Options

Anyone shoot Ironman off the back of a MC?

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited May 21, 2013 in Sports
Might have the chance to get on one of the bikes, and shoot it that way.

Hate the chance of risking my gear, for a few measly pics. But, now that everyone has a nice DSLR... who else gets to do that? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2013
    No way I'd do that. IMO that takes a special breed of crazy. :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2013
    Let me ping my friend for his perspective and see if he'll reply. He was a m/c pilot for a camera guy at IMTX last year.

Much would depend on the size of the photographer and the class of bike. Light/medium guys/gals on the back of the BMW 1150/1200 GS series have no problems. And if you're shooting, the pilot is considered an official vehicle so they can get in any position that's safe for the athlete. ie: front, back, quartering either.

Having participated in several as well as ride a motorcycle, I've always watched the camera guys buzz around with interest.

Here's a thread on a motorcycle forum I frequent that will give you some insight from the riders perspectives. You'll know what they are dealing with for your decision. Both pages have good info.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73035&highlight=ironman

• Options
    edited May 4, 2013
    Thanks for the link! Interesting.

I'm going to lean with Icebear, and say, pass.
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2013
    I was a pilot last year assigned to haul a videographer around.

From a purely photographic stand point, it was easy as rolling out of bed and shooting. You did not elaborate on what your concerns are on your gear would be, but I can not see one.

If you would share what your concerns are, I may be able to elaborate.

The vantage point, and the perspective of shooting from a bike are advantageous on many levels in my opinion.

In the thread that M38A1 linked to, I was talking as a motorcyclist and not a photographer. To be blunt, I was bored, as the photog that I was hauling was commissioned to follow only 1 guy throughout the event.

I much would have much more liked to haul a journalist or a "for profit" guy around so I could have seen more of the event.

PS: I will also add that hooking up with a "MEDIA" badged bike, you are basically given a free pass to go anywhere you want (within reason). Ropes / Gates are opened for you. Road blocks wave you through...

Here is my bike and my passenger is the dude standing with camera around his neck looking at his phone.

i-H9g2F2K-L.jpg

Cheers,
    Duke
    Duke
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2013
    Cool bike! I want one but no BMW dealer within 150 miles of us. I passed on it, being our local news blog is so cheap, and is satisfied with horrible cell phone photography, and treats women like shit. So I passed. The stupid Castiron man (half Ironman) event has cleaned up and rolled out of town.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2013
    Looking through a gallery of IMMT (IRONMAN Mont-Tremblant) I participated in, I came across these two pics to give you an idea of what it could be like...

Photo Credits: Triathlon Québec FB Page
    i-Z7JvknR-L.jpg

i-XW6k2tV-L.jpg

• Options
    edited May 6, 2013
    Riding backwards. Thats just crazy! I suppose I could have got some cool shots. I had a IM media pass too.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2013
    Which IM was your opportunity to shoot?
  • Options
    zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    Here is a little clip I put together from last years Vineman triathlon from a GoPro. The bike/moto stuff comes in around the 2:00 minute mark. It is the best way to get around and much more enjoyable if you have someone who has done it before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQNK4MYPTxE

Jeff
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2013
    zed wrote: »
    Here is a little clip I put together from last years Vineman triathlon from a GoPro. The bike/moto stuff comes in around the 2:00 minute mark. It is the best way to get around and much more enjoyable if you have someone who has done it before.

Jeff

thumb.gif What a treat that was to watch!

Were your primary combinations the 70-200 and 16-35 for all these shots?

And how did riding backseat on that BMW R1200GS work out?
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2013
    Yes...70-200 and 16-35 for all the shots in the video. I also had a 400 f5.6, but none of those shots are in the video.

While I have not spend much time on the back of a motorcycle, I have owned several of my own, so I was pretty comfortable. This particular rider is quite good as well, very smooth and has done this often over the years. The R1200 is a really nice bike...perfect for this kind of stuff. I'd have one of my own if I could afford it.

Jeff
  • Options
    GrayPlayerGrayPlayer Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    Bicycle races routinely show photogs riding backwards.
    I once covered a snowmobile race in Maine. Rode backward running 16mm and shooting b&w. Temp well below freezing.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2013
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Which IM was your opportunity to shoot?

St. George 70.3

I call it the Castiron man.

It was too hard last time when they did the full one. rolleyes1.gifwhew:tough
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2013

Jeff

Dang! Those shots were fantastic! Funny they also do the half ironman. And that place looks way prettier, and cooler.

Video is cool too. Had you posted that friday night I probably would have changed my mind. That Pinarello was sweet, and them shots were too. What shutter speed was you using, and do you sell, or use them pics for something?

Thanks
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2013
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2013
    Thanks!
    This video was from the half distance race, not the full distance. It is a really nice area for a race. It is a big part of why they have been doing these for more than 20 years. I am their official photographer, so I shoot all of the races they put on, each year. There is the half ironman championship qualifier, the full distance ironman, last year they added a mud run and this year they are adding an Olympic distance tri.

As far as my picture usage. The Vineman people use them for all their promotion stuff. We also put on a slide show after the full distance event for volunteers and another one for the participants. Some sponsors use certain pictures and there is usually a small gallery up on triathlete.com. This particular video is being used by one of the bicycle transport companies at a trade show. They have a booth set up and there are a couple of monitors looping various videos including this one.

Shutter speeds were all over the place. It really depends on the situation....but it could be anywhere from 1/40 (or slower) up to 1/8000.

Cool video on St. George...I know that has always been a really popular race.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2013
    Thanks!
    This video was from the half distance race, not the full distance. It is a really nice area for a race. It is a big part of why they have been doing these for more than 20 years. I am their official photographer, so I shoot all of the races they put on, each year. There is the half ironman championship qualifier, the full distance ironman, last year they added a mud run and this year they are adding an Olympic distance tri.

As far as my picture usage. The Vineman people use them for all their promotion stuff. We also put on a slide show after the full distance event for volunteers and another one for the participants. Some sponsors use certain pictures and there is usually a small gallery up on triathlete.com. This particular video is being used by one of the bicycle transport companies at a trade show. They have a booth set up and there are a couple of monitors looping various videos including this one.

Shutter speeds were all over the place. It really depends on the situation....but it could be anywhere from 1/40 (or slower) up to 1/8000.

Cool video on St. George...I know that has always been a really popular race.

Lucky!! I do a little work for our local news peeps. And they ran a gallery of pics from IM this year that was just awful. Mostly cell phone pics, and I just didnt want any part of it. Funny thing is they are happy with em.

If the writing was as bad as the images, they'd have a stroke and die. But no concern for quality work.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2013
    I shot one leg of the Amgen Tour of California on the back of a MotoFoto, and it was a blast! There's really no other way to cover the event, unless you're content with head shots at the start, and some isos at the end.

It took me a few miles to get the hang of keeping my two cameras well-behaved (1d bodies, with a 70-200 and a 24-70), but once done it was a snap. The guy driving me was experienced and had no problem doing whatever I asked: shots from the front, from behind, and the occasional shot of the peloton from way out in a flowery field.

Go for it!!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited May 8, 2013
    I've piloted officials before. My suggestion would be to listen to what the pilot tells you about leaning/moving. If you think you might do this frequently, invest in a helmet and a jacket-I know the guy on Harley is probably comfortable but if the bike goes down, he will have a serious case of road rash at a minimum. I won't say what I think about the helmet lol3.gif

Anyway, a motorcycle is an awesome way to cover an event.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2013
    Having shot IRONMAN Texas this past weekend for a big group of racers I'm associated with (and prior finisher at this event myself) I saw a friend of mine, who on the motorcycle forum was asking whether or not to sign up. Looks like he did and drew a Race Official. That meant he was riding the entire bike course while the official was looking for rules infractions (red/yellow card)

i-sVjnRxq-L.jpg