Options

Beau Picasso, Guardian, etc.

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 9, 2013 in The Big Picture
The other day I was approached by a young model who was collecting "votes" to get her into a modeling seminar/class/gig of a sorts. Mostly out of curiosity, if of anything else, I decided to check out that site. It is called www.beaupicasso.com and kinda offers lush artistic nude photography experience on French Riviera and in Dubai (both known as some rather expensive places).
As some of you may know, artistic nude photography is my thing, so I went ahead and started the "French Riviera" short vimeo to estimate the level of work that it is done over there. On a counter 00:20 I noticed something familiar (warning: 18+ content):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2505148/Shared%20photos/french%20rivera%20anya%207-13-2011%205-12-23%20PM.jpg
I was pretty sure I knew the model, Anya. After all, I worked with her twice. I decided to double check, and surely, there was the same image in her portfolio, credited to an Oregon photographer.
I had notified them both, and, of course, they had no idea their image was used over there.

Another friendly model notified me last year that our (mine and hers) image was used by the UK "Guardian" newspaper, but it was too late to find any tracks of that, otherwise PPA legal team would surely be sending them some letters.

The point of my post? You never know where your image may end up at once it hits the interwebz. :dunno
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    edited July 15, 2011
    Well, what do you know - the video is not there anymore. I guess the guy got the message...
  • Options
    Beau PicassoBeau Picasso Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2012
    Beau Picasso responds
    I have been aware of your post for some time now, and I have likely lost some business because of this. The models who work with me often complain the I should "do something about it", but what is to do without your cooperation? A mistake was made!

Now that I have been patient enough to "let it lie" out there for a while, might you remove your comment? After all, you never contacted me to find out the context of the mistake, but just took it upon yourself to make your concerns public, which shows very little discretion and a bit less valor.

I have thousands of images of my own and was simply loading up photos that I liked when I was creating my web site, a sort of "homage" to the type of photography work that I aspired to do. I had no idea that my site would be so popular, and I thought this part of the site was private, not to be public.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    I have been aware of your post for some time now, and I have likely lost some business because of this. The models who work with me often complain the I should "do something about it", but what is to do without your cooperation? A mistake was made!

Now that I have been patient enough to "let it lie" out there for a while, might you remove your comment? After all, you never contacted me to find out the context of the mistake, but just took it upon yourself to make your concerns public, which shows very little discretion and a bit less valor.

I have thousands of images of my own and was simply loading up photos that I liked when I was creating my web site, a sort of "homage" to the type of photography work that I aspired to do. I had no idea that my site would be so popular, and I thought this part of the site was private, not to be public.
    As a professional (or, at least, as a someone who presents himself as one) you should have known better than "simply loading up photos that I liked" without having the proper rights to do so. What is admissible on a personal facebook page and falls under the clause of the "fair use" is unforgivable for the pro running a business.
    Having said that, I'm willing to ask the mods to remove this thread, but under one condition: you apologize to the model and to the photographer whose work you have used advertising your business without any right to do so. Once they give you a "full pardon" I'll have no further problem with this case.
    You may ask how you find them? Well, you found the picture once, you can do it again and find all the parties involved...
    Until then - my post stays.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2012
    Well, a few days ago I had a little followup chat with the photographer whose picture you have used. Here's what he had to say (and yes, I have his written permission to quote him:-)
    I got him to remove the image fairly quickly, but I did have to threaten to sick a lawyer on him. He replied to me that I was being rude and unfair and that he only used my work because he "loves it so much". I had to explain to him that though saying such things is very kind, it still doesn't give him the right to use the work.
    I never heard from him again after that.
    (I admit I left out a few extra comments of a less-than-flattering nature.)

It's because of the incidents like this we have to deal with SOPA/PIPA stuff here in US ... :cry
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012

In case you choose to come back and read.....

What you did is called stealing here in the U.S. If and only if you took those works, credited them AND stirred a discussion about the merits of such a piece could it then potentially fall under "Fair-Use" guidelines as a transformative work. Our media does this every day.

As for your accusations of little "discretion and bit less valor", we have a saying here in the U.S.: "The Pot calling the Kettle Black!" Meaning it was you who acted with little discretion and a bit less valor.

No. What Nikolai did was alert us to potential fraud.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Continuing in on a general OP idea ("... once it hits the interwebz..."), today I stumbled upon the following article about what's happening at Amazon:
    http://www.npr.org/2012/01/29/146053943/on-amazon-an-uneasy-mix-of-plagiarism-and-erotica?sc=fb&cc=fp
    The quote from the article that kinda nails it for me:
    "All you got to do is steal some content ... there's shame attached to erotica that makes it even easier because people are less likely to report it"

Jussayin'
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    As a professional (or, at least, as a someone who presents himself as one) you should have known better than "simply loading up photos that I liked" without having the proper rights to do so. What is admissible on a personal facebook page and falls under the clause of the "fair use" is unforgivable for the pro running a business.
    Having said that, I'm willing to ask the mods to remove this thread, but under one condition: you apologize to the model and to the photographer whose work you have used advertising your business without any right to do so. Once they give you a "full pardon" I'll have no further problem with this case.
    You may ask how you find them? Well, you found the picture once, you can do it again and find all the parties involved...
    Until then - my post stays.

Hello, this is the story, and I tried to explain it to the photographer when I apologized. As someone who is very busy, I delegated some web design duties to an assistant, and she chose a free service called Jimdo to do a trial page. She saw a file on the desktop entitled "photos I like" and added them to a video scroll and .... viola. Now, being a person who does honest work, I never google my name. Then I saw your post and it had ripple effects. I guess I could have contacted you earlier. Now the consequences are lost business and reputation for more me, and you come across as more or less the expert. But you might have contacted me and done the delicate but professional thing of asking what was going on. I hope you remove this post and find that the punishment does not fit the crime, and that some models lost out on a great opportunity.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    In case you choose to come back and read.....

What you did is called stealing here in the U.S. If and only if you took those works, credited them AND stirred a discussion about the merits of such a piece could it then potentially fall under "Fair-Use" guidelines as a transformative work. Our media does this every day.

As for your accusations of little "discretion and bit less valor", we have a saying here in the U.S.: "The Pot calling the Kettle Black!" Meaning it was you who acted with little discretion and a bit less valor.

No. What Nikolai did was alert us to potential fraud.

All he had to do is ask. Instead, the accusation of fraud was raised and is raised again by yourself. The internet is supposed to be a place to communicate, and, if you read my posting below, I did not do it personally, but my name is now associated. I know that blog posts don´t have to follow journalistic integrity, but perhaps valor would have been to simply contact me!
  • Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Yo Beau, "busy" doesn't cut it IMO. Personally, I find it somewhat horribly fascinating and appalling that you wouldn't know what's on your own website (if it's yours, you're responsible for it) and that you have the temerity to paint yourself as a victim.
  • Options
    JustagirlJustagirl Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 10, 2012
    A friend of mine recently found one of his images in a promo vid that is on the website (as of today). The search for more info on this guy brought me here.

This Beau person is a thief and some suspect quite worse. While I will leave it up to you to do your own research, I would say that removing this thread isn't necessary as this person has some degree of consistency with *borrowing* work of others.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2012
    Justagirl wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently found one of his images in a promo vid that is on the website (as of today). The search for more info on this guy brought me here.

This Beau person is a thief and some suspect quite worse. While I will leave it up to you to do your own research, I would say that removing this thread isn't necessary as this person has some degree of consistency with *borrowing* work of others.

This is simply not possible, as I have been more attentive to my site due to these postings. Very dramatic, "and some suspect quite worse". I have heard just about everything about me on the internet, as it is the "Wild West" for anonymous postings. Anything goes! For instance, I have found the "root" cause of this echo chamber, an ex-girlfriend who stole images from my computer after I kicked her out. The host of the site says that they can do nothing, contact the police (which I did) but the information is still up there. And each time I post my comments they are promptly deleted.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Oh my gawd, did you guys check out the website?

So let me get this straight. You get chicks to fly out to you and pay you 4,000 euros to pose nude in exchange for some pretty mediocre prints? Has anybody actually paid you for this?

If so, I gotta rethink my career :X
  • Options
    brilliantbeautybrilliantbeauty Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2013
    Beau Picasso is bad!!! He manipulator who exploits women. He takes pictures and uses them against you if you don't do what he want.
This discussion has been closed.