Options

Need some quick lens advise before I make a Mistake!!

DeputydawgDeputydawg Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited May 23, 2013 in Cameras
I am in need of some advise before I make a mistake I will regreat... I am also on a time crunch due to my Wife taking me to the FL Keys in less than 30days for a photo vacation and patiently hanging out with me while I run around taking as many pictures as I can for my big 40 Birthday Present.

What I am considering is since I have had no bites at all on the gear I have for sale is trading for credit though B&H or Amazon (Amazon gave a better price) I will be trading 4 lenses for basically one good one..

I use a Canon 60D and will be keeping my Canon 70-200 F4 IS, Canon 50mm 1.8 or Canon 60mm 2.8 and trading the following:

Canon 60mm 2.8 non IS (or keep and trade the 50mm)
Canon EFS 55-250 F4.0-5.6
Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 DC OS
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

I am looking for a general walk around lens that will be at least 17mm to ??? and I want it to be a 2.8 since I do not have anything that works well for low light or indoors. I will be using it primarly for landscapes, general purpose, and people/pets. I love my Canon 70-200 F4 L that will cover that zoom range and I don't mind having to change out lenses. What should I do?

Ideas are:
Sigma 17-50 2.8
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 ( does it really make a diffrence for low light if its not constant 2.8?)
Canon ef 24-105 F4 L lens
Sigma 24-70 2.8

Any better ideas?

Image Stabilization is important to me.

My question is am I shooting myself in the foot for trading what I have to go for a faster sharper lens?

The big sigma lens that I use for Wildlife/Birds will be replaced with a Canon 100-400 L or a 400L prime lens once my old duty weapon sells. I can borrow one for the trip from a friend for now.

I will have a budget of ruffly $900-1100 if I do the trades

thanks for your help..

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited May 14, 2013
    Yes, a constant aperture zoom of 17-50mm, f2.8 is a great benefit. The difference between f2.8 and f4 is that the f2.8 lets in twice as much light, meaning twice the shutter speed for the same exposure. An aperture of f2.8 also turns on the high-precision capabilities of the center focus dot, meaning a potential for sharper images at any aperture used, plus faster autofocus (since a smaller aperture can cause slower autofocus).

I wound up with the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM as my standard zoom lens for my Canon crop 1.6x/APS-C bodies, and it's well worth the money. Compared to the other standard zooms you have listed it is very much a Canon "L" image quality. It's also a very good travel lens, and a permanent part of my travel kit.

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS is just not a very good lens at the long end.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=729&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=0&LensComp=713&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=1
    (Mouseover the image to see Sigma at 70mm.)

The review of the lens also points this out:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-17-70mm-f-2.8-4-DC-Macro-OS-Lens-Review.aspx

"... I'm sorry to report disappointment with the Sigma 17-70 OS' image quality. The 17-70mm range is not dramatically longer than the Sigma 17-50's, but the image quality is decidedly worse."

I'm glad to see you keeping the EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM. I suggest that unless you spend a lot of time at the long end, add both a Canon 1.4x and Canon 2x telextender, rather than the Canon EF 100-400mm, f4-f5.6 IS USM. The 70-200mmf4L is just amazing as is, similar to, or better than, the 100-400mmf4-5.6L, when the 70-200mmF4L is used with the 1.4x converter, and just a little worse in the center, but better in the edges and corners, with the 2x converter. For travel, the 70-200mmf4L plus teleconverters is a very practical solution for many instances. (It does mean manual focus when you use the 2x converter, which I don't mind. Focus confirmation still works even at f8.)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=404&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=8&API=2&LensComp=113&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=1

While a standard zoom plus a telephoto zoom handles a great number of travel tasks, you are correct to keep a large aperture prime for night and indoor work without flash. In this case I suggest keeping the EF 50mm, f1.8 partly for the larger aperture, and partly because you just won't get anything for it as a trade-in. The Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM has excellent sharpness, and works nicely for some portraiture, but if you're not using it much has much better trade-in value.

About the only thing that hasn't been covered is a super-wide zoom lens, which I find handy for a travel kit. I use the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM. You can often find this lens used and not too expensive. It's not the best of the bunch, but stop it down one click and it manages quite nicely (good enough for commercial work).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2013
    I use a 24-70mm f/2.8 for my walk around lens, usually on a FF body. The IQ is great and the zoom range is quite versatile. I have the older version of the lens and have not seen any reason to upgrade. I don't know what these cost now in the used marketplace, but I suspect they've come down in price now that there is a newer version available.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2013
    I use the Nikon version of the Tamron SP 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II Aspherical (non-stabilized version). For a general walkaround, fixed 2.8 zoom on crop sensor, I like it very much. It is basically the crop version of the full-frame 24-70 (which I tried and found that 24 was not wide enough for my tastes). They also make a stabilized version which I have heard good things about, but I have not personally tried it. In general I prefer primes for the larger apertures and overall better IQ, but when I just want a general lens, the Tamron is a very nice compromise between speed, IQ, and convenience. The stabilized (VC in Tamron-speak) version is about $650, and the non-VC like I have is under $500 (IMO, stabilization is not terribly important for this focal length, but I also use a tripod a lot. YMMV). I'd suggest including one of those in your list.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    Deputydawg wrote: »
    I am in need of some advise before I make a mistake I will regreat... I am also on a time crunch due to my Wife taking me to the FL Keys in less than 30days for a photo vacation and patiently hanging out with me while I run around taking as many pictures as I can for my big 40 Birthday Present.

What I am considering is since I have had no bites at all on the gear I have for sale is trading for credit though B&H or Amazon (Amazon gave a better price) I will be trading 4 lenses for basically one good one..

I use a Canon 60D and will be keeping my Canon 70-200 F4 IS, Canon 50mm 1.8 or Canon 60mm 2.8 and trading the following:

Canon 60mm 2.8 non IS (or keep and trade the 50mm)
    Canon EFS 55-250 F4.0-5.6
    Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 DC OS
    Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

I am looking for a general walk around lens that will be at least 17mm to ??? and I want it to be a 2.8 since I do not have anything that works well for low light or indoors. I will be using it primarly for landscapes, general purpose, and people/pets. I love my Canon 70-200 F4 L that will cover that zoom range and I don't mind having to change out lenses. What should I do?

Ideas are:
    Sigma 17-50 2.8
    Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 ( does it really make a diffrence for low light if its not constant 2.8?)
    Canon ef 24-105 F4 L lens
    Sigma 24-70 2.8

Any better ideas?

Image Stabilization is important to me.

My question is am I shooting myself in the foot for trading what I have to go for a faster sharper lens?

The big sigma lens that I use for Wildlife/Birds will be replaced with a Canon 100-400 L or a 400L prime lens once my old duty weapon sells. I can borrow one for the trip from a friend for now.

I will have a budget of ruffly $900-1100 if I do the trades

thanks for your help..

my vote would be for the Sigma 17-50 2.8 but many indoor shots really need a flash - so get that first!
  • Options
    mcdmusicmcdmusic Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    I have the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 on a 650d and love this lens. I have two minor issues, the zoom ring is really stiff, and the manual focus ring has very little travel. The focus ring is a pain for video since i only use manual focus. As long as you are ok with these then get this over the Canon to save some money. Then use the money saved to get a flash.