Options

Teaser from yesterday

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 28, 2013 in People
You may recall this gal from a couple of previous shoots. She came back for another round yesterday - she's doing some different performing work now as well as lost about 40lbs and wanted new shots (frankly, I think she looked great before too, but she's back into her college size and is feelin' mighty sassy!)

This is a shot I've been wanting to try for ages, but never had the dress- she brought this big poofy thing with her and I just couldn't resist. One of many sets we did - including straight-up headshots and some promotional images for her cabaret act. We had SO MUCH FUN!!!

i-jMqdVWL-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    Now this really rocks!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    So, so cool. Shower curtain with a mirror behind it? Can't wait to see the others.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    I like the colors and her expression. I really like the background on this one too. Adds an extra flare that bumps it up to awesome.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

Love the movement and the energy. Really everything about it is lovely!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    Sue Bryce style! bowdown.gif Great job! As Sue would say, "You Rocked it!"

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    What an outstanding shot! The background is terrific as is her expression. Genuine happiness is awesome!
    Jared
    My Site
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2013
    Thanks guys!

Yes Gary, absolutely Sue Bryce inspired! As soon as I heard her talk about HOW she gets these "movement" shots I knew I wanted to try one, and have been waiting for the right opportunity. And this was sure the right opportunity!! This gal is heaps of fun, tons of energy, and not remotely self-conscious. She is an operatic Lucille Ball - hardest part is getting her to slow down so I can capture the fabulous expressions before she moves on to the next one!

The background is a piece of foil-backed insulation - my go-to BG these days. I LOVE it. Not only does it give a really cool look (and depending on aperture can look completely differnet) but it gives me fabulous wraparound light by "back reflecting". A very well spent $11 lol.

I will say I had to do a LOT of work to clean up where we had "fallen off" the bg (it's only 5ft wide, so there was at least a foot missing on either side when I pulled her far enough away from it that she wasn't going to hit it as she turned). One of the many times I wish I had a proper studio space with more ROOM than I do at home; I would just use two of these side-by-side and save myself ridiculous amounts of time. Loads of copy/paste/clone and dodging and burning involved to get to the finished product, but I think it was worth the time involved (I didn't do it all in one sitting - I seldom do - but it was at least an hour, maybe 90 minutes. I can feel Qarik and Zoomer shuddering all the way from here rolleyes1.gif )
  • Options
    kd5fexkd5fex Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    I cant add anything else to what has been said....but WONDERFUL, nailed it!
    Gallery - http://kd5fex.smugmug.com

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anway" ~ John Wayne
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2013
    Man Diva, you really have blown me away with how much you've grown. The tones are amazing, and so is the emotion you captured here. So many thumbs up you have no idea. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2013
    Oh wow MG (which makes me laugh, since those are also my initials :) ) - you're making me blush! I'm a huge admirer of your work, as you know, so that means a lot.

I gotta hand it to the Creative Live Sue Bryce seminars - I don't go lock stock and barrel for her "guru" self-development stuff (much more of that of late, it seems - the earlier seminars were more technique and less psychology/marketing biased) but her technical approaches finally gave me a workable LANGUAGE to use to pose my clients, as well as some very specific posing techniques which go beyond the "basic" rules one tends to hear all the time; "shoot curvy from above", and "use short lighting" are great and useful, but weren't enough to get me where I want to go. But I now have much more ability to direct my clients *bodies* when I need to thanks to those seminars. I always knew WHAT I wanted to see but without fashion/commercial training or experience didn't quite know *how* to get it from those who couldn't instictively find it for themselves. And, particularly for operatic clients, a touch of magazine/editorial style in processing and mood isn't amiss for websites (and is creeping into headshots as well), so it's useful to have skills to create that "portrait couture" look when I need it. I'm having a blast playing with it :)

More to come from this shoot. You won't believe how different the others we got are............ SO much variety into one shoot! I'm still tired two days after the session (it was only about 4 hrs, but OMG the ENERGY we were all putting out) and shot way too many images, so it's taking time to put together her proofset. I just hope she has a tough time choosing, because from my pov there's just shot after fabulous shot!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2013
    stunning!!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2013
    Hey Diva, and everyone else. Creative Live is rebroadcasting one of Sue Bryce's workshops on posing this weekend. They are even discounting the purchase price of the download of the workshop. If you're interested in watching it, go to: http://www.creativelive.com/watch5

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2013
    Wow. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2013
    Wow...

A very powerful and engaging image! Wonderfully done.

I too have a hard time wrapping my head around spending an hour and a half in post on one image with no extra income.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2013
    Thanks John and Bryce!

Yeah, this one took a lot of work. The problem in much of this shoot was lack of space - I really need more ROOM. A 9ft background in a 20ft space (instead of 4-5ft wide with only 9 ft of shooting length) would have solved many of the problems I'm having to fix in post. BUT, particularly in the case of this image, artistically worth it to me to spend the time; this shot was for me personally as much as for her (although she absolutely loved it!).

BUT.... the difference between my business model and yours, Bryce, is that I charge more for my time up front and I only include 1 full edited/retouched ready-to-print edit (in my student package) or 3 (in my main package). The rest of the images I show the client have basic processing (the client sees NOTHING sooc) but are PROOFS and not fully finished edits. So I'm not fully editing 30 images like you might for a senior or family session; I choose a couple to edit as teasers/samples, and then wait for the client to choose theirs. I've noticed that clients often gravitate towards an image which has already been tweaked, however, so if I have an image I really like and want to subtly nudge them towards, I do that one as one of the teasers; when it's come time to deliver, it's already done.... and they are WAY impressed when they get the final digital copy within a day of requesting it :D

Also, typically clients purchase extra edits above and beyond those included in the package. As long as I've done my job properly and given them enough good shots to choose from, they just can't narrow it down. I LOVE it when that happens - best validation ever!!! I charge for extra edits above and beyond what the package includes, and there have been times when they have ordered up to 100% of the shoot cost in extra edits.

I've found it a good business model for my market - it doesn't scare folks off with too big a number up front (since I'm often dealing with students, or those fresh out of school), but (assuming I've done my job properly!) they have trouble staying within the included edits and purchase extras and purchase those extras. It's not unusual for them to come back to me a few months down the line with requests for additional edits, too (I archive the shoots so it's not a problem).

On another note, the rest of this session is making me CRAZY - REDHEADS!!!!!!!!!! So much energy and expression, but omg, I'm losing my mind over skintones. In multiple different lighting scenarios (many of which I'm now 2nd guessing and wish I'd done differently. Grrr). Will post in due course, but just venting here. :bash
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    On another note, the rest of this session is making me CRAZY - REDHEADS!!!!!!!!!! So much energy and expression, but omg, I'm losing my mind over skintones. In multiple different lighting scenarios (many of which I'm now 2nd guessing and wish I'd done differently. Grrr). Will post in due course, but just venting here. :bash

You could always go back to shooting filmmwink.gif.
    John :
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2013
    Icebear wrote: »
    You could always go back to shooting filmmwink.gif.

There are times like this when it sounds VERY VERY ATTRACTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! rolleyes1.gif At least nobody would care if the "film bias" tweaked colour casts on a redhead lol
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2013
    Wow! That's awesome Diva.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Now this really rocks!!!!!!!!!

My thought exactly. . . and what is that background?
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    My thought exactly. . . and what is that background?
    See Post #8.
    John :
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    I will say I had to do a LOT of work to clean up where we had "fallen off" the bg (it's only 5ft wide, so there was at least a foot missing on either side when I pulled her far enough away from it that she wasn't going to hit it as she turned). One of the many times I wish I had a proper studio space with more ROOM than I do at home; I would just use two of these side-by-side and save myself ridiculous amounts of time.

Diva: One thing you could do is take 2 of those, and lay them down with the shiny side down, and take a knife and cut aprox. 1" down the long side without cutting the foil backing and remove the insulation. Then butt the edges of the foil up against each other and tape them together with duck tape on the back side. This would act like a hinge and you would be able to fold the shiny sides in towards each other to make it like 1 piece. Depending on the texture, you could also paint the back side to any color you would want. This is what Sue Bryce does with her plain white Styrofoam.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2013
    exactly - but.I don't have the space! that's the limiting factor :(