a tint, and obviously cropped.)

doghe.jpg
    edited May 3, 2013
    Peano wrote: »
    What limits does the competition place on editing? And how far do you want to go within those limits?

EDIT: For instance, would the contest allow editing to this extent? And if it did, would you be inclined to go this far ... or perhaps further? (I darkened the blue of the sky, opened shadow details on the dog's face, leveled the horizon, ran Noiseware on the sky, selectively sharpened subject and foreground, added a tint, and obviously cropped.)

Wow I love that. I don't think there is any limits for the competition but it's pretty competitive!
    What should I do with the 3rd pic? Similar to what you've done on this one?

Megan Amelia Photography
    edited May 3, 2013
    What should I do with the 3rd pic? Similar to what you've done on this one?

Play around with different crops on that one. I tried sticking with the square crop. I think it sorta works with this shot. Same treatment otherwise ...

dog2a.jpg
    edited May 4, 2013
    Thanks!
    I'll try that. I'm not very good at cropping photos!

Megan Amelia Photography
    edited May 4, 2013
    More of a pano crop ... might also work. It's a pretty subjective decision.

dog2w.jpg
    edited May 5, 2013
    Thank you for your help! Really appreciate it.
    Would you keep the 3rd photo in colour at all?

Megan Amelia Photography
    edited May 5, 2013
    Would you keep the 3rd photo in colour at all?

No, I prefer B&W for that one. For both, in fact.
    edited May 5, 2013
    Peano wrote: »
    No, I prefer B&W for that one. For both, in fact.

Thanks

Megan Amelia Photography
    edited July 5, 2013
    hmm... the rules say: Only minor burning, dodging and/or colour correction is acceptable, as is cropping. High dynamic range images (HDR) and stitched panoramas are NOT acceptable.

Megan Amelia Photography