Options

HS Girls Soccer

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited May 2, 2013 in Sports
I decided to give the JV some love because they're usually ignored. Since they play before the varsity, I got to shoot daylight for a change, and with plenty of light I tried using the Sigma 500mm f/4.5. I think it worked. Not surprisingly, the JV look better in still photos than they do in action. (Was that a mean thing to say? :D)

_JWS8690-XL.jpg

_JWS8706-XL.jpg

_JWS8750-Edit-XL.jpg

_JWS8501-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2013
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2013
    Thanks Josh!
    John :
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2013
    Icebear wrote: »
    Thanks Josh!

Very nice shots! You got some good bokeh for an f/4.5! And the composition and editing are great. If have any nits, I'd say that #1 is a bit magenta-shifted on the WB and #3 seems ever so slightly over exposed to my eye. But these are very minor points.

Since my daughter's soccer teams (varsity and club) are perhaps the most photographed teams in their leagues (because I'm compulsive about it), I find myself looking for new ways to capture the game. Recently I've been shooting way tight to get just the face and upper torso, mostly for the expressions. However, many teenage girls want to look like fashion models whilst playing a gritty game, so I'm not sure how well these types of shots are going over with them. I do get a lot of the regular action as well, so they can't complain too much.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2013
    Nice shots, mean comment notwithstanding. I've learned to run shots of girls past my wife before posting to any gallery. You need to delete 3.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2013
    Nice shots, mean comment notwithstanding. I've learned to run shots of girls past my wife before posting to any gallery. You need to delete 3.

Thanks. One thing I've learned is that goalkeepers are a different breed. So long as they look like they're making a badass save, they love the shot. One thing I NEVER allow to see the light of day is the "cottage-cheese-thigh" effect that often shows up just as the foot strikes the ground. If I can't quickly "de-clarify" it, it's a tosser.
    John :
  • Options
    roscowgoroscowgo Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2013
    #1 really grabbed me. Looks like she means to either send that ball into orbit or kick it through somebody.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2013
    roscowgo wrote: »
    #1 really grabbed me. Looks like she means to either send that ball into orbit or kick it through somebody.
    rolleyes1.gifrofl
    John :