Options

Teaser from Yesterday

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 31, 2013 in People
This is the gal that I mentioned earlier in the week. She was a referral from another family I shot. This gal had photos done at school... a cap and gown shot and a senior formal shot. Mom told me they weren't too happy with the way the pose made her nose look. I didn't find them bad. The photos were actually quite good, very professional.

I have a second session booked with her to do Cap and Gown and a normal senior session. This was for Senior Prom. Actually very happy with the way these turned out. We shot them with the sun pretty high in sky since prom was later in the afternoon and they HAD to have the session the same day.

This was one of the first in the film strip that I liked so I edited it just to get a feel for the set. Would love to hear some comments, good or bad. I will be processing the rest of the shots this week. Pretty girl. Not sure what is so objectionable about her nose.

DSC_2567-Edit-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2013
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2013
    Alex,

Nice work. My only comment would be to see if you could eliminate the vertical shine down the center of her nose.

Sam
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2013
    Thanks guys.

Sam, I can remove quite easily. It's one of those things I always struggle with... do I remove it? Do I leave it?

I will probably tone down the highlight but not remove it completely since the highlight will help give the nose some dimension and slim it a bit.

Thanks.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2013
    Sam wrote: »
    Alex,

Nice work. My only comment would be to see if you could eliminate the vertical shine down the center of her nose.

Sam

Good call. I play with recovery on that.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2013
    Toned down the highlight on the nose a bit. Thanks Sam.

DSC_2567-Edit-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    lzfotolzfoto Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2013
    Beautiful! I really like it. I prefer the one with the toned down nose...makes it look less of an oily issue for the girl...Otherwise great image!
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2013
    Thanks LZ.

BTW, this was the second time I take out my Alien Bees since getting the Vagabond portable battery. I have to say, I really love the extra power I have over using speedlights. A litte heavier equipment to lug around but it was worth the extra effort.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2013
    What a great shot! good job.

I think I like the second one better, seems more refined.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    Money shot. Lovely eyes, great pose, and awesome color. Wow wow wow!
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    Nicely taken i am sure they will like them
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2013
    Thanks guys. Pretty happy with the shot myself. Glad you guys concur.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2013
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    Love the ratio, the short lighting, the skin tone, bokeh. Great shot, not much on the tree but that comes from too many tree hugging jokes. What are you putting your bees thru. Soft box, umbrella??
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2013
    Thanks Hack. I used a 4 foot octobox. Really love the light it puts out and also the round catchlights.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    I like the pic, good use of bokeh and lighting. To me I didn't notice the highlights on the nose. I tend to like sheen on skin, reminds me more of hollywood lighting and how someone looks in person.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2013
    wowza!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    LoganHLoganH Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    Great shot! Love the way the colors pop!

Your Alien Bee's. Which ones are they? Seems you are quite satisfied with them? I am most likely purchasing a B800 in August.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2013
    Thanks everyone.
    LoganH wrote: »
    Great shot! Love the way the colors pop!

Your Alien Bee's. Which ones are they? Seems you are quite satisfied with them? I am most likely purchasing a B800 in August.

I have the regular Alien Bees not the Einsteins. I have both AB400s and AB800s. I like them a lot. Consistent light output and haven't had any problems with them in the few years that I've had them.

I find the AB800 to be a good amount of power for outdoors but indoors, sometimes I can't shoot wide open because it's to much power. That depends though on the light modifier I'm using. I don't think I'd ever get anything stronger than the AB800 for that reason. I just don't need that much power for what I'm shooting and the modifiers I use.

My Smug Site