Options

Five week old Ospreys

slopokislopoki Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited May 7, 2013 in Wildlife
I have been following this nest for the last 8 weeks and hopefully I'll see them all make to adulthood.
Thanks for looking, Rick
http://www.slopoki1.com
D30_5509-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2013
    Nice photo taken here, and this would even be more stunning if you could see the adults face, but it has a story still with this image.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2013
    What a fascinating photo! I have never seen osprey chicks before. What exactly was happening here--why is the adult flying seemingly away from the nest? Best, Pam
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2013
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    What a fascinating photo! I have never seen osprey chicks before. What exactly was happening here--why is the adult flying seemingly away from the nest? Best, Pam

Hi Pam, What's happening here is the male bird is in front of the nest and getting ready to land.
    Ospreys always land into the wind and the wind was blowing toward me.
    After dropping off the fish he's back out hunting and the female will eat the head first and then start feeding the chicks.

The wind hardly ever comes from the west where I could get the hunting bird coming in facing me, but more then likely I would end up with the backs of there heads.

I though this shot worked well as I got all three chicks as well as the mama bird.

Thanks for asking.
    Rick
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2013
    slopoki wrote: »
    Hi Pam, What's happening here is the male bird is in front of the nest and getting ready to land.
    Ospreys always land into the wind and the wind was blowing toward me.
    After dropping off the fish he's back out hunting and the female will eat the head first and then start feeding the chicks.

The wind hardly ever comes from the west where I could get the hunting bird coming in facing me, but more then likely I would end up with the backs of there heads.

I though this shot worked well as I got all three chicks as well as the mama bird.

Thanks for asking.
    Rick

I think the shot works well, too! Thanks for explaining, because I couldn't quite figure out the bird with the fish seemingly taking off from the nest. Best, Pam
  • Options
    roscowgoroscowgo Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2013
    I love the expression of the chick in the back left.

Very mad scientisty.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2013
    Nice photo taken here, and this would even be more stunning if you could see the adults face, but it has a story still with this image.
    Thanks Dennis.
    Rick
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Fantastic capture, love the picture..!!