Options

Travelling in Cancun, primes or zoom?

babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited May 2, 2013 in Cameras
I need some help guys!
In a small dilemma over what to take with me on the 5 day trip to Cancun..

I was tossing between taking a somewhat compact zoom, 24-85 and possibly a 105DC for the sake of travelling light. But I was thinking we'd probably be out in all kinds of lighting, so I thought instead to take a set of f1.4 primes instead of the zoom.
For primes, I was thinking either: 16FE, 24, 85, and 105 or 16FE, 35, 85, 105. I'll more than likely toss in the 50 in either set, since the weight of it is trivial.
The body will be a single D800.

Recently, I spent two days in Asheville with only a 35 1.4, 16FE, and a 200 f4 micro, but used the 35 the most.

Any opinions?
I'd like to travel lighter, as I don't want to lug my gear to a vacation with my girlfriend.
-Mike Jin
D800
16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
It never gets easier, you just get better.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited March 3, 2013
    You're on vacation. Take a couple of zooms or if she's not into the photo thing, a nice point and shoot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,891 moderator
    edited March 3, 2013
    For a Cancun vacation there will be many photo opportunities. If you really want to "travel light", I submit that the Nikon D800 plus lenses is not a very suitable platform.

I suggest renting a Nikon D7000, plus a standard, fast aperture zoom, like the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX, adding a Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR plus a Canon 500D close-focus diopter.

Those 2 - lenses are tremendously versatile and cover a majority of possibilities, with the diopter adding competent close-focus capabilities.

Finish the kit with a medium sized flash and a flash modifier and you're set for most anything.

All of this should fit a smaller conventional bag, or use a deep camera holster plus a couple of external lens pouches for extra configuration options.

A 1.4x teleconverter adds some extra daylight reach for not a lot of extra bulk or weight.

Finally, I recommend an advanced digicam for your girlfriend and as a backup camera.

For a vista scenic I recommend using multiple overlapping exposures and stitching in post. This avoids adding another lens and also adds detail. Careful attention to shooting technique should prevent problems with parallax error in stitching. Manual exposure and manual focus is indicated, of course.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2013
    Hm.. I'm trying to be as inconspicuous as possible, and I don't think the 70-200 will help me in that aspect, haha.
    I've been trying to get her into photography for awhile now. Although she doesn't like to take pictures, she likes to have her pictures taken, so I guess that's not a bad starting point!

Or a small zoom + sharp prime and fisheye?
    I opted against the 24-120 f4, as I took it to New York with the 16-35 f4 and hated lugging it around.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    D800 in Cancun? If you're not particularly obsessed with ultra-wide or telephoto type photos, then yeah a 24-120 or 24-85 might be all you need. Then add a prime or two just for good measure.

However if you're really looking to cover all the bases, then you'd be much better off with a couple f/4 zooms on either end, such as a 16-35 f/4 and a 70-200 f/4, with a 50mm or 35mm prime to fill the middle. Of course that is just wishful thinking, if you don't already have those zooms.

Personally, if I were traveling I would opt for a smaller lighter camera body, but then again we're getting into the wishful thinking category, and I usually just end up bringing whatever camera and lenses I own at the time, lol...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2013
    I only have my D800 bodies, and I don't want to rent another body (D600/D7000?) for the sake of this trip.
    The D800 can get heavy, really quick though!

The reason I chose against the 16-35 f4 was that I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, on my NYC trip. And although its light, it's a large piece of glass!
    I cannot imagine taking the 70-200 f2.8, without torturing myself, and I don't own a 70-200 f4.

I'm currently leaning towards:
    16FE, 24-85 (probably renting), 105 f2DC, and 35 1.4 with the D800.
    I wish I knew what kind of lenses suited the Cancun photo op's..
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,891 moderator
    edited March 3, 2013
    babowc wrote: »
    ... I wish I knew what kind of lenses suited the Cancun photo op's..

My lens recommendations were based on a trip that my wife and I took to Cancun, which included day and night excursions of Cancun itself, a day trip into the Yucatan including Chichen Itza, Tulum and Xel-Ha, and a trimaran cruise to Isla Mujeres.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    My lens recommendations were based on a trip that my wife and I took to Cancun, which included day and night excursions of Cancun itself, a day trip into the Yucatan including Chichen Itza, Tulum and Xel-Ha, and a trimaran cruise to Isla Mujeres.

Ah, I see!
    As much as those lenses you listed would probably be great for travel, I don't own those lenses and would rather not rent too many items.

I do have a D7000 body, but neither of the lenses you've mentioned.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    Easy answer. Just the 35. Done.

If you must take a tight portrait of your girlfriend while on the trip then also bring the 85 and leave it locked in the hotel until you agree on a time and place for a photoshoot. If you bring more than that, you will end up paying more attention to your camera than your girlfriend. This will not go over well.

You are going on vacation. Your pictures should tell a story. That means including context, surroundings, and background. That also means relaxing and enjoying the moment, not fumbling around with gear, or worrying about which lens to use, or annoying your gf and fellow travelers by doing so.

I've gone on family weekends and vacations with only a 35 and never wished for more. A 35 is perfect. 50 can feel like tunnel vision, and 24 is often too wide when people are involved, and/or too distorted. I think 28 is the wide limit for photojournalism. A 35 can masquerade as a 50 by cropping (or heck, even longer with a D800), and as something wider (in a pinch) by stitching.

You're welcome. Have a great trip. ;)
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    I travel to this area a couple times per year. I would strongly recommend a nice point n shoot if you have one. I always take my DSLR and a couple lenses but I use the point n shoot most of the time. Example: my wife always wants a picture of her and I together so you have to hand your camera off to a waiter or another tourist. When you hand them your D800 they will look at you like "what do I do with this" hand them a point n shoot and away they go. I love my canon s90 for this!
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2013
    Haha, my girlfriend is like that too.. She always wants a full body shot of us, so I end up handing it to someone that hasn't a clue. And because of it, I'm taking a small tripod!

Jack, I have used the 35mm exclusively in Asheville, so I was leaning towards it too. But I feel like I'd be unprepared if I took just one lens.. :/
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2013
    Yep, those D800's are heavy. I see no one has suggested a sling strap...like a Black Rapids RS7 or similar from another brand. I love shooting my D700 and 24-70 2.8, but i hated carrying it around. Last year, I purchased a sling for my D700...what a difference. Now my SLR hangs from my hip, ready to go...and the weight distribution is wonderful...not to mention that you have the use of both of your hands without having to worry about your camera dropping off of your shoulder.

I shoot bike rides and have carried my D700 for more than 8 hours a day with my sling and love it. I will never go back.

Highly recommended as an addition to your kit.

Another recommendation is Nikon's compact P7700, which I'm currently using on vacation. Great low light capability and the vibration reduction works very well. I love the controls on the body...really nice. There's no peep sight, but I haven't missed it.

One caveat, it is a bit battery hungry, and it's not nearly as fast as a DSLR for grabbing those quick shots, but the 28-200mm lens is extremely sharp. I love shooting natural light...getting those shots that you just can't get using flash, and I've been very satisfied.

And, I was just in the Bahama's, and although no one was robbed on the trip...carrying $4000 to $5000 worth of camera gear around your neck makes you a target.

Be sure to read the Department of States travel advisory for where you are going. Nassau was on the critical list...the highest threat level that they can give.

Just FYI...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    schadowriderschadowrider Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2013
    Agree on the Black Rapids - used mine with a D800 and D7000 on vacation last year, and it was no problem wearing all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    I took the D800 with 105 f2, 35 1.4 and a 16 2.8 FE, along with a polaroid, P7000, and SB900.
    I broke down and took the tripod alongside my mini tripod.

The entire setup was stowed on a Thinktank Retrospective 20 shoulder bag, and it was quite a burden.
    I usually kept the D800 and 35 or 16 with me, and left everything else at the room.

I did get "looks" and comments about my camera, but overall, I think Cancun was pretty safe.
    I ventured into the downtown area, outside of the safer "hotel zone", but it was no problem.

I actually wished I took my 200 f4 for macro and long reach shots, but the shoulder bag felt a pretty good weight with the mentioned setup.
    However, for my next trip, I'll be getting the Thinktank streetwalker and taking a few more lenses.

I will recommend a dedicated UWA or WA lens, alongside a long tele.
    A 35mm 1.4 and a 24-120 or such zoom would complement the setup.

And for filters, I never received my ND filters on the date of expected delivery, so I was SOL on that part.
    I would highly recommend ND, CPL, and a protective UV filter on every lens, if you're doing any travelling.
    I was constantly cleaning off dust off my lenses, and I didn't take my cleaner solution. I was getting uneasy at first, but stopped caring after the first day.

For the straps, the provided Nikon strap was a bit uncomfortable.
    I would've enjoyed a slingstrap, or even just a handstrap.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2013
    Sounds like you had a good time...now, how about some pics...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Haha, I promise I'll post a few up after my exam tomorrow!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2013
    I was in Cozumel this past fall and here's my suggestion: FF body, 35 1.4, and a wide zoom, AND underwater housing rental. I used Lensprotogo and was very happy with my rental experience. You don't need a long zoom for tourism, IMO. Unless you are craving a sore neck and everyone in your travel party being fed up with your gear junkshow. On my next Caribbean trip the 5D3 will be for the underwater kit only, and my new X100S will serve for above water photo-duty.
  • Options
    DangerchrisDangerchris Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    ---
    Chris
    www.chrisskrod.com Portfolio site for Portrait Photography
    www.chrisskrod.smugmug.com My general photo sharing site.
    www.instagram.com/chrisskrod Instagram
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    Totally Agree With Ziggy
    Photography is my main reason for travel. Post processing my images extends the joys of my trip and viewing those images for years later extends my travel pleasure.

Although, I am a Canon Guy, I carry the same two zoom lenses (Canon variety) as Ziggy suggests for a Nikon kit. The 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 70-200mm f/4L IS a 330EX flash and a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro modifier. This is the best travel setup I have ever used. Thankfully, however, my spouse is very patient regarding my shooting. She likes to have nice images of the trip to show family and friends.

See my www.smugmug.com China galleries which were totally shot with the 17-55mm and 70-200mm lenses on a 30D and a 40D. I now carry a pair of Canon 7D cameras.

http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/

I make one addition to the lineup... I carry and shoot with two cameras (usually hanging on an OPTECH Dual Harness).

Later this Spring, I am traveling to Venice, Greece and Istanbul and will add an additional lens: 12-24mm Tokina f/4 ATX. I am thinking about the interior of some Istanbul mosques. However, I almost never used the 12-24mm lens in China. But, it would be a safety valve. I could limp along with this lens (24.2mm - 38mm equivalent) as my mid-range zoom if the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens would go down. Redundancy is always helpful.

The entire setup weighs about 12 pounds - or 5 kilos in a Domke F-2 camera bag. I am ready to kick over to my 73rd year of life and still have the stamina to carry the gear I want...

BTW: lots of folks don't need a long lens "for tourism" but lots of folks bring home images only of brick and mortar and boring w/a landscapes. My 70-200mm f/4L IS lens is like the American Express Card in the 1960's TV commercials, "I never leave home without it!"
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2013
    Honestly, if you are just going for vaca with your GF just travel light.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2013
    Although the only professional credentials I can claim are in sports photography, I do travel a lot and shoot as much as I can. I agree with others here that traveling light is key. I'm a Canon shooter, and I take just my 5DII on the road. (I wouldn't dream of taking my 1D bodies on a trip, unless there was a significant sports component.) 90% of my shots come from my 24-70/2.8, and a smattering from my 50/1.2 (mostly low light conditions like clubs and performances). I also usually bring along a 135/2.0 for candid portraits of the locals, and my el cheapo 70-300 $600 special in case there is some wildlife I'd like to get. (The latter works fine stopped down at 7.1, though the bokeh sucks.)

All of this can fit in a daypack, and it's fairly unobtrusive and not a burden to carry around. I sometimes take an underwater housing if diving is good.

Since it is a vacation, it's important to realise how your shooting is going to affect your girlfriend. In my observation the more conspicuous the camera/lens (#200mmf/2.8), the more annoyed non-shooters get. Keep it simple and you'll look like most of the other tourists and your companion will appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2013
    Yep, I traveled as light as I could, albeit still not very light.

I took the 800 with the 16FE, 35 1.4, 105 2.0, and a SB900.
    I should've taken a zoom instead of the 105 f2, since I had my low-light covered with the 35 1.4.. but I got some great shots of my GF on the beach, so it was all worth it.
    I can't imagine lugging my 70-200 2.8 on a trip. I think I'd hate carrying such monster.
    -Mike Jin
    D800