Options

Western Michigan v. Notre Dame BB.

OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
edited May 24, 2013 in Sports
Here are a few shots at WMU. The Broncos scored 2 in the 1st, ND scored 1 in the 3rd and 7 in the 4th. In the bottom of the 9th, behind 13-2, WMU scored 8 but the rally fell short with the tying run on deck...:cry

C&C always welcome.:D

DSC_3382-L.jpg

DSC_3617-L.jpg

DSC_3518-L.jpg

DSC_3540-L.jpg

DSC_3548-L.jpg

DSC_3701-L.jpg

DSC_3427-L.jpg

DSC_3389-L.jpg

Regards,

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    Nice stuff. Good exposures and captures. I think the player would really dig a tighter crop on 7 and 8, if you have the pixels.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    Nice stuff. Good exposures and captures. I think the player would really dig a tighter crop on 7 and 8, if you have the pixels.

Thanks Jack, You're right about the crops, I was just trying to maintain the same aspect ratio on all of
    them. I do have the pixels for tighter crops.

Regards,
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    OldGuy wrote: »
    Thanks Jack, You're right about the crops, I was just trying to maintain the same aspect ratio on all of
    them. I do have the pixels for tighter crops.

I see you're selling prints of these images. I'm selling baseball photos too, for Little League. So I understand the desire to leave room for the customer to be able to choose different print sizes and crop accordingly. This is my fourth year doing this, and I've found that the vast majority of my sales are 4x6" followed by 5x7" a distant 2nd. 8x10"s are rare and I might get one or two orders a season for anything larger. This bothers me because I think a lot of my shots should be posters, and I'm confident in the quality of all the shots I publish for sale.

So I'm trying something new this year - I'm aggressively cropping many shots to a 5:7 or 4:5 aspect ratio and leaving no room to be able to print a 4x6" without cutting off body parts. The idea is to try to encourage parents to print bigger. I don't care about the extra couple dollars, I want the kids to have something nice that makes them look and feel like stars. I don't have results to report yet as I just started doing this. What do you think? Have you ever tried that? I really think you could crop #7 to at least 5:7 and probably 4:5 and fill the frame with the batter, and he would still buy it. I also wonder if parents/players are MORE inclined to buy a photo with a compelling, tight crop rather than a loose one. I think a lot of parents, perhaps even most, don't realize that you can crop an image. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

5D3_4404-XL.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.