Mini-Challenge #163 - Sense of Place - Results

fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited May 8, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
I think this was another narrowly focused challenge. Having said that, I really enjoyed looking through these images. I did in fact spend several hours looking and looking again, so see that I could really take in the place where these images were captured. There are so many examples of excellent composition, exposure, and overall photographic skill, this judging very difficult. It is very difficult ranking these images, because so many not in the top 5 are still excellent. Thank you to everyone who took the time to participate and engage in the conversation.

I narrowed the contributions down to the top 5 that I will present here.

5. GrandmaR - Lighthouse.

This is a really good use of angles. I felt the perspective looking up into this narrow structure, along with the stairs up one side was quite captivating.
i-VL2xstx-L.jpg

4. Travelways - Newfoundland, Canada
I love the detail in this image. The colors both foreground and background. But what I really liked was that when I look at this image I can imagine that if I were to grab the end of the quilt, I would almost fall into the river.
i-wdxBW4T-L.jpg

3. torrbrae - Cave, Lake Rotoma (Bay of Plenty, NZ)
What caught my eye here was the effect of the framing. It really makes me feel like I am standing in a cave / overhang looking outside. Taking a rest from a trip on the Kayak.
i-KdKSnxG-L.jpg

2. Kentwaller - black forest waterfall
Incredible image here Kent. It seems like the angle of the trees pointing up to the peak of the waterfall along with the ascending stairs all work together go produce a terrific effect. Beautiful image, I feel like I am there.
i-GNz3JWp-L.jpg

1. Sapphire - Navigating Milford Sound (New Zealand)
Gretchen, this was your number two image, but it is my number one! The mystery really comes out in this composition. What grabs me is the light on the water disappearing into the darkness right where the slopes on each side converge. I can feel the cold and the hair on the back of my neck stands up as I think of what's ahead. Thank you for sharing, I would love to see a larger copy of this image. Good luck with the next challenge, it's all yours.
i-9BrNLnK-L.jpg

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    Congrats to all! Well done!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    Congratulations to the other four and thank you for picking my photo as one of the five

I hesitated to enter that one because I perceived that what was wanted was a landscape, and this wasn't. The lighthouse was open for climbing and initially I did not think I would climb it and then I changed my mind. I couldn't stand in line because of my back, so they let me sit down inside the base of the lighthouse to wait my turn (only a certain number of people were allowed up at a time - it is a VERY small lighthouse). In the end, I didn't climb it after all because the friends we were with wanted to leave. So that will be for another time.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 6, 2013
    Somewhat overwhelmed to find this photo in first place. (Links to a larger version of this image.)

Thank you, Jim! There are lots of great entries in this thread!

I am feeling a bit jet lagged at the moment after a quick trip to Japan and Korea, but will try to post the next mini in a day or so.

Gretchen
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Congrats, Gretchen! That is a really dramatic shot.
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    thanks for the 2nd place nod Jim - congrats to Gretchen - that shot was a clear winner to me as well! well done everyone!
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Although I loved the picture with the fisherman, I think that this one (Navigating Milford Sound (New Zealand) totally deserves all the kudos
    - I like the mystery in it and and that pick of the mountain raising above the clouds, really add to the total mood.

Very nice work Gretchen, and Congratulations! - I'm admiring your photography clap.gif

Congratulations as well to the other 4 winners, and thank you for including mine on the list :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Been especially busy lately, but just popped in to see the results of the last MC - congratulations to All.

And I just hafta say...

I L.O.V.E. this one. The juxtaposition of those fluttering quilts with the weathered red buildings, the sky, and the river - all is just perfect!

Furthermore... amazingly - I'm able to view and repaste a Travelways image!!!

i-wdxBW4T-S.jpg
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 7, 2013
    Been especially busy lately, but just popped in to see the results of the last MC - congratulations to All.

And I just hafta say...

I L.O.V.E. this one. The juxtaposition of those fluttering quilts with the weathered red buildings, the sky, and the river - all is just perfect!

Furthermore... amazingly - I'm able to view and repaste a Travelways image!!!

i-wdxBW4T-S.jpg

This image was one of my favorites as well!
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2013
    I can't tell you how difficult it was to judge this challenge. Admittedly, this is the first challenge I had to judge and it was more difficult than I would have imagined. There were to many good images that I looked over that could have been in the top 5.

Can't say enough about the raw talent in this group.

Thanks to everyone.

Jim
    edited May 8, 2013
    I will have the new challenge posted later today (Wednesday). Ended up with several ideas and have now settled on one of them. Hope folks enjoy it.

Gretchen
    edited May 8, 2013

Travelnlass, I was deciding between "juxtaposition" and two other possible themes for the next mini and noted the coincidence of your use of this word in describing Tatiana's striking image! :D
    edited May 8, 2013
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Travelnlass, I was deciding between "juxtaposition" and two other possible themes for the next mini and noted the coincidence of your use of this word in describing Tatiana's striking image! :D
    So.... does this mean... we'll be "juxtaposing" in the next challenge? ;)
    TravelnLass.com
    edited May 8, 2013
    So.... does this mean... we'll be "juxtaposing" in the next challenge? ;)

Yes, indeed! I have just posted the new mini!
    edited May 8, 2013
    Yes, indeed! I have just posted the new mini!

Great - a most interesting challenge!
    TravelnLass.com
    edited May 8, 2013
    Love this subject thumb.gif

Hey, I can enter my newfoundland photo again mwink.gif - kidding of course rolleyes1.gif

Back to the archives :D
    Travelways.com
    edited May 8, 2013
    Wow, thank you so much! iloveyou.gif
    This image was one of my favorites as well!
    Travelways.com
    edited May 8, 2013
    travelways wrote: »
    Love this subject thumb.gif

Hey, I can enter my newfoundland photo again mwink.gif - kidding of course rolleyes1.gif

Back to the archives :D

I see no reason why you can't enter it again but I am guessing that you have lots of great photos to consider entering in this mini!
    edited May 8, 2013
    Hey Jim,

Don't worry - I personally hate judging and I can tell that every time after I do it I feel guilty for days...

- This was also back in time for the main DGrin challenges :)

Now, I know that some don't like the public voting, and I started to doubt myself about using it for the main challenges.
    However, I always wished that this "minis" were judged collectively, because there are many more wonderful entries and it's so difficult to choose from... headscratch.gif
    fjcvisual wrote: »
    I can't tell you how difficult it was to judge this challenge. Admittedly, this is the first challenge I had to judge and it was more difficult than I would have imagined. There were to many good images that I looked over that could have been in the top 5.

Can't say enough about the raw talent in this group.

Thanks to everyone.

Jim
    Travelways.com