Post Processing Nikon D4 NEFs

fd1075nyfd1075ny Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited May 30, 2013 in Finishing School
Hi all. I recently purchased the Nikon D4 and can only use the Nikon View NX2 software to convert NEFs to JPG or to just mess with a NEF (RAW) file. Currently I am using Adobe CS4 ( I know, I know:) ) and the iphoto software with my mac for post processing with my Nikon D3's NEFs. The CS4 and iphoto software doesnt allow me to work with the D4s NEFs. I have seen on a few Q & A's about this subject and some have hinted on CS5 or greater, Adobe LR and Aperature. I was wondering what the overall consensus, pros and cons are with D4 users on Dgrin before I make my move.

Thanks!
Dan

Comments

• BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    Perhaps try the Adobe DNG Converter 6.7 and see if the D4 NEF files converted to DNG will open in CS4.

Moving away from an Adobe workflow, you may wish to explore:

http://rawtherapee.com/downloads (multi platform)

or

http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html (Mac only)

Regards,

Stephen Marsh
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2013
    Not sure what happens when you use Adobe products on a Mac, but iPhoto (and Aperture) ability to decode raw files is a function of Mac OS X. Check to see that your system software is up to date, then iPhoto should be able to access the files.
    fd1075ny wrote: »
    Hi all. I recently purchased the Nikon D4 and can only use the Nikon View NX2 software to convert NEFs to JPG or to just mess with a NEF (RAW) file. Currently I am using Adobe CS4 ( I know, I know:) ) and the iphoto software with my mac for post processing with my Nikon D3's NEFs. The CS4 and iphoto software doesnt allow me to work with the D4s NEFs. I have seen on a few Q & A's about this subject and some have hinted on CS5 or greater, Adobe LR and Aperature. I was wondering what the overall consensus, pros and cons are with D4 users on Dgrin before I make my move.

Thanks!
    Dan
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2013
    I may not be understanding this correctly... since I do not have a MAC, but I do have a Nikon and I shoot NEF, I thought when I used CS4 that NEF images would open up Camera Raw where changes could be made and then open in PS where it could be saved as jpeg etc.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2013
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    I may not be understanding this correctly... since I do not have a MAC, but I do have a Nikon and I shoot NEF, I thought when I used CS4 that NEF images would open up Camera Raw where changes could be made and then open in PS where it could be saved as jpeg etc.

IF that version of ACR supports that camera. If not, you need to upgrade or convert to DNG assuming the camera isn't so new, Adobe (and others) have had the time to hack the proprietary raw format and update their software. The culprit here is every new camera has a new proprietary raw format that everyone else has to understand to support. But DNG allows you to use older versions of Adobe raw processors once a newer version of the DNG converter understands your newer camera file. Then that DNG can be accessed in older software.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/