Options

Need some help.

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited May 24, 2013 in People
Can someone go to pullbacks and tell me why the images are so poor in color. On my computer they are fine and when I view them at Smugmug they are OK. But here the color is wacko big time. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2013
    I see what you mean - brightness and colour is definitely off.

Colorspace?
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2013
    hack, on shot #9 for example, I see it is overexposed in the pull back thread (litle girl on her tummy), then i cut and pasted the link and looked at it directly from your smug mug site and the image is the same..over exposed..which makes sense since you are hot linking the image. (I am using FF browser)
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited May 22, 2013
    Hi Charles,

I responded in the Pullbacks thread, but basically I think that this is an ICC profile issue.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2013
    Yet in photoshop they look fine and when I view them on smug mug they look fine. Even on Facebook they are OK.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited May 22, 2013
    In Photoshop they look fine because it is a color managed environment.

I believe that SmugMug converts the ICC Profile to sRGB prior to printing. I'm not sure how they handle Internet display.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93362

From that page:
    "When SmugMug receives non-sRGB photos, what do you do?
    We learned from hard experience to convert CMYK, Adobe 98, and ProPhoto images to sRGB. Otherwise they look bad both online and in print, benefitting no one."

I don't have any idea what Facebook does for color management, but they probably convert everything to sRGB, knowing that most Facebook visitors will use Internet browsers that are not color managed.

Bottom line, I highly recommend converting everything that goes to SmugMug to ICC Profile "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" as that's what they expect. Likewise for images posted on DGrin, for obvious visible reasons.

If you deal directly with specific custom photofinishers they may, or may not, allow other color spaces. Best to check with them first.

If you do your own printing, it's best to use specific color spaces that match your equipment and your intent.

For 8-bit images with flesh tones I prefer to use sRGB since it allocates more data to the red channel than most other 8-bit color systems, potentially allowing smoother flesh tones.

In the mean time you might review:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm
    http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-debate.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2013
    Thanks all, will check all settings, maybe something was changed by a computer management program I installed.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2013
    Just looked at them on an android tablet and they are fine. Very confusing.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2013
    Thanks for all you help and suggestions. My camera profile was set in photoshop instead of srgb. I installed a new program to protect my computer and it must have somehow played games with me. It was just wierd that my desktop and Ipad showed up poorly but the other devices did not.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2013