Options

Recommendation for one tripod for Photo and Video? hybrid solution? Which one?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited May 14, 2013 in Accessories
I am looking for a solution for a tripod system which I can use for photography AND videography for HDSLRs... I would like to shoot photography and videography with Canon 5D Mark ii. I don't want to buy 2 tripods....

What should I buy? Do you recommend a hybrid solution? If yes, which one?

Manfrotto makes the Mh005 Q5 (Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5) head. Can you recommend it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2013
    Whilst I'm in no position to advise ppl re video gear (only have a Kodak Playsport :) ) ... it might be worth checking out tripod 'systems' that easily allow the attachment of different heads etc ... including fluid heads.

When I need to use a tripod with my main gear (1Dm3 +500f4) I use a Libec fluid head atop a series 5 Ali Gitzo tripod. This combo is made possible via an adaptor for the video bowl, made by myself (gitzo also make adaptors)

When not needing this rig, it's simple enough to remove the bowl and replace with whatever I consider appropriate - often a flat plate + ball head.

This tripod (rig) allows for much lower shooting than the legs that originally came with the bowl, btw ... altho I appreciate there are video tripods around that would (probably) allow similar features.

All bought used, btw ... so I had no need for offering kidneys for sale :)

pp
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2013
    http://blog.reallyrightstuff.com/new-rrs-gear-at-nab/

Look at the FH-55 fluid head and the new Versa X tripods. Then fill the bathtub with ice. Prices are not listed yet but I bet it requires 2 kidneys. deal.gif
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »

Look at the FH-55 fluid head ...

Will be interesting to see how the video community rate this against existing established products, considering ppl like Miller have been around for yrs...

pp
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2013
    First I would have to see my Ferrari... :)
    What do you think of the ew Sachtler System Ace L TT 75/2 CF Carbon Fiber Tripods?
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2013
    Sachtler System Ace L TT 75/2 CF Carbon Fiber Tripod, do you recommend?
    I am considering buying the new Sachtler Ace L TT 75/2 CF Carbon Fiber Tripod? Anybody using it?

It has a new tripod leg which may be more durable compared to the older one people complain about....

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2013
    Sachtler fluid head + tripod below $1800? Is it realistic?
    Is there a Sachtler fluid head + tripod below $1800? Is it realistic?
    I would like to use it for wedding cinematography. The weight load would not exceed 10LB.
    Thanks so much!