Options

Thinking about challenge #129

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,966 Major grins
edited May 27, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have taken photos which had Silhouette but I didn't do it on purpose. Like these taken in 1998 with a point and shoot camera

428219_3185547931305_1546973888_n.jpg

423314_3227117090508_1233880793_n.jpg

So my first thought was to take a photo from inside the bathtub of the flowers that my daughter sent me for mother's day through the shower door.

IMG_8613.JPG

That wasn't too bad, but the shower door had a coarser pebbling than I liked.

I also tried the individual blooms, but the flowers had pretty much wilted by then and didn't really look exactly like flowers - this one looks like a dinosaur's head or skull and it is really a tulip

IMG_8616.JPG

So I tried this set up which I have for trying to sell old clothes from the 20s on eBay

IMG_8635.JPG
[/SIZE]
IMG_8632.JPG

But I don't like them either.
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2013
    The last two have promise. Try moving the clothes horse closer to the window. Maybe open the window to get a breeze moving the dress.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2013
    Thank you for the idea.

I'd have to use a fan as the windows don't open. Ever since we got a geothermal furnace, my husband has the windows sealed with home made storm windows inside of them (It's an old house and something like aluminum storm windows would spoil the look)

But the reason that the mannikin is close to the door is that if I put it farther into the room, the light from the other window would make it not a silhouette.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2013
    I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and saw the almost full moon through the trees and thought it would make a good picture, but there just wasn't enough light and I couldn't figure out how to make the camera take the photo without focusing. It just wouldn't trip the shutter and in the dark I couldn't tell how to make it do what I wanted.

The next day I tried moving the dress form around but I had trouble getting it in a position with light behind it and no light in front and the camera kept compensating and doing the exposure so it wasn't a silhouette. I got this one

IMG_8651.JPG

which I was going to call "What strange feet you have grandma"

IMG_8664.JPG

and this one in front of a closet with folding doors painted yellow and blue which I would call "Out of the closet"

But I was still not happy.

So last night, I went outside after dark to see what I could do.

I was still having trouble getting the camera to focus, but I did get this photo of the school across the street from our driveway
    IMG_8667.JPG

but it wasn't really in focus. So I turned around and was taking photos of my house

IMG_8671.JPG

In the process I did figure out that something I was doing was moving the little square around that is where the camera is focusing, which is good to know

IMG_8673.JPG

Since I can't stand up very long, and I have trouble holding the camera still enough to get a good exposure unless I brace it on something, I went down to where my car was parked so I could rest myself and the camera on the car, but here I had a problem in that our porch lights have motion detectors and go on if someone is moving around (which I was).

IMG_8674.JPG

So I had to sit and wait for the light to go out. When the light went out I took some photos of the cat in the window

IMG_8678.JPG

And then I tried the house again. I couldn't really see that well what the camera was seeing, but I have eventually used the one that shows the roofline and the TV antenna on the chimney

Then I came on in, but on the way I took some more photos of the cat

IMG_8680.JPG